Who won the first debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:27:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the first debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Poll
Question: Huh
Clinton (I support Clinton)

Clinton (I support Trump)

Clinton (I support Other)

Trump (I support Clinton)

Trump (I support Trump)

Trump (I support Other)

Tie (I support Clinton)

Tie (I support Trump)

Tie (I support Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 297

Author Topic: Who won the first debate?  (Read 9854 times)
dax00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2016, 11:31:32 PM by billiards rulebook »

Hmm. I've been looking around online for online polls concerning who won this debate. From the 4 Dem-leaning polls I found, Hillary was in a range of roughly 45-62%, avg about 58%. From the 6 Rep-leaning polls I found, Trump was anywhere between 42-80%, avg about 58%.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2016, 11:30:47 PM »

Hmm. I've been looking around online for online polls concerning who won this debate. Of the 4 Dem-leaning polls I found, Hillary was in a range of roughly 45-62%, avg about 58%. Of the 6 Rep-leaning polls I found, Trump was anywhere between 42-80%, avg about 58%.

So basically no consensus at all. Seems right.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2016, 11:31:08 PM »

Something I noticed that could be very troubling for Trump in the next debate: he seemed to only relate to problems in places where he has buildings. He noted multiple times - "I have many buildings in Chicago, it's a mess there" "I have a building in Palm beach, very not racist" "I have a building in Saudi Arabia"...

Trump lacks the emotional empathy to do well in a town hall debate.

And the Dem-leaning polls have far better methodology. The R-leaning polls are polls where it's online polls and any old joe can vote as many times as they want. There's a larger net presence for Trump than there is for Clinton. The fact she's even close speaks volumes about how bad he did.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »

Basically this again

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2016, 11:36:57 PM »

Hmm. I've been looking around online for online polls concerning who won this debate. Of the 4 Dem-leaning polls I found, Hillary was in a range of roughly 45-62%, avg about 58%. Of the 6 Rep-leaning polls I found, Trump was anywhere between 42-80%, avg about 58%.

So basically no consensus at all. Seems right.

So... can we please stop giving these garbage polls any credence?
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »

Clinging to lame online polls like Drudge seems like an excellent course of action for republicans. I approve!
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »

Donald was unprepared and it showed. Some people like that about him...I used to be one of them. But the non-politician, unpredictable, tell-it-like-it-is act isn't cute anymore. Hillary was measured, well-prepared, and displayed tenacious wit compared to Donald's amateurish comebacks. This is why she and her husband are so effective at politics. They know how to slither their way to victory and have been lucky in who their opponents have been. I enjoyed every minute of the debate and think Donald looked like a clown fart.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2016, 11:54:52 PM »

So I was just watching CNN highlights and Trump flubbed so many "gimme" zinger lines. A question on cyber security and no mention of the emails? She used her Benghazi testimony as an example of her stamina, and he didn't reply with "Oh, I've never had to testify for an entire day before Congress, since I've never caused the death of an ambassador." I'm sure there were more of these too.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »

Just saw Robert Costa on MSNBC mention Rudy Giuliani say Trump might skip the other two debates
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »

So I was just watching CNN highlights and Trump flubbed so many "gimme" zinger lines. A question on cyber security and no mention of the emails? She used her Benghazi testimony as an example of her stamina, and he didn't reply with "Oh, I've never had to testify for an entire day before Congress, since I've never caused the death of an ambassador." I'm sure there were more of these too.

I was waiting for Trump to attack both times. Nothing. What a loser.
Panda Express

« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »

This debate was a HILLDAWG BEATDOWN
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2016, 01:32:41 AM »

The bar was set so low for Donald that he tripped right over it.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2016, 02:06:58 AM »

Hillary, no question. But no total knock out.

The Trumpster lost because of his lack of knowledge that we’ve seen multiple times. Simply the lack of substance in his whole campaign. The best example in my judgement; he repeated the murder statistics in Chicago several times because he needed time to think what to answer.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2016, 02:08:38 AM »

Clinton easily. Trump wouldn't have gotten over the bar even if it was set in the ground and had a concrete floor over the top.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:39 AM »

Just saw Robert Costa on MSNBC mention Rudy Giuliani say Trump might skip the other two debates

I would not doubt it.
trump knows he got smashed, and is now chicken to step into the arena once again.
LOL.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:42 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 02:45:17 AM by ProudModerate2 »

This pretty-much sums it up ....

.... I enjoyed every minute of the debate and think Donald looked like a clown fart.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 03:10:02 AM »

Watched from the trump hotel.   Trump isnt speaking to the political hacks like ones found on this forum. Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks.  Remember during the primary nights like this the same stuff was said of how trump lost and looked stupid etc.  The media narrative each time was that Rubio won.  We all know how that turned out when the voters actually voted.   Trump isnt running as the type of candidate Hillary has to run as.  Hes basically avg joe running for president. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2016, 03:31:52 AM »

Watched from the trump hotel.   Trump isnt speaking to the political hacks like ones found on this forum. Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks.  Remember during the primary nights like this the same stuff was said of how trump lost and looked stupid etc.  The media narrative each time was that Rubio won.  We all know how that turned out when the voters actually voted.   Trump isnt running as the type of candidate Hillary has to run as.  Hes basically avg joe running for president. 

Speaking to “simple minded folks” isn’t a justification for lies and putting out wrong facts.

And, more important: I want to see what these “simple minded folks” are saying if the Trumpster gets into office without delivering results. His lack of knowledge and substance has once again showed us, that he has no real solutions for the problems of these “simple minded folks”. He hasn’t a clue. He failed to lay out specific solutions for any problems. And these “solutions” he’s put out have been disproved over and over again by independent and even conservative fact checkers. Fact checking may be boring, but a falsehood doesn’t become true/effective if you just repeat it multiple times. It just won’t work. These “simple minds folks” will rub their eyes if President Trump starts a trade war, blows the deficit, loses millions of jobs and weakens America’s standing in the world (just to name a few consequences of his election).
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2016, 03:36:48 AM »

Speaking to “simple minded folks” isn’t a justification for lies and putting out wrong facts.

And, more important: I want to see what these “simple minded folks” are saying if the Trumpster gets into office without delivering results. His lack of knowledge and substance has once again showed us, that he has no real solutions for the problems of these “simple minded folks”. He hasn’t a clue. He failed to lay out specific solutions for any problems. And these “solutions” he’s put out have been disproved over and over again by independent and even conservative fact checkers. Fact checking may be boring, but a falsehood doesn’t become true/effective if you just repeat it multiple times. It just won’t work. These “simple minds folks” will rub their eyes if President Trump starts a trade war, blows the deficit, loses millions of jobs and weakens America’s standing in the world (just to name a few consequences of his election).

Neither did Hillary.   No politician gives very detailed specific policy during a campaign.    Can anyone remember specific Obamacare policy being laid out in 2008? 

Nobody cares about fact checking because if they did Hillary wouldn't be on that stage.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2016, 03:47:59 AM »

Neither did Hillary.   No politician gives very detailed specific policy during a campaign.    Can anyone remember specific Obamacare policy being laid out in 2008? 

Nobody cares about fact checking because if they did Hillary wouldn't be on that stage.

Hillary Clinton put out detailed plans on her website and she proved at the debate, that she’s well aware of the problems, at home and abroad. She proved, that she sees them in all their complexity. Not so her opponent. Once again he demonstrated his lack of knowledge on many issues, on many occasions. Someone who isn’t aware of problems as they are, not as he likes them to be, isn’t capable for the job.

Sure, you can’t explain very complex things in two minute answers, but it is clear that she has the background knowledge Mr. Trump lacks. Even more troubling is his ignorance and unwillingness to prepare and to learn. This also makes him unfit in terms of character.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2016, 03:59:39 AM »

The question isn't who won the first debate, the question is how badly did Hillary Clinton eviscerate Donald Trump and when will he drop out?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2016, 04:02:23 AM »

The question isn't who won the first debate, the question is how badly did Hillary Clinton eviscerate Donald Trump and when will he drop out?

He’ll drop out November 8.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2016, 04:09:01 AM »

He’ll drop out November 8.

As will everyone else of course. Smiley

Trump had the edge, from what I saw, for the first half an hour, then Hillary overwhelmingly won the rest.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2016, 04:32:31 AM »

I think there is one very simple and important metric to evaluate the debate.

Trump started off being very non-Trump, referring to her as Secretary Clinton, saying he agreed with her on issues, being nice and polite. This clearly shows his campaign people (some of whom are now reasonably competent) have concluded that the Trump thing doesn't work and that his base of deplorables is insufficient to win the election. They concluded he needed the presidential pivot to reel back in college-educated whites.

This strategy quickly fell apart completely because Trump is Trump. He didn't manage to do what his own campaign clearly thought he needed to do. That's a defeat. Also note that he brought no new material but was focused on existing talking points while Clinton had new lines of attacks.

Additionally, I suspect his conciliatory tone won't help enthuse his base and the way the debate on economics played out made him sound more like generic Republican than someone who can steal working class whites and Sanders supporters.

Furthermore, this debate covered economics, national security and making America great again. Polling indicates these are Trump's strong areas. Once we do stuff like immigration and education I suspect he'll struggle even more.

egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:28 AM »

Such polls are pointless here as the forum is crowded by Clinton backers. The person who won was Lester Heil Clinton, who is to get press-secretary position in Clinton's administration.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies