Who won the first debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the first debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: Huh
Clinton (I support Clinton)

Clinton (I support Trump)

Clinton (I support Other)

Trump (I support Clinton)

Trump (I support Trump)

Trump (I support Other)

Tie (I support Clinton)

Tie (I support Trump)

Tie (I support Other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 297

Author Topic: Who won the first debate?  (Read 9859 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2016, 05:03:47 AM »

Watched from the trump hotel.   Trump isnt speaking to the political hacks like ones found on this forum. Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks.  Remember during the primary nights like this the same stuff was said of how trump lost and looked stupid etc.  The media narrative each time was that Rubio won.  We all know how that turned out when the voters actually voted.   Trump isnt running as the type of candidate Hillary has to run as.  Hes basically avg joe running for president. 

Speaking to “simple minded folks” isn’t a justification for lies and putting out wrong facts.

And, more important: I want to see what these “simple minded folks” are saying if the Trumpster gets into office without delivering results. His lack of knowledge and substance has once again showed us, that he has no real solutions for the problems of these “simple minded folks”. He hasn’t a clue. He failed to lay out specific solutions for any problems. And these “solutions” he’s put out have been disproved over and over again by independent and even conservative fact checkers. Fact checking may be boring, but a falsehood doesn’t become true/effective if you just repeat it multiple times. It just won’t work. These “simple minds folks” will rub their eyes if President Trump starts a trade war, blows the deficit, loses millions of jobs and weakens America’s standing in the world (just to name a few consequences of his election).

Neither did Hillary.   No politician gives very detailed specific policy during a campaign.    Can anyone remember specific Obamacare policy being laid out in 2008? 

Nobody cares about fact checking because if they did Hillary wouldn't be on that stage.

Hillary Clinton put out detailed plans on her website and she proved at the debate, that she’s well aware of the problems, at home and abroad. She proved, that she sees them in all their complexity. Not so her opponent. Once again he demonstrated his lack of knowledge on many issues, on many occasions. Someone who isn’t aware of problems as they are, not as he likes them to be, isn’t capable for the job.

Sure, you can’t explain very complex things in two minute answers, but it is clear that she has the background knowledge Mr. Trump lacks. Even more troubling is his ignorance and unwillingness to prepare and to learn. This also makes him unfit in terms of character.

He isn't supposed to have all the political insider knowledge  that a politician knows.   Thats the whole point of his campaign 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »

Watched from the trump hotel.   Trump isnt speaking to the political hacks like ones found on this forum. Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks.  Remember during the primary nights like this the same stuff was said of how trump lost and looked stupid etc.  The media narrative each time was that Rubio won.  We all know how that turned out when the voters actually voted.   Trump isnt running as the type of candidate Hillary has to run as.  Hes basically avg joe running for president. 

Speaking to “simple minded folks” isn’t a justification for lies and putting out wrong facts.

And, more important: I want to see what these “simple minded folks” are saying if the Trumpster gets into office without delivering results. His lack of knowledge and substance has once again showed us, that he has no real solutions for the problems of these “simple minded folks”. He hasn’t a clue. He failed to lay out specific solutions for any problems. And these “solutions” he’s put out have been disproved over and over again by independent and even conservative fact checkers. Fact checking may be boring, but a falsehood doesn’t become true/effective if you just repeat it multiple times. It just won’t work. These “simple minds folks” will rub their eyes if President Trump starts a trade war, blows the deficit, loses millions of jobs and weakens America’s standing in the world (just to name a few consequences of his election).

Neither did Hillary.   No politician gives very detailed specific policy during a campaign.    Can anyone remember specific Obamacare policy being laid out in 2008? 

Nobody cares about fact checking because if they did Hillary wouldn't be on that stage.

Hillary Clinton put out detailed plans on her website and she proved at the debate, that she’s well aware of the problems, at home and abroad. She proved, that she sees them in all their complexity. Not so her opponent. Once again he demonstrated his lack of knowledge on many issues, on many occasions. Someone who isn’t aware of problems as they are, not as he likes them to be, isn’t capable for the job.

Sure, you can’t explain very complex things in two minute answers, but it is clear that she has the background knowledge Mr. Trump lacks. Even more troubling is his ignorance and unwillingness to prepare and to learn. This also makes him unfit in terms of character.

He isn't supposed to have all the political insider knowledge  that a politician knows.   Thats the whole point of his campaign 

That giving nukes to Saudi Arabia is a bad idea or that starting a war with Iran is a bad idea or that invading Syria with ground forces is a bad idea or that bankrupting the US by reneging on debt is a bad idea or that dismantling the WTO and NATO are bad ideas is none of it "political insider knowledge". It's just knowledge.

Of course, understanding how to do politics is ALSO important if you wanna get things done as knows anyone who knows anything about US politics. If you're truly THAT ignorant about your country maybe you should let other people vote and stay out of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2016, 06:44:28 AM »

Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks. 

Yeah this isn't patronising or offensive at all!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »

Rosie O'Donnell. Bigly.
mencken
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2016, 07:01:02 AM »

Did anyone else enjoy how their apparel colors matched Atlas colors?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2016, 07:11:13 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 07:36:50 AM by Shadows »

Hillary Clinton narrowly won because Trump under-performed & tried to take a high line. He didn't hit her hard on Libya, Iraq, Wall Street Speeches, Clinton Foundation, the emails, etc & Clinton hit him hard.

From Rossie to workers he didn't pay to his lawsuit for racial discrimination, etc Clinton hammered him personally but Trump didn't go that hard on her.

Having said that I really liked how Clinton started, she was very strong on Trickle Down economics & tax cuts & how Trump evaded taxes. Clinton was weak on economy & policy. She just used the Minimum Wage n Education as talking form. She said "DEBT FREE" & not "TUITION FREE" which is now supposed to be her plan. She has already turned & has gone back on every progressive plan.

She should have hit hard on minimum wage & infra spending. It is ironical & sad that Trump is now the champion of infra spending & talks about Trillions spending in wars. I mean those are Democratic talking points.

Clinton should not be losing in economy discussions. Trump had a very strong start & won on trade & some other areas.

I think this is not a good thing for Clinton. She is running as a centrist & will damage Senate Democrats with her tacit support of Bush people as she tries to show that Trump is a monster but Republicans are good. That is a bad ploy on the long term. If Trump hits her hard in the next 2 debates, she will go down!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »

Did anyone else enjoy how their apparel colors matched Atlas colors?

Yeah, I thought that was amusing myself.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »

So I was just watching CNN highlights and Trump flubbed so many "gimme" zinger lines. A question on cyber security and no mention of the emails? She used her Benghazi testimony as an example of her stamina, and he didn't reply with "Oh, I've never had to testify for an entire day before Congress, since I've never caused the death of an ambassador." I'm sure there were more of these too.

I was waiting for Trump to attack both times. Nothing. What a loser.

The question on cyber-security pretty obviously scared him, because he didn't know a damned thing. You could tell from the way his rambling answer was basically just him saying "the cyber" a lot.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

I actually thought Trump was gonna win. I figured he would be funny and likeable since he was a reality show guy. He pretty much just yelled for 90 minutes, didn't really work the audience well, and definitely wasn't funny. He sorta seemed like a lunatic.

Clinton was actually more charismatic tonight, that's pretty sad, lol. She even rocked the Romney '12 debate smirk. Idk if it will change the race from trending towards trump, but I was happy with her performance. She outperformed my expectations.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:29 AM »

Last night showed that when you strip away the media filter that gives Trump 80% of the coverage and lets him get away with any lie, and treat the two candidates with a semblance of fairness, Trump is out of his depth next to Hillary.
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2016, 07:49:25 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 07:57:46 AM by Dumbo »

Last night showed that when you strip away the media filter that gives Trump 80% of the coverage and lets him get away with any lie, and treat the two candidates with a semblance of fairness, Trump is out of his depth next to Hillary.

I watched CNN after the debate for about 90 minutes and it was
all about Trump, Trump, Trump, 100 %. No word about the fact that
Clinton did a fantastic job, was well prepared and so on.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »

Yes I do recall a fairly detailed policy being proposed which developed into the ACA. That's because I'm not simple minded and pay attention.

LOL Keller is proudly the "simple-minded folks" that provide the Trump base.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »

Trump won it, kept hammering the message about Clinton has been there for a long time and hasn't fixed things, and got her to talk up NAFTA which won't go over well in the places she needs to take from Trump. Trump flubbed some answers, but he was overall decently effective against most of her attacks. People were reminded that he is offensive but that's baked into it already. I didn't see any focused sustained message from Clinton. Her split screen reactions to what Trump said didn't come off well. She had a few good zingers, but nothing memorable.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »

Trump won it, kept hammering the message about Clinton has been there for a long time and hasn't fixed things, and got her to talk up NAFTA which won't go over well in the places she needs to take from Trump. Trump flubbed some answers, but he was overall decently effective against most of her attacks. People were reminded that he is offensive but that's baked into it already. I didn't see any focused sustained message from Clinton. Her split screen reactions to what Trump said didn't come off well. She had a few good zingers, but nothing memorable.
The polls say otherwise.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »

The polls say otherwise.

That article is from 2012, and isn't about the debates?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:45 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 09:22:06 AM by MohamedChalid »

Watched from the trump hotel.   Trump isnt speaking to the political hacks like ones found on this forum. Hes speaking to working class, simple minded folks.  Remember during the primary nights like this the same stuff was said of how trump lost and looked stupid etc.  The media narrative each time was that Rubio won.  We all know how that turned out when the voters actually voted.   Trump isnt running as the type of candidate Hillary has to run as.  Hes basically avg joe running for president.  

Neither did Hillary.   No politician gives very detailed specific policy during a campaign.    Can anyone remember specific Obamacare policy being laid out in 2008?  

He isn't supposed to have all the political insider knowledge  that a politician knows.   Thats the whole point of his campaign  

Surely he is not supposed to have decades of political experience. But how long is he running now? Right, 15 months. I think it is not too much asked of a candidate to have basic knowledge on the most important issues. Sure, there is nothing that prepares you a hundred percent for the presidency, but the Trumpster’s lack of knowledge on basic issues is quite troubling. And especially his ignorance and refusal to learn. To come up with serious proposals. What’s the use of it to come up with promises that you can’t keep. Like his tax plan, as example (but I could name dozens more). The math just doesn’t work, that’s the problem. I understand the point you are making about his campaign; but what I am trying to do is to explain why even those who support him at the moment would be disappointed if elected.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »

Just ask yourself two questions:

Of people who were leaning towards Trump, but had reservations, were they reassured?

Of people who were leaning towards Clinton, but had reservations, were they reassured?

I can imagine a good proportion of people leaning Clinton found her to be competent and presidential, but I cannot see that with the lean Trump folks.

I can also imagine that a sustained narrative that Trump lost can excite otherwise depressed Dems and depress otherwise happy GOPers. That could impact response bias as well

I still doubt Clinton wins by more than 4, but I also doubt she wins by less than 2, especially after tonight. Trump needed to substantially increase his appeal to the undecided/3rd party voters and disaffected Clinton supporters. He did not seem to accomplish that.
StatesPoll
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 09:29:56 AM by StatesPoll »

Time.com Poll  

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off at their first presidential debate Monday. Who do you think won?
http://time.com/4506217/presidential-debate-clinton-trump-survey/
TRUMP 55%
Hillary 45%

1,588,984 voted

win win win. bing bing bong bing.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »

Time.com Poll  

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off at their first presidential debate Monday. Who do you think won?
TRUMP 55%
Hillary 45%

1,588,984 voted

So I'm going to assume then that he has it in the bag? Like all the Ron Paul/Bernie Sanders won the debates?
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »

Time.com Poll  

TRUMP 55%
Hillary 45%

1,588,984 voted

Fun fact... absolutely zero Russians voted in this poll.

Seriously, right above this is the following:

A disclaimer: Online reader polls like this one are not statistically representative of likely voters, and are not predictive of the debate outcome will effect the election. They are a measure, however imprecise, of which candidates have the most energized online supporters, or most social media savvy fan base. After all, what they are counting is the number of Internet-devices controlled by people who want to vote.
uti2

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »

by Bernie even worse than Gore, this negative atmosphere never existed back in 2014/early 2015.  They're already predicting a 1-term presidency, this never even happened for Bush Sr. or Gore back in '88 and '00.

Even most of the progressives back then thought she was 'not perfect, but I'd vote for her anyway', now they're talking about third parties, low turnout, etc. How we hate the 'goldman sachs corporate democratic whore', etc.

Is is all natural, or is due to the effects of a super-negative race? Do you really think future races are going to be measurably less negative due to modern polarization?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »

Bernie vs. Hillary was one of the least negative primary races I've ever seen.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »

The polls say otherwise.

That article is from 2012, and isn't about the debates?
missing the point
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »

I voted for Clinton (I support Clinton). Cheesy
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »

Trump fans are in denial. He lost! Get over it. A game show  host will never be president and if you support him....I feel so sorry for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies