Interracial marriages and the history of ethnic groups becoming white. Relevant?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:11:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Interracial marriages and the history of ethnic groups becoming white. Relevant?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interracial marriages and the history of ethnic groups becoming white. Relevant?  (Read 790 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »

I found this article interesting, and it's from a left wing source, so it should please y'all.

I'm going to skip ahead in the article to give you guys the parts I found important, but it starts off with simply summarizing the current consensus that America will be a one party national government for the rest of history, due to hispanics.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://democracyjournal.org/magazine/31/demography-is-not-destiny/
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

That's basically how people explained the one party control between 2002 and 2006. The question then is how fast people are immigrating vs how fast people are assimilating. Both parties can adapt to this. W, Obama, and Bill might have been successful for the same reasons.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »

Many Hispanics are white, or are so close to being white (slight First Peoples or black ancestry) that if they have children by undeniably white people their children will likely be white.

Skin color? Many times it is impossible to detect that a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese is non-white by skin color alone. Flat features and the epicanthic fold are the giveaways.

Now -- does the Anglo assimilate the Hispanic or does the Hispanic assimilate the Anglo? Either way, the change is cultural.

Now for the more blatant examples of interracial marriages -- anything else and black. The genes defining a near-black skin are generally more powerful than those defining a pale skin. Those defining a pale skin are recessive. One needs several pairs of  double-recessive genes to have a skin color stereotypically white. Thus the one-drop rule generally well fits the reality of 'blackness'. But someone with those pairs of pale-skin genes looks white, no matter how many 'drops' of African ancestry one has. 

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:14:11 PM »

My response to this is more nit-picky than anything else.  Yes, it meanders, and no, I'm not sure that I actually have a point.

I think it varies between groups.  I think the Irish, the oldest of the groups, were fully integrated by mid-century.  Kennedy's election was confirmation of something that had already taken place.  However, I'm still old enough to remember the Pollock jokes of the 1970's.

Actually, while most of the "ethnics" did lean Democratic into the 1970's, my impression is that Italians were one of the few groups to be Republican-leaning.  Similarly in the 1980's, Cubans and Vietnamese also skewed heavily Republican.

The integration of Latinos and especially Asians into the "white" political mainstream should probably have happened 20 years ago.  But the Republican Party, first in the Pete Wilson campaign in California in 1994 and then nationally in the years that followed, began to be seen as anti-illegal immigrant and therefore as anti-immigrant and therefore as anti-Asian and anti-Hispanic.  Republican Party leaders tried to distinguish shades of gray between these stances, but many of their rank-and-file members seemed to treat them as more or less the same thing; Asians and Hispanics were by definition "illegals" in many minds.

And so, Asians and Latinos vote less Republican they did a quarter-century ago, the same way Arabs vote less Republican than they did in 2000.  And I suspect that most people of mixed ancestry won't completely ignore the umbrage taken by half their family.  Whether this holds true of White people who marry into Asian and Latino families is a different question entirely.

Eventually, there will come a time when minority voters are too young to remember 2016--roughly half the electorate turns over every 25 years--but for now, I don't see minority voters embracing the Republican Party.  There are still too many hard feelings.

(Although this isn't completely relevant, I thought I'd mention that my aunt was a staunch Democratic voter well into the 1990's, because she had never forgiven Hoover, while her two sons split their political allegiances.)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:12:50 PM »

Ultimately this all depends on perception. I think many Black Americans would say that they feel that they are disconnected from the mainstream and feel discrimination and oppression. Does this necessarily match the statistics? Yes and no. The same could be said about how many Americans feel that immigrants are taking their jobs or people on welfare waste their money. The facts may or may not agree or may be more complex and nuanced than any popular opinion, but what matters is how a group or community feels.

Latinos and Asians could probably be divided more by socioeconomic status and geography / urbanization than simply by race. Most urban Latinos and Asians seem to identify stronger with a sense of being non-White possibly because it is easier to find communities of ethnic identity in urban areas where concentrations of racial minorities are higher. This goes the same in rural places with hyper-segregation like the Rio Grande and Central Valley. However as we see in polls, Latinos and Asians are not monolithic voting blocs.

So much depends on the direction of the Republican party. Even some white groups like Jews are slowing their embrace of Republicans with Trump at the helm because his rhetoric is a reminder of the history of exclusion from the mainstream. When Dominicans, Chinese, or Colombians here about immigration bans I'm sure many feel that they might be the next target if Trump is willing to speak that way about Muslims, Filipinos, and Mexicans. If the Republicans can purge their nativist voting bloc they can easily gain many moderate minority voters. In fact I'm sure that many would support Trump if he had not been spewing race-baiting language because his ideas are quite populist otherwise. But his campaign is not that polished....
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:38:33 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2016, 03:58:42 AM by hopper »

The integration of Latinos and especially Asians into the "white" political mainstream should probably have happened 20 years ago.  But the Republican Party, first in the Pete Wilson campaign in California in 1994 and then nationally in the years that followed, began to be seen as anti-illegal immigrant and therefore as anti-immigrant and therefore as anti-Asian and anti-Hispanic.  Republican Party leaders tried to distinguish shades of gray between these stances, but many of their rank-and-file members seemed to treat them as more or less the same thing; Asians and Hispanics were by definition "illegals" in many minds.

And so, Asians and Latinos vote less Republican they did a quarter-century ago, the same way Arabs vote less Republican than they did in 2000.  And I suspect that most people of mixed ancestry won't completely ignore the umbrage taken by half their family.  Whether this holds true of White people who marry into Asian and Latino families is a different question entirely.

Eventually, there will come a time when minority voters are too young to remember 2016--roughly half the electorate turns over every 25 years--but for now, I don't see minority voters embracing the Republican Party.  There are still too many hard feelings.

(Although this isn't completely relevant, I thought I'd mention that my aunt was a staunch Democratic voter well into the 1990's, because she had never forgiven Hoover, while her two sons split their political allegiances.)

Republicans anti-immigration rhetoric was never really about being against Asians. I think Asians did vote way more R in the 1998 California's Governor's Race (51%) than Hispanics did at 17%. The Mexican Immigration Boom of the 1970's to the mid 2000's was massive when you compare it too immigration from East Asia during that same timeframe.

Asians-Nah Asians mostly became Democrats because of Bill Clinton and Obama. Keep in mind Asians live in Dem States: MD, NJ, CA, and MA and a couple purple ones like NV and VA.

The Latino Vote-There is a lot that factors that determine the Latino Vote: Their income, where they live, and if they only speak English. White Hispanics do vote more R especially for Congress than their darker skinned Hispanic counterparts do.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:45:07 AM »

Ultimately this all depends on perception. I think many Black Americans would say that they feel that they are disconnected from the mainstream and feel discrimination and oppression. Does this necessarily match the statistics? Yes and no. The same could be said about how many Americans feel that immigrants are taking their jobs or people on welfare waste their money. The facts may or may not agree or may be more complex and nuanced than any popular opinion, but what matters is how a group or community feels.

Latinos and Asians could probably be divided more by socioeconomic status and geography / urbanization than simply by race. Most urban Latinos and Asians seem to identify stronger with a sense of being non-White possibly because it is easier to find communities of ethnic identity in urban areas where concentrations of racial minorities are higher. This goes the same in rural places with hyper-segregation like the Rio Grande and Central Valley. However as we see in polls, Latinos and Asians are not monolithic voting blocs.

So much depends on the direction of the Republican party. Even some white groups like Jews are slowing their embrace of Republicans with Trump at the helm because his rhetoric is a reminder of the history of exclusion from the mainstream. When Dominicans, Chinese, or Colombians here about immigration bans I'm sure many feel that they might be the next target if Trump is willing to speak that way about Muslims, Filipinos, and Mexicans. If the Republicans can purge their nativist voting bloc they can easily gain many moderate minority voters. In fact I'm sure that many would support Trump if he had not been spewing race-baiting language because his ideas are quite populist otherwise. But his campaign is not that polished....
Trump is not banning immigration he would just limit it more than current levels.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:45:22 AM »

Trump is not banning immigration he would just limit it more than current levels.
Well, exclude some and limit others.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »

I don't see why we should assume that 19th century race relations would apply today.
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »

The integration of Latinos and especially Asians into the "white" political mainstream should probably have happened 20 years ago.

20 years ago we were in the midst of the biggest wave of Mexican immigration. The assimilation of Hispanics was getting increasingly harder, not easier. Indeed, the residential segregation of the historic Chicano communities in LA grew between 2000 and 2010.

The Democratic Party has done a great job linking border control and bigotry. Nowadays, you're a unashamed racist if you're against illegal immigration.

Really? Anyway, they might be quite demographically different Latino votes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies