"That's business" and "that's called being smart": Trump's gift to Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:47:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "That's business" and "that's called being smart": Trump's gift to Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "That's business" and "that's called being smart": Trump's gift to Clinton  (Read 2691 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

Hillary and her surrogates (Bill, the Obamas, Biden, and others) seriously need to take advantage of these statements, along with any others that demonstrate just how out-of-touch Trump is with the "little people."

Remember, one of the things that really hurt Romney (another "smart successful businessman" candidate) was the "47%" comment. This shows that American voters at heart, want a populist champion (whether real or perceived) of ordinary, working people and families - which is something that the Party of Business and Money has successfully exploited in recent decades.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two Democratic Presidents since Reagan were elected during economic recessions and where their Republican opponents were widely perceived to be out of touch on the domestic economy (John McCain's multiple houses and his statements like "the fundamentals of the economy are strong", George H.W. Bush being more concerned with foreign policy than with the economic distress of working and middle class Americans).

Not only is the economy (stupid) of paramount importance in presidential elections, but Democrats win when they can successfully capitalize on when Republicans seem (or are) unconcerned with the economic situation of the voting public. Not only does that feed into the classic image of the Republican Party as the Party of Business and Money, but - just as importantly - it gives the Democrats an opening to assert their populist, anti-elitist qualities (as demonstrated recently by Bill Clinton in both of his general election campaigns, President Obama in both of his general election campaigns, Bernie Sanders in this year's Democratic primaries, and yes, Hillary Clinton - increasingly, at least - in her campaign this year) and furthermore, disassociate themselves from the perception  of "elitism" that candidates like Michael Dukakis, Al Gore, and John Kerry contributed to (or even Walter Mondale in 1984, when he said "I will raise your taxes" - which is all that people needed to hear to conclude that Mondale was a big-government, tax-and-spend liberal or whatever).

Again, this is a gift to the Democrats. They would be wise to take advantage of it, and milk it for all it's worth.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »

jfc, that was Trump's best moment of the debate. The Clinton's don't really need to be releasing another highlight reel and call it an 'ad'

Waste of money!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »

jfc, that was Trump's best moment of the debate. The Clinton's don't really need to be releasing another highlight reel and call it an 'ad'

Waste of money!

I'm sure there are plenty of poor uneducated whites that like it. The ones who lost everything in the recession and think taxation is theft. Then they complain about how they can't afford a house since they're too expensive and how the roads/schools/social security needs more money and turn around and vote for Trump who promises to take it all away except for those who can afford it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

Be prepared to see lots of ads based on these idiotic quips. It's gonna be YUGE!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »

Be prepared to see lots of ads based on these idiotic quips. It's gonna be YUGE!

I sure hope so.
Both can be made into major and effective 30 seconds ads.
Especially one based on his taxes, and "being smart" to avoid contributing to the budget.
I guess his nice lifestyle, including his jumbo jet airplane and various mansions come first, compared to paying his fair share to support his "Great America."
And of course, his half-wit die-hard supporters don't care. But the undecided, or those who barely lean towards trump, could be convinced to "open their eyes."
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »

Waste of money!

I'm sure there are plenty of poor uneducated whites that like it. The ones who lost everything in the recession and think taxation is theft. Then they complain about how they can't afford a house since they're too expensive and how the roads/schools/social security needs more money and turn around and vote for Trump who promises to take it all away except for those who can afford it.

I'm sure the rich whites will be much more turned off then! You know, since they made out fairly well too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »

"That's business" was bad.  "That's called being smart" was fine.  No one pays more taxes than they have to.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »

"That's business" was bad.  "That's called being smart" was fine.  No one pays more taxes than they have to.
interesting. I kinda felt the reverse.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »

Trump is now denying he said "that's called being smart" during the debate. What a disgusting, filthy man.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »

That's my instinct too, but it might be wishful thinking. I really hope you guys are right and I'm just being panicky, but I'll still wait for the polls before I feel safer about this election.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

Trump is now denying he said "that's called being smart" during the debate. What a disgusting, filthy man.

It's really sad that the altzheimers is kicking in this early. Somethings going on here, and we need to shut down any and all TV performances from The Donald until we can figure out what's going on.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »

It's really sad that the altzheimers is kicking in this early. Somethings going on here, and we need to shut down any and all TV performances from The Donald until we can figure out what's going on.

I agree ☺
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »

They should do an ad showing him saying it and then denying it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »

Except that the President needs to set an example, which Hillary and Bill have been doing for many years by paying their full taxes.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »

Except that the President needs to set an example, which Hillary and Bill have been doing for many years by paying their full taxes.
What the...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:12 PM »

What the...

If we take this at face value -- it's smart to pay no taxes -- then either:

1) Trump is encouraging everyone to be smart and pay no taxes.  If everyone did this, how does he propose to fund the government?

2) He's trying to show how smart he is, but he doesn't want everyone else to do it.  In that case, "see how smart I am" translates to "see how dumb you are".
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »

What the...

If we take this at face value -- it's smart to pay no taxes -- then either:

1) Trump is encouraging everyone to be smart and pay no taxes.  If everyone did this, how does he propose to fund the government?

2) He's trying to show how smart he is, but he doesn't want everyone else to do it.  In that case, "see how smart I am" translates to "see how dumb you are".

He practically buried himself here, and on a number of other topics discussed. These will almost surely be transformed into very effective ads.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »

Does Turbo Tax have a maximum tax amount setting, or does that require a CPA?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 11:06:37 PM »

Waste of money!

the thing is, MJ, no one who thinks that way would support Clinton--or frankly not vote for Trump--in a jillion years. totally agree with OP if De,ms are smart. Huge if, however.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »

I'm just sayin'....you folks on this forum are always talking about "optics". Well, what do the optics look like when the President pays no taxes, yet expects everyone else to carry their fair load? And like GeorgiaModerate said, who would fund the govt if everyone paid no taxes?

It might be a shrewd business person who pays little to no taxes, but if you are the President of the United States, you are held to a different standard. That's just how it is.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 11:20:58 PM »

Waste of money!

the thing is, MJ, no one who thinks that way would support Clinton--or frankly not vote for Trump--in a jillion years. totally agree with OP if De,ms are smart. Huge if, however.

I'll just repost this here for Shua's benefit.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »

I'm just sayin'....you folks on this forum are always talking about "optics". Well, what do the optics look like when the President pays no taxes, yet expects everyone else to carry their fair load? And like GeorgiaModerate said, who would fund the govt if everyone paid no taxes?

It might be a shrewd business person who pays little to no taxes, but if you are the President of the United States, you are held to a different standard. That's just how it is.

Yep. There are reasons businessmen, generally, do not run for President. Different professions.

I mean, there are many things Donald Trump should never try to be. For instance, he should never try to become the soloist of the New York City Ballet. Presidency is just one of those.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »

Waste of money!

If Clinton only has a chance at attracting those who insist on paying their maximum allowed amount in taxes, that goes a long way to explain why she's not doing so hot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:46 AM »

But remember, other NATO countries not paying their fair share is bigly bad.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 12:45:08 AM »

Waste of money!

If Clinton only has a chance at attracting those who insist on paying their maximum allowed amount in taxes, that goes a long way to explain why she's not doing so hot.

but she goes after voters furious the tax code permits folks like Trump to pay little or nothing in taxes, she's rolling in clover.

mr. "populist friend of the working man" finally revealed his true colors.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies