How big a disaster will a Hillary Clinton presidency be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:23:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How big a disaster will a Hillary Clinton presidency be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How big a disaster will a Hillary Clinton presidency be?  (Read 1616 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »

Why are you even assuming that such a thing will exist? TRUMP IS ALMOST THE FAVORITE ON 538.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »

A disaster of monumental proportions.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »

Let me balance things out and look at the worst case scenario, with Clinton.  I would like to preface this by saying that the alternative worst case (with Trump) would be nuclear Armageddon!

I disagree with your assessment that a Trump presidency would bring nuclear war.  In fact, I think the opposite is more likely.  As you know the US and Russia is already on the brink of war in Syria.  The US Air force bombed a Syrian air force based intentionally a week ago.  And now US is sending special forces to station them in northern Syria.  If Hillary becomes president, her administration will pursue the same policy and that will guide the US down the path to an inevitable confrontation with Russia, Syria, Iran and China. 

On the other hand, if Trump becomes president, I believe he would reduce the tension between US and Russia by finding a solution in Syria and not continue to pursue the anti-Russian anti-China foreign policy.

First of all, I never said that Trump's presidency would bring nuclear war - just that a worst case scenario would be a nuclear war. The reason for this is entirely factual - Trump has shown to be not versed in policies he needs to pursue and willing to "wing it" instead. On top of that, he has also demonstrated a huge weakness , through an ego that he can't control. With possibilities like Iran, North Korea, ISIS or Russia, it is not difficult to imagine these drawbacks leading Trump to a scenario of a nuclear war!

As for Trump reducing tensions with Russia, that will not happen. Putin is currently happy with Trump, not because he believes he can deal with him, but because he believes that Trump's inexperience and lack of preparation would make him a weak President. If Trump tried to stand up to Putin, we would have more tension than we have now.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »

You want Republicans to gerrymander themselves out of office?

Huh?

I agree with gsmiro for the most part. The only positive for the GOP might be that the 2018 midterms could very well end up being the best thing that's happened to the Republican Party since Reagan.

Republicans saw their best gains after Reagan. 2010 or 1994 would be the best, though I would argue 2010 as the huge redistricting advantage has fortified their majorities in the House and in many state legislatures against almost anything but a large wave.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »

Remember the presidency of poor old William Henry Harrison, inaugurated at the age of 68 in 1841?

Kempros
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »

Risky, not sure. Comey called her "Extremely Careless", which raises some serious doubts. "We are screwed 2016"
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »

I hope all you negative thinkers and naysayers are wrong about Hillary.

As the first female President I hope she surprises you all.

Don't forget that she knows how to forge friendships and alliances in Congress. She knows how to compromise. She is not like Obama in that way.

I predict a successful Presidency. She will show you what she's made of by her actions.

Look for it.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

Massive, of course, but that doesn't mean the alternative wouldn't be even worse.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 03:16:48 PM »

Worst case scenario with Hillary Clinton is she's forced to backtrack on the TPP, forced to backtrack on $15/hr, accomplishes nothing on universal healthcare (the Obamacare status quo holds), and basically looks like a do-nothing stooge of big business.

There will be a massive Left-Right assault on her, both in 2018 and in 2020.  In fact, the 2018 midterms could very well sweep into power an openly hostile congress capable of overriding vetoes.  Vulnerable Democratic Senators include Bill Nelson (FL), Joe Donnelly (IN), Claire McCaskill (MO), Jon Tester (MT), Heidi Heitkamp (ND), Sherrod Brown (OH), Joe Manchin (WV), Tim Kaine's replacement (VA), and Bob Casey (PA).  Only eight GOP seats will be up for reelection.

Meanwhile, she will be unable to navigate the social and racial minefields that Obama (all things considered) has been able to get through.  Ruling by executive order won't work for her for a number of reasons, and all sorts of unrest, especially from alt-right groups and social conservatives, will tax her and the nation to the breaking point.

Finally, while Garland is confirmed in 2017, the balance of power in the Supreme Court ultimately shifts towards the conservatives, as the Senate refuses to confirm RGB's replacement, and Kennedy holds out, and a replacement for Breyer is a complete non-starter.

So the disaster would be one of an impotent president facing a hostile Congress and a period of growing unrest.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:20 PM »

Probably not that bad - the economy will finally improve to a point where incomes are growing, the efforts of the previous administrations foreign policy will finally pay dividends in terms of the defeat of ISIS. Sure, she will be constantly tangled with by the (I assume) GOP House, who are going to attempt to impeach her, but I think on the whole things will go okay. Gridlock will be horrifying, possibly worse than in the Obama era.

Despite all this, I have a hard time believing she would be re-elected, mainly because she won't get much credit for those accomplishments.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »

I think she will be somewhat stronger than Obama for a couple of reasons:

1) She is a better negotiator.

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »

Likely to start a war with Russia and maybe China, let in a bunch of Muslim terrorists, and generally destroy the middle class completely.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »

Worst case scenario with Hillary Clinton is she's forced to backtrack on the TPP

Forced how?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You seriously think Republicans have a shot at 67+ Senators and 291+ Representatives? They aren't going to get close to that. A really good wave for Republicans could see them with a bare/small supermajority in the Senate if they hold the chamber this year - that much I will concede. But even close to 290 Reps? Come on. Even 260 sounds like a fever dream.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose that depends on when RBG* and Breyer would retire/pass away. If it's at the beginning of 2019, it's difficult to see Republicans blockading for almost 2 years. I would be careful with the thinking that just because they did it once for almost a year, that it's suddenly the new norm for parties to block judicial appointments for as long as it takes for them to get their own guy in the presidency.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »

I don't think it will be, and if the Republicans nominate another bozo like Ted Cruz, I think she'll be re-elected.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 06:19:24 PM »

Unquestionably less than a Trump presidency. Which is why I'm voting for her.

The US will survive Clinton. It won't survive 4+ years of the Trumps.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 07:07:49 AM »

Clinton presidency is sure not to be a disaster for Russia. Putin has lots of damaging evidence about Clinton and the Kremlin has been considering two options: either to publish it in October or not to publish anything to blackmail Clinton after she is elected. I know for sure that during the so-called "recet"  Clinton Foundation provided financial support for Skolkovo research center (located  near Moscow)   and handed over newest technologies for creating laser  weapons. That action was well documented and there is no problem to publish the documents. But Putin hasn't taken the decision yet.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2016, 07:35:01 AM »

Trump is likely to be President IMO, he hit her very hard that why could you not get things done in 20-30 years as a Senator, as a First Lady with huge influence in administration(including healthcare) toCSecretary of State. I mean she has no leverage to talk about Foreign policy when she is a disaster or trade when she has supported every disaster of a deal

Trump had the best line which he hammered time n again - "Why did you not do anything for the last 20-30 years when you could have done this & had tremendous influence?". Clinton has the party on her pocket, every senator & congressman, DNC & she was Secretary of State.

This thing will only blow up more in future debates.

As for how Clinton would be, she would be a good Republican debate. She has already aborted healthcare & didn't speak 1 line on Healthcare n gave lip service on Min Wage or Climate change when Trump hammered her on Infra spending. She has aborted Tuition free for Debt Free now it seems.

She has no CREDIBILITY & will do anything to be elected. Hillary is Kevin Spacey in House of Cards
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »

It is terrifying to me right now that we are about to elect a totally unqualified woman with no moral compass to do such a critically important job just because she could memorize a few quirky comebacks at a debate that she so obviously had her staff prepare for her beforehand. I did not think the American people were this stupid, but that's undecided voters for you, huh? The continued existence of America as a country is very much in jeopardy. Hopefully the revolution comes sooner rather than later to minimize our suffering.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »

It is terrifying to me right now that we are about to elect a totally unqualified woman with no moral compass to do such a critically important job just because she could memorize a few quirky comebacks at a debate that she so obviously had her staff prepare for her beforehand. I did not think the American people were this stupid, but that's undecided voters for you, huh? The continued existence of America as a country is very much in jeopardy. Hopefully the revolution comes sooner rather than later to minimize our suffering.
I guess we found the anti-ag...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »

I just wanted to compare this to the other thread about Trump.  There seems to be an ant-GOP bias.

Well, the GOP has an anti-fact bias these days, so you can hardly blame those of us who call that out.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »

Coming from somebody, like you, who wants to destroy America and the world, and kill personally me and my children, this is gross.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »

I guess we found the anti-ag...

He is a baby in this.
elcorazon

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »

the stupidity in this post is just mind-boggling to me.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

the stupidity in this post is just mind-boggling to me.

He is just trying a pale imitation of me. But whereas I mean what I say, he does not, and it shows.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies