Who won the first debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:51:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the first debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Huh
Clinton (I support Clinton)

Clinton (I support Trump)

Clinton (I support Other)

Trump (I support Clinton)

Trump (I support Trump)

Trump (I support Other)

Tie (I support Clinton)

Tie (I support Trump)

Tie (I support Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 297

Author Topic: Who won the first debate?  (Read 9717 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

Hillary Clinton was taking multiple victory laps towards the end (while smiling)....Trump got massacred!
kyc0705

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:32 PM »

Just going to leave this fiery tweet from Jerry Springer right here: https://twitter.com/jerryspringer/status/780601736327208960

(Oh, by the way, Springer was the mayor of Cincinnati in the late '70s. Even HE has more governing experience than Donald Trump).
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »

Hillary supporters will say Hillary won and Trump supporters will say Trump won, but the last 30 minutes was horrendous for Trump. Once the crime question was asked and his only example of a crime-ridden city was Chicago
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »

Lol at the drudge poll saying trump won. So delusional.
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2016, 10:06:56 PM »

Clinton absolutely steamrolled Trump. I didn't think he was going to fail that spectacularly tonight.

No kidding; I had low expectations for Trump, and he managed to underachieve those.  Clinton was very good, especially as the debate went on, maneuvering Trump and knocking him off-balance.

I don't know how it will actually affect the polls; I wouldn't think debates in 2016 would have a huge effect on the polls, but the first debate in 2012 had a bigger effect than I thought.  It was a different situation though, a challenger looking good on the same stage as an incumbent President.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2016, 10:07:51 PM »

Just going to leave this fiery tweet from Jerry Springer right here: https://twitter.com/jerryspringer/status/780601736327208960

(Oh, by the way, Springer was the mayor of Cincinnati in the late '70s. Even HE has more governing experience than Donald Trump).

LOL!

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:18 PM »

I think early on, Trump was getting the better of her, but then it went fownhill from there. She was able to focus her attacks and put him on the back foot. I reckon her line "I prepared for the debate and the Presidency" (I'm paraphrasing obviously) is going to be the soundbite line of the week.

Overall, I'd say Hillary edged it. She didn't annihilate him, but it won't hurt her. Moreover, she's exposed Trump's business failings, which is a winning strategy. I was worried she'd try and act "Presidential", but it seems like my fears were unfounded. The worry now is that Trump will come out swinging in debate two. Hopefully Kaine can lay it on Pence in the VP debate.

So all in all, slight edge to Hillary. Trump had her down early on, but she was able to keep her cool and hit back effectively.

Also, am I the only one who heard some laughter when Trump said he had the best temperament?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:43 PM »

Going solely by this debate:

Does Clinton represent experience or business as usual?

Does Trump represent a economic vampire or a numbers guru?

These are the questions we should be asking ourselves, as well as other questions like them.

People want a general overall feel for candidates. They don't care about 'specifics.' I did not hear much specifics from either, anyway. It was mostly both of them whining about fact checking. Most of the specifics actually said were standard talking points like the minimum wage. Nobody had a concrete plan for anything.

I voted Trump won (other), because Clinton ultimately played Trump's game. Even if she is seen as the 'winner,' he is getting he to turn up the nasty again. That hurt her before. It could hurt her again. But I wouldn't be surprised if people thought Clinton won this round.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2016, 10:11:17 PM »

trump

My Dad's more liberal, partisan, and less likely to understand WHY trump than I am and even he admitted this.

Clinton musta really blown it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »

Lol at the drudge poll saying trump won. So delusional.

It is Drudge Report. We need to make allowances for that.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

The fact that Trump supporters are saying it's a tie should speak volumes.

We're getting an impeachment no matter who wins, the VP debate is what really matters....
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »

Most of the specifics actually said were standard talking points like the minimum wage. Nobody had a concrete plan for anything.

There isn't enough time to be comprehensive about anything really. They give the gist, and the voter should go on each candidate's websites and do research of their own. There is only so much the candidates themselves can address in a debate. It's not realistic to expect them not to throw jabs at each other, which further reduces time to be substantive.

I didn't watch the debate, but it's nice to read all the comments on how well Hillary did.

hermit!! WATCH IT!

You have to. It's the first debate of the weirdest election in modern history. You can't not watch it!
Mallow
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »

As of now...
Amongst Trump supporters:
Clinton won--43%
Trump won--38%
Tie--19%

Amongst Clinton supporters:
Clinton won--84%
Trump won--5%
Tie--1%

Amongst other supporters:
Clinton won--77%
Trump won--18%
Tie--5%

Seems pretty clear who "won" the initial reactions contest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:13 PM »

I don't think it will change the dynamics of the race much, if at all.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:34 PM »

trump

My Dad's more liberal, partisan, and less likely to understand WHY trump than I am and even he admitted this.

Clinton musta really blown it.
Did you not watch the same thing I did.  You must not have.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 10:14:56 PM »

Huge win for Clinton. There is speculation that Trump might skip the rest of the debates. It was that bad for him
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »

Neither. Why did we have to put these two up really? Good Job America.

Because voters are freaking idiots.

Can we go back to Feudalism?
Fargobison

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »

Trump won the first quarter but after that it was HRC big league. Not sure I've ever seen the wheels fall off so badly for a candidate before like they did for Donnie.

Early I actually thought Trump was going to make HRC sweat but by the end of the debate she was running up the score.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »

Trump did what he had to do, but I want to see him go for the knockout in the final debate. Vegas would be the perfect venue.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »

I don't think it will change the dynamics of the race much, if at all.

There is still a good chunk of undecideds and third party voters. Trump won't lose support, but Clinton could make some gains.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »

Trump now shown on MSNBC very upset with his aides
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »

Huge win for Clinton. There is speculation that Trump might skip the rest of the debates. It was that bad for him

I didn't hear about that. Can I have a link?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »

Clinton obviously (I support other)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »

Most of the specifics actually said were standard talking points like the minimum wage. Nobody had a concrete plan for anything.

There isn't enough time to be comprehensive about anything really. They give the gist, and the voter should go on each candidate's websites and do research of their own. There is only so much the candidates themselves can address in a debate. It's not realistic to expect them not to throw jabs at each other, which further reduces time to be substantive.

I didn't watch the debate, but it's nice to read all the comments on how well Hillary did.

hermit!! WATCH IT!

You have to. It's the first debate of the weirdest election in modern history. You can't not watch it!

Nope. I can't stand to listen to Trump, the way he goes all over the place. All his hand gesticulations. All the BS that comes out of his lips. His mental instability....

I already know where Hillary is coming from and that's enough for me. I don't need to listen to her any more than I already do.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »

hermit!! WATCH IT!

Nope. I can't stand to listen to Trump, the way he goes all over the place. All his hand gesticulations. All the BS that comes out of his lips. His mental instability....

I already know where Hillary is coming from and that's enough for me. I don't need to listen to her any more than I already do.

You have to. It's tremendous. Believe me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies