Politico: Trump lies once every 195 seconds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:15:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Trump lies once every 195 seconds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Trump lies once every 195 seconds  (Read 1173 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:43:41 PM »

Politco looked at each statement he made over the course of the week

Clinton's rate was once every 3,600 seconds
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »

I don't doubt that. Hillary can set a record for the amount of lies she told in her entire lifetime.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:46:38 PM »

I don't doubt that. Hillary can set a record for the amount of lies she told in her entire lifetime.

You sound angry. Are you a woman?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »

No. And angry women will not deliver Clinton NH.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

So... you did see that Trump apparently lies at 20 times the rate Hillary does, right?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »

The problem is that Trump flips the George Costanza rule - "It's not a lie if you sound like you believe it". When Clinton lies it seems to be a flailing feeling of trying to get this obnoxious thing off my back (ie she makes it very obvious), when Trump lies he makes it feel like he's lying from the gut. Hence, why Clinton is viewed as more dishonest despite obviously not being so.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »

I find it hard to believe he's going 195 seconds between lies. I assume that time is instead filled with white nationalist dog whistling.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »

The problem with trying to measure this is it's impossible to verify the most common type of political lie: the one where they tell you they are going to do something when they get elected.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »

The problem with trying to measure this is it's impossible to verify the most common type of political lie: the one where they tell you they are going to do something when they get elected.

Nope: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

It does appear that voters penalize Clinton more for her lawerly equivocating and spin, especially regarding her email issue than they penalize Trump for his unprecedented level of fact-free hyperbole. 

I think Trump's lies are almost baked in as just part of his act. He lies to make a point, whereas some see Clinton as parsing the truth in order to hide misdeeds.

Sociologists and Political Scientists will probably study this phenomenon for years.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 02:30:18 PM »

I find it hard to believe he's going 195 seconds between lies. I assume that time is instead filled with white nationalist dog whistling.

Well, the guy has to sleep, you know, so it's probably much more often than that while he's awake. Wink
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

Nope: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/

Hmmm yeah I phrased that badly.  It only really works if they win though, and the results depend on how the researchers define a promise and following through on that promise.  I'm sure most politicians will at least make a half-hearted attempt to do some of their major pledges.  Most researchers would probably define these attempts as "keeping a promise" but there's a difference between proposing some bill or plan that has no chance of passing and actually putting a lot of time, effort, and political capital on the line to actually make something happen.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »

That's called cognitive dissonance. Despite all evidence pointing to the contrary, you still believe that Hillary Clinton is more dishonest because. . . she just is.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »

No. And angry women will not deliver Clinton NH.

Of course not. The voters of New Hampshire will, since a majority of them are not stupid delusional bigots.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »

That's called cognitive dissonance. Despite all evidence pointing to the contrary, you still believe that Hillary Clinton is more dishonest because. . . she just is.

Come on now, don't destroy their narrative. You know evidence and facts are just fancy terms for liberal lies.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »

I'd like to see historical record for this.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »

Most politicians are truthful as to what they intend to do in office.  People need to listen to when politicians are talking about MEANS and when they are talking about ENDS.

Promises that involve ends involve other people going along with them.  I have no doubt, for example, that every Republican wants to repeal Obamacare.  None of them have a plan to make it happen that will actually work, as the GOP could not get 60 votes in the Senate to invoke cloture during a filibuster.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies