Who wins the 2nd debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:17:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who wins the 2nd debate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: -skip-
Clinton

Trump

Draw

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Who wins the 2nd debate?  (Read 3153 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »

This one is a town hall style debate. I have a gut feeling that it will be a solid Clinton win.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »

Trump. Greater personal connection to the audience due to his career which has been lynchpinned around his brand and persona. Plus I think he held his fire in the first debate to throw Hillary off. Why else would he refuse to go off topic and take the very easy, very available opportunities that Hillary was serving him on a silver platter.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »

If history is any precedent, probably Hillary, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »

Trump. Greater personal connection to the audience due to his career which has been lynchpinned around his brand and persona. Plus I think he held his fire in the first debate to throw Hillary off. Why else would he refuse to go off topic and take the very easy, very available opportunities that Hillary was serving him on a silver platter.

Personal connection, lol. Hillary will win the town hall.  Answering questions from real people requires a display of empathy and emotion that Donald is not capable of.  He will face questions from Latinos, women, African Americans, and others that he won't be able to answer empathetically.  I'm sure when the white guys ask him how he will protect "yer guns" and stop illegal gay Muslim abortionists from "takin' yer jobs" he'll do fine, but it will be interesting to see how poorly he connects with the little people.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »

Not a clue.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

Not gonna count my chickens before they hatch, but I predict Trump will make a bigger ass of himself when he is forced to talk directly to town hall voters.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »

Hillary likes the town hall format and evidently she's good at it. I agree that Trump is unable to show any type of empathy or emotion when it comes to dealing with average people's issues. Good luck Trump. If people want entertainment then maybe he'll win, but if they want any type of substance, well....that's Hillary's strength.

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »

This is the one I'm worried about for Clinton. One out-of-touch response to an economic question from a working class white voter and she has a big problem.  Trump could go off on a minority voter and have the same problem, but this is an event that plays to both of their weaknesses.  I do expect Clinton to have a clear advantage in the foreign policy debate.

Good news is that she has a few weeks to focus on handling that question.

Not gonna count my chickens before they hatch, but I predict Trump will make a bigger ass of himself when he is forced to talk directly to town hall voters.

I think so too. trump people will believe he is better suited to being among the people, but standing behind a TRUMP podium in front of his worshipers is a lot different than sitting on a stool going face to face with people. Clinton isn't the best at this sort of thing, but she will look a lot more relaxed then he will.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »

I think so too. trump people will believe he is better suited to being among the people, but standing behind a TRUMP podium in front of his worshipers is a lot different than sitting on a stool going face to face with people. Clinton isn't the best at this sort of thing, but she will look a lot more relaxed then he will.

The podium format was supposed to be his best format because he can feel like he's the king of the world. It's much more difficult for an out-of-touch millionaire who lives in a gold-plated penthouse to actually interact with normal people.

Also I've noticed that in the various town halls or forums either in the Republican primary or the NBC one, when he's asked a question from the audience, he stays seated. I don't know why he does that, but something is going on here folks.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 03:16:39 PM »

No idea. A lot will depend on expectations going into the debate, and what preparations (if any) Trump makes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »

trump feeds off audiences, last night's debate didn't have nearly as much of that...leaving him to try and respond coherently by himself.

The Town Hall allows him that audience.

Whether that turns him into Quayle or whether he pulls a Bill/Reagan is who knows.

But I don't sincerely believe Hillary won't end up like Bush Sr/Carter on this one.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:21 PM »

Clinton will probably win on substance, but what she really needs to do is relax, show some real empathy and open up, bringing up some of her more personal experiences in answering questions.  If she does that effectively, it doesn't really matter what Trump does.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »

Whoever doesn't watch.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »

trump feeds off audiences, last night's debate didn't have nearly as much of that...leaving him to try and respond coherently by himself....

That's probably why he was drinking so much water and sniffling....he had nervous energy that he couldn't expend on the audience. A very annoying character trait for a would-be President.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »

I think Hillary will win "bigly".
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »

Clinton actually did better in the "back and forth" parts of the debate than in the monologues, which I wouldn't have expected going in. So the town hall format bodes well for her.

But this time I think people talked so much about how Trump was going to seem great because of low expectations were that people paradoxically ended up having high expectations of him. This time the expectations will be genuinely low. But if he can't learn to control himself and stay composed (which he hasn't learned to do all campaign), and if Clinton is as on message and in control as she was this time, the result will likely be the same.
Trapsy

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »

Trump is gonna be overly aggressive and that will hurt him. Clinton was holding back.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »

The even lower expectations for Trump will likely result in the next debate being roughly a draw,
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 09:29:01 PM »

Poll's question is ambiguous. Pundits agreed that the first debate was won by Clinton while most polls declared Trump's victory. Actually theere should be two options:
1. Who wins the second debate? (pundits' opinion) 
2. Who wins the second debate? (polls results)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »

Poll's question is ambiguous. Pundits agreed that the first debate was won by Clinton while most polls declared Trump's victory. Actually theere should be two options:
1. Who wins the second debate? (pundits' opinion) 
2. Who wins the second debate? (polls results)
The polls that were actually scientific thought Clinton won easily. Rigging online polls is not scientific.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »

Will expectations be higher for Trump going into this debate because he did so bad at the first one, or lower?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »

Regardless, America has already lost.
chrisras
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 12:13:24 AM »

Hillary will easily win.  She's a career politician that has been doing this for decades. 
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »

Hopefully Clinton.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:13 AM »

Hillary's speech in NC was great and quite emotional. She talked about her mother's terrible childhood and how that influenced her to get into public service.

If she can relay that same empathy and genuine emotion, I think she'll win hands down.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies