Demographics and the Electorate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Demographics and the Electorate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographics and the Electorate  (Read 5771 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: September 25, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »

This is a great question - I've been thinking the same myself.

This is also why I think Trump's poor organization should matter. If his only path to victory is a big surge in NCW turnout it seems he would be reliant on a strong GOTV operation. With zero effort from his campaign and a Republican party with lukewarm interest in bringing these (not necessarily Republican even) voters to the polls will he actually be able to do it?

But perhaps it's all wishful thinking. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:26:10 AM »

Question - is there any analysis on what the polls projected turnout is? Obviously a single poll is unreliable, but if you aggregate some you should get a picture of what pollsters are predicting.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »

Aren't there better polls than Reuters to use for this?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:57 PM »

I can't find any other giving projected turnout rates by different groups. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to pollsters stating what the LV screen actually is.

Even without turnout rates don't a lot of pollsters publish crosstabs with nr of respondents included? I'm guessing that would allow backing out what they think the shares of the electorate are.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

This is excellent!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »

I can't find any other giving projected turnout rates by different groups. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to pollsters stating what the LV screen actually is.

Even without turnout rates don't a lot of pollsters publish crosstabs with nr of respondents included? I'm guessing that would allow backing out what they think the shares of the electorate are.

Are you after the raw number of respondents in each demographic group or the %age of the electorate that they are assumed to make up (after weighting)?  I would think the latter would be the more relevant number, and I'm pretty sure that PPP for example always includes those percentages, for example.

The latter, naturally, since that is what would reflect the LV screen. But I think many pollsters publish reweighted nrs in their crosstabs?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »

This should probably be merged with Erc's demographics thread no?

Anyway, this has Trump running behind Romney's white vote margin by 6% running ahead among blacks by 7% (on the margin, mind you) and facing the same margin among Hispanics. To have that translate into running ahead of Romney by 2% in overall margin, clearly pollsters are expecting turnout to be GOP-friendly compared to 4 years ago.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »

LV screens can get thrown when circumstances are weird. If people are disillusioned maybe they drop out of the screens?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »

https://morningconsultintelligence.com/public/mc/160915_topline_Topicals_LIKELY_VOTERS_v3_AP.pdf

This is the type of crosstab I'm talking about. Quote: " All statistics are calculated
with demographic post-stratification weights applied."

In this poll, Clinton leads by 3% and if I read it correctly the white vote share is 75%.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies