What is your ideal demographic coalition?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:49:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is your ideal demographic coalition?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What is your ideal demographic coalition?  (Read 4618 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

In an idealized version of your preferred party, what are the demographics that form the base? In my perfect Democratic Party, the coalition would be made up of working-class whites, African Americans, and non-Latino Catholics.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »

People who believe in economic conservatism/pro-business policies, those who support a strong military (and presumably the vast majority of those who are serving or who have served) and those with strong morally conservative views (I acknowledge the need for a big tent) - preferably a racial makeup in each group that matches the country as a whole.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »

The working class, Jews, and Catholics regardless of race.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:08:13 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2018, 10:57:59 PM by Speaker Scott🦋 »

Rural voters, Christians, the working-class, non-college educated people regardless of race, and the LGBT community.

Not feasible in the current climate, I know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:03 AM »

Ideally? I'd like everybody to agree with my politics, of course.

If we're talking about a minimum-winning coalition, my pipe dream would be more or less a redux of what made the strength of Scandinavian Social-Democracy: near-unanimous working-class support fueled by organic ties with labor unions, supplemented by some segments of the middle class (public workers, women, etc.). Ethnicity and religion and type of area should have no influence, positively or negatively, after controlling for these factors.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »

The No Religion/Unaffiliated/Don't give a shinks liberal white, Hispanic,  black, asian, Muslim, LGBT, communities with a splash of 'liberal redneck'. So basically the current Democratic coalition.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2016, 02:33:48 PM by Snowguy716 »

I just want everyone to get along.  OR ELSE.

But really...I don't know what my coalition would be.  The left minus  Big Granola or the militant schadenfreude types...and the you do you but here hon let me buy you some lunch conservative types.

Basically...the DFL.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2016, 02:42:44 PM by Phyllis Dare, Secret Agent »

Oh and I forgot to mention Asian-Americans and some higher-status bobo types to prevent whatever party this is (almost certainly the Democrats, but you never know) from going full Christopher Lasch. The bobos, especially, shouldn't be a demographically or ideologically dominant part of the coalition, but better have them with us than give them over to the Western Ukrainians.

Ideally LGBT issues as such would become less potently charged and subject to some sort of broadly-liberal consensus, the exact parameters of which I don't pretend to be qualified to determine, so that LGBT people would generally be able to and feel comfortable voting along preexisting ideological lines. The Rod Dreher types in my coalition can suck it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »

One that transcends socioeconomic and racial lines rather than deepening them.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »

Oh and I forgot to mention Asian-Americans and some higher-status bobo types to prevent whatever party this is (almost certainly the Democrats, but you never know) from going full Christopher Lasch. The bobos, especially, shouldn't be a demographically or ideologically dominant part of the coalition, but better have them with us than give them over to the Western Ukrainians.

Ideally LGBT issues as such would become less potently charged and subject to some sort of broadly-liberal consensus, the exact parameters of which I don't pretend to be qualified to determine, so that LGBT people would generally be able to and feel comfortable voting along preexisting ideological lines. The Rod Dreher types in my coalition can suck it.

Boo! Hiss!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »

Boo! Hiss!

On this particular issue. On other issues they/you would have much more of a say. I don't aspire to be a Patrick Brown of the economic left.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »

All Protestant, all the time. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »

Would you let Brian McLaren into your coalition before Peter Kreeft?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2016, 02:23:51 PM by RFayette »

Almost certainly no, upon a Google search of the two.  I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I implied only Protestants would be included, as I'd imagine my positions would be attractive to a lot of conservative Catholics, especially as I am more economically centrist than the median Republican.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »

Almost certainly, yes, upon a Google search of the two.

Really? Huh.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »

Whoops, I meant to say no, as I think is clear from my statement thereafter.  McLaren seems awful.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »

Minorities, Jews, Educateds, Millenials
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »

My "life, marriage, Israel" coalition would probably consist of white Evangelicals, conservative Catholics, hawkish Jews and blacks who are looking for leaders who will give them a hand up instead of a handout.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »

Upper Middle Class Whites, Hispanics, Asians, College Educated voters.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »

Whenever I hear this line I always think enviously about how cute and clever it must sound to people who've never gone to bed hungry.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2016, 04:07:31 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Suburban white voters, middle-class voters, African-Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Jewish Voters, Asian American voters, Hindu/Sikh voters, Mainstream Protestant/Catholic/Mormon voters.

Ideologically, this party would be socially moderate (but still pro-Life and somewhat traditional), pro-business fiscal conservatives, and hawkish on foreign policy/national security issues. My party, despite being more moderate on some social issues, would not be secular but not religiously fundamental either (so i'd want the John Danforth's of the world, not the Jerry Falwell's or Rick Santorum's).

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »

People who agree with me. Don't really care which people colours or regional coalitions come together to achieve this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 07:05:08 PM »

Boo! Hiss!

On this particular issue. On other issues they/you would have much more of a say. I don't aspire to be a Patrick Brown of the economic left.

Glad to hear it! Would you mind elaborating though? What sort of stuff would the Dreherists have free rein on?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »

As for the OP,

Take the current GOP coalition. Kick out the lame mainline Protestants. Nathan doesn't count here. I'm talking about the fiscally conservative, socially liberal, Mom wants the kids baptized at St. Michael's Episcopal Church, mainliners. Add religious Hispanics, both Catholic and Protestant, as well as middle class, religious blacks.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 07:24:54 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2016, 07:27:29 PM by ClintonianCake »

Sexy people who think I look cool
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length