Longest serving senators of all time: Your favorite? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Longest serving senators of all time: Your favorite? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: title
Robert Byrd (D-WV)

Daniel Inouye (D-HI)

Strom Thurmond (D, then R-SC)

Ted Kennedy (D-MA)

Carl Hayden (D-AZ)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Longest serving senators of all time: Your favorite?  (Read 2898 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: September 25, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »

Well, both Inouye and Thurmond, while I have stark political differences with both of them, were absolutely literal Freedom Fighters, one of whom fought bravely notwithstanding overt government discrimination against his ethnicity, the other of whom voluntarily gave up a cushy judgeship to risk his life in combat. (Both of them received multiple medals, including the Purple Heart, btw). I voted Inouye since I personally found his story to be more impressive, though Thurmond is also a defensible choice.

The other three are terrible, rank HPs.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »

one of whom fought bravely notwithstanding overt government discrimination against his ethnicity

you can't possibly be serious

Um, that was very clearly a reference to Inouye, since I mentioned "the other" had a judgeship, which Thurmond indeed had before WW2 and which Inouye never had in his life.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:31 AM »

All HPs, Hayden least bad. Inouye lived long enough to see himself become an HP.

Curious as to what you mean by this -- I don't really understand how Inouye changed ideologically much at all during his time in Congress, especially if you compare him to some of the people on this very list (Byrd or Thurmond) who changed almost beyond recognition.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:37 AM »

All HPs, Hayden least bad. Inouye lived long enough to see himself become an HP.

Curious as to what you mean by this -- I don't really understand how Inouye changed ideologically much at all during his time in Congress, especially if you compare him to some of the people on this very list (Byrd or Thurmond) who changed almost beyond recognition.

He very probably raped someone in the seventies.

Shame. He was a guy I had a lot of respect for. Sad
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies