HB 2016-1037 - Amendment to Art. 1 Sec. 5 of The Constitution (WITHDRAWN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:43:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1037 - Amendment to Art. 1 Sec. 5 of The Constitution (WITHDRAWN)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HB 2016-1037 - Amendment to Art. 1 Sec. 5 of The Constitution (WITHDRAWN)  (Read 839 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »

I propose this amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »

Honestly, "privacy" is a horribly vague word to the point of being virtually useless as a safeguard against tyranny. If the House is looking to protect a right to privacy, I strongly suggest y'all take a look at the section of the Northern Bill of Rights I posted above.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »

Honestly, "privacy" is a horribly vague word to the point of being virtually useless as a safeguard against tyranny. If the House is looking to protect a right to privacy, I strongly suggest y'all take a look at the section of the Northern Bill of Rights I posted above.

Before I do anything, can you provide an example of someone taking advantage of the word "privacy"?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »

Before I do anything, can you provide an example of someone taking advantage of the word "privacy"?
My concern isn't that people would abuse this right, but that the lack of a specific definition of what "privacy" means in a constitutional setting makes it easy for ill-intentioned politicians to "discover" loopholes whenever it suits their purposes. The current wording leaves everything open to interpretation - it's not clear what this right applies to, or what kinds of governmental actions it prohibits. Is electronic communication protected under this amendment? What about online forums like Atlas, where users are posting anonymously? Does privacy extend outside the four walls of your house? Are  gatherings of multiple people private? Does your right to privacy extend to electronic devices, like your phone? Conceivably, the answer to all these questions could be yes, or no, or sometimes, and it's up to the relevant official to decide. That means that this "right" is highly malleable and subject to varying interpretations. That's why I think it's important to specify just what sorts of activities are private - that way, if these rights are infringed, we have a very clear case for why those actions violated the constitution, instead of vague arguments based on colloquial understandings of the word "privacy."
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Having been convinced by the Secretary of State, I withdraw the amendment. I'll be working on writing another right to privacy bill.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 11:34:26 PM »

As this has been withdrawn, this is now CLOSED!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies