Who wins the 2nd debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:34:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who wins the 2nd debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Clinton

Trump

Draw

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Who wins the 2nd debate?  (Read 3150 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 01:47:10 AM »

Hillary's speech in NC was great and quite emotional. She talked about her mother's terrible childhood and how that influenced her to get into public service.

If she can relay that same empathy and genuine emotion, I think she'll win hands down.

I need to watch this. Is there a link?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »

Clinton will "win", as in being clearly stronger on substance, being more coherent and having actual solutions. As pessimistic as I am, I never doubted Hillarys capabilities as a debater. I have never seen Hillary flat out lose a debate - not to Obama, not to Sanders and it most certainly won't happen against Trump. Now, whether it matters is another matter entirely. Trump could get by just sounding or looking reasonable to political morons, regardless of the fact that he has no understanding of politics whatsoever.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 01:52:34 AM »

Hillary's speech in NC was great and quite emotional. She talked about her mother's terrible childhood and how that influenced her to get into public service.

If she can relay that same empathy and genuine emotion, I think she'll win hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhb_7hSBv7Q

It was really good and I think it is basically a foreshadowing of the closing argument.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:29 AM »

It was really good and I think it is basically a foreshadowing of the closing argument.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 02:16:33 AM »

Love your sig!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 02:18:52 AM »

Love your sig!

Haha, thanks! I saw the video and couldn't resist turning it into a Gif for my forum sig. I laughed for a good 5 minutes.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »

It's good, but unfortunately I don't think it fairly represents the debate. Clinton gave MUCH better answers to everything than Trump, but she didn't outright put him in his place, which I had hoped she would. I thought she had some opportunities to do so (like when Trump rambled about taking the oil), but failed to do so.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »

It's good, but unfortunately I don't think it fairly represents the debate. Clinton gave MUCH better answers to everything than Trump, but she didn't outright put him in his place, which I had hoped she would. I thought she had some opportunities to do so (like when Trump rambled about taking the oil), but failed to do so.

Again... Clinton has TONNES of material to use against Trump. Don't blow it all at once and give him and opportunity to rehearse a line to deflect it.

He was humiliated, but when there's two more of these things, best keep your powder dry.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »

I voted Trump (on this question), because I think he will have more opportunity to utilise the crowd to help him if, say, a laid-off factory worker from Ohio or Michigan asks Clinton what he's supposed to do with his life now.

However, I do think there are good opportunities for Clinton here - and I'm hoping she'll be able to use the debate to express more of her vision for government, which was one thing I felt was missing from her otherwise good first debate performance.

As for expectations, I wonder if Trump will suffer again. The pundits will be looking to keep the race competitive, so there could be a lot of "let's look at Clinton's vulnerabilities" and "surely Trump will improve after that car crash in the first debate?" The media could end up talking him up more than he deserves.

There's eleven days to go, which is a heck of a long time, so who knows what will come up in the meantime.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 09:38:44 AM »

Well, I tell you who won’t win it. I guess this person's skin is some kind of orange.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

The even lower expectations for Trump will likely result in the next debate being roughly a draw,

I could see this happening. Especially if she's less energetic and doesn't prepare as much. If she gets the expected 4-5 point bounce out of this one and carries that lead into the next debate I'd be fine with a draw, though.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »

If history is any precedent, probably Hillary, but I'm not 100% convinced.
You are never really sure with Trump. This all could be an elaborate ruse.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »

Trump is going to get very personal with Hillary and start throwing punches below the belt.  It won't work.  He will continue to dig a hole for himself, and get more wild and unpredictable as Clinton gets under his skin and unravels him.

The town hall format does scare me a little, because Trump has an audience to work with.

Despite the inherent risks to Clinton, I'm looking forward to it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:11 PM »

The same guy who won the first one, of course.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »

The same guy who won the first one, of course.
It's fairly insulting to refer to Hillary as a guy. Tongue
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06:53 AM »

since i have been eating crow this cycle every few weeks, i guess trump is going to have a little "mini"-comback.

but to be sure...the audiences trump usually twists around his very very very very very tiny little finger.....are hardcore republican or hardcore full-of-rage.

an audience which is more shaped like the actual electorate...without "LOCK HER UP"-shouts after every zinger.....could become diffifcult for him. especially if a well-educated female would ask a rather pointed question....wonder if he could give a polite and humble answer in front of so many cameras.....

i think hillary is going to win in points...but i feel better about the third debate....90 minues of foreign policy seems like trumpmageddon.
Trapsy

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »

Hillary drops the "maybe you should stick a Teleprompter" line and the election is over.

RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 08:38:51 AM »

Trump is going to come out swinging and he's going to fluster Hillary.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 08:44:54 AM »

Trump is going to come out swinging and he's going to fluster Hillary.

Huh?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »

This is the one I'm worried about for Clinton. One out-of-touch response to an economic question from a working class white voter and she has a big problem.  Trump could go off on a minority voter and have the same problem, but this is an event that plays to both of their weaknesses.  I do expect Clinton to have a clear advantage in the foreign policy debate.

Some of Hillary's best moments have been interactions with voters in her town halls.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »

Trump will attack Hillary on her marriage problems, Clinton will respond by attacking Trump on his creepy pedophile behavior. Guess who comes out on top of that one.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »

Trump will respond callously to people's real concerns, while Clinton will be given credit for at least attempting to empathize  with people.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »

I really hope they've got a Muslim or Hispanic person there to ask a question of the candidates.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

What are the odds that someone cheapskate and pretend billionaire TrumpMiller stiffed will be asking a question?
psychprofessor

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »

if christie is preparing trump for a town hall style debate, how long before trump pops off "sit down and shut up" or "you numb nuts" or "you people disappoint me." get the popcorn...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies