Democratic Trump equivalent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:44:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Trump equivalent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Democratic Trump equivalent?  (Read 2659 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »

Who conceivably could be a Trump equivalent for the Democrats? I.e., someone who holds highly controversial positions and, if nominated, could fail to secure endorsements from key members of the party i.e. past presidents?

Dennis Kucinich? Al Sharpton?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »

Now? No idea

But clearly Jesse Jackson in '88, DNC simply got Kasich to run against Hillary instead.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »

Alan Grayson is pretty obvious.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »

It would have to be a blue-dog and theres almost none left to nominate.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »

Michael Moore.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »

This.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »

Maxine Waters
Alcee Hastings (impeached and convicted as a Federal Judge, only to be elected to Congress)
Al Sharpton
Bill DeBlasio

Alan Grayson is in a class by himself.  He's one of the few liberals I could imagine being successful in the kind of Talk Radio that the Rush Limbaughs , Howie Carrs, and Mark Levins do.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »

It would have to be a blue-dog and theres almost none left to nominate.

Would it though? I feel like it would have to be someone who was able to get a palpable part of the base?
Trapsy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »

Kanye West.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »

I'm surprised it took this long.
DoctorWinstonOBoogie
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -4.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:41 PM »

Somebody who gets support from the extremist end of their party? Somebody who is an outsider, and attacks his opponents for not being pure enough? Somebody not very popular with minorities? Somebody who promises the moon to his supporters, without any real plan to achieve his goals? Someone who is very anti-trade?

You already know his name. It's Bernie Sanders.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:08 PM »

Somebody who gets support from the extremist end of their party? Somebody who is an outsider, and attacks his opponents for not being pure enough? Somebody not very popular with minorities? Somebody who promises the moon to his supporters, without any real plan to achieve his goals? Someone who is very anti-trade?

You already know his name. It's Bernie Sanders.

I've been for Hillary since before she even announced but I mean someone so implausible like Trump...I just don't know if we have people like that
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 10:12:10 PM »

Anyone who compared Bernie Sanders to Donald Trump has no idea that unlike Trump, Bernie Sanders is well-liked.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 10:30:41 PM »

Probably Kanye West. If she hadn't switched parties Cynthia McKiney or Cindy Sheehan, someone crazy like that.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »

Kanye West isn't that much like Trump, but he's the closest equivalent in that he's not a politician, and he doesn't really hold back when it comes to speaking his mind.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »

Kanye West isn't that much like Trump, but he's the closest equivalent in that he's not a politician, and he doesn't really hold back when it comes to speaking his mind.

Also their wives posed nude.

If Kanye West ran for President in 2020, expect to have the same violent and crazy protests he'll get just like Trump is getting for the past year.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:42 PM »

Alan Grayson does talk about actual issues, not stuff like Trump's "I'm a winner" shtick, but his behavior in both his public and personal life make him holding public office embarrassing, as would be the case with Trump.

Kanye West's presidential aspirations are clearly a joke/trolling (although I guess we said that about Trump) but if he did run he would be just as unqualified and unstable.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:23 PM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »

Slate actually ran a tongue-in-cheek article a few months back positing this exact same question to prove that Democrats would, in all likelihood, come up with just as many excuses for their dumpster fire as Republicans are for Trump.

Their candidate? Sean Penn.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 12:04:02 AM »

The idea that a Democratic Trump could ever win the nomination or be a major factor is silly and based on the absurd premise that the two parties are mirror images of each other and function basically identically aside from ideology. You could never have a Democratic Trump because Trump's campaign is based around demonizing and attacking large groups of people. You can't do that as a Democrat and be successful because those people are going to be represented in the Democratic Party at some level no matter who they are.

Like take the most obvious example: Evangelical Christians. So what if some candidate ran a campaign bashing them like Trump does immigrants or Muslims? Well over 25% of evangelicals vote Democratic. There are tons of them in the Democratic Party and if someone wants to point out that they are largely or possibly even majority black and Hispanic...yeah how do you think that would look? It would go nowhere.  Gun owners? Duh. There's tons of gun owning Democrats. And so on.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »

There really isn't an equivalent. For the most part the fringe left doesn't like the Democratic Party enough to even attempt to contest the primary and wouldn't be remotely viable even if they tried to contest it.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »

There really isn't an equivalent. For the most part the fringe left doesn't like the Democratic Party enough to even attempt to contest the primary and wouldn't be remotely viable even if they tried to contest it.

There is no equivalent to Trump.  Trump is a massively successful businessman whose views are often informed by his elite experiences and what would benefit him, which is why he's a Republican and why so many other wealthy businessmen are Republicans.  In contrast, most of the extreme far-left viewpoints are the same thing for poor losers, e.g. all drugs should be legal, the government should pay me to do whatever I want all day, and tax all income over $100,000 or just throw the executives in jail and ban business.  There are no successful or wealthy people who have these views, it's mainly loony activists, narcobums and pothead internet addicts.  Unfortunately when you're not successful and wealthy you tend to also not be tremendously famous or have thirty years of people admiring you and begging you to run for president.  With someone like Kanye West I think you'd find that his actual views on things aren't particularly loony or ridiculous, as rich and successful left-wing people tend to not have these extreme kinds of views (there are absolute idiots, to be sure, like Susan Sarandon, but with them it's more about an extremist worldview than actual extreme policies), the problem is just that he's so poorly informed and likely believes in a few conspiracy theories (e.g. "I treat the cash the way the government treats AIDS, I won’t be satisfied til all my niggas get it, get it?") but he's not gonna advocate for a policy of banning all white people from the country or anything.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 05:24:37 AM »

Alan Grayson & this is very easy. I even like the guy for some of his fights but obviously some stuff he does n says in unacceptable.

But the guy is ditto progressive version of Trump. Some of the replies here show how stupid so many people in this forum are! Anyone who says Bernie Sanders is flat out retarded!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies