(Hypothetical) Donald Trump's strategy for winning Washington, D.C.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  (Hypothetical) Donald Trump's strategy for winning Washington, D.C.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (Hypothetical) Donald Trump's strategy for winning Washington, D.C.  (Read 916 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »

Let's say that Donald Trump was completely delusional and wanted to win the District of Columbia just to prove that he's a better Republican candidate than even Ronald Reagan. What would his strategy be?
DoctorWinstonOBoogie
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -4.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »

He could win D.C. if he changed his party, changed his rhetoric, got Hillary to drop out, and gave the people of D.C. amnesia pills so that they forgot the past year-and-a-half (maybe even longer if you're talking about Birtherism).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »

Nuke it. 
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »

Hypothetical is the understatement of the year. But I will bite.

He could win DC quite easily if he:

1. Announced that under a Trump administration, Federal government will increase hiring in DC by 25%, offering long term well paying jobs.
2. Introduced a positive discrimination program for those new federal employees, disproportionately benefiting African Americans and Hispanic Americans.
3. Pushed the law and order agenda as a means of making African American families safer as opposed the to making white neighborhoods safe.
4. Offered to pass legislation making DC a state
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »

There is no realistic, or even remotely plausible winning strategy. Seriously. DC is only 36% non-Hispanic white and is just shy of 50% African American. On top of that, it's not even like white voters in DC are Republican or anything. They voted 86% Democratic in 2008.

If a non-Democrat could ever win this, it most definitely would not be Trump.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/states/exitpolls/district-of-columbia.html
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:30 PM »

Simple:  Promise $1000 cash* for anybody in DC who votes for him.

* Actual cash reward may be subject to FEC confiscation or withholding by the Trump campaign
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:36 PM »

1. Announced that under a Trump administration, Federal government will increase hiring in DC by 25%, offering long term well paying jobs.
2. Introduced a positive discrimination program for those new federal employees, disproportionately benefiting African Americans and Hispanic Americans.
3. Pushed the law and order agenda as a means of making African American families safer as opposed the to making white neighborhoods safe.

No. Those are all empty promises. Maybe if he did all those things as President, he'd do comparatively well in DC in 2020, but he still wouldn't win it because he's a Republican.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:00:33 AM »

Have Congress repeal the Compromise of 1850 so that the slave trade is once again legal in the District.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

Have Congress repeal the Compromise of 1850 so that the slave trade is once again legal in the District.

Only if everyone is enslaved except Republicans.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »

No. Those are all empty promises. Maybe if he did all those things as President, he'd do comparatively well in DC in 2020, but he still wouldn't win it because he's a Republican.

News at 11: Politicians making empty promises.... Smiley

Of course they are, but if he had any of the business savvy he claims he has, that is what he would be doing.  If I was a DC resident and someone offered to make DC a state, I would give them a second look, even if I had my doubts.  If I was an African American unemployed youth in DC, and Trump offered an employment program like this, I would seriously consider buying into his "What have you got to lose?".

But of course Trump is too self engrossed to think about things like this so it is a philosophical discussion on Atlas.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »

News at 11: Politicians making empty promises.... Smiley

Of course they are, but if he had any of the business savvy he claims he has, that is what he would be doing.  If I was a DC resident and someone offered to make DC a state, I would give them a second look, even if I had my doubts.  If I was an African American unemployed youth in DC, and Trump offered an employment program like this, I would seriously consider buying into his "What have you got to lose?".

But of course Trump is too self engrossed to think about things like this so it is a philosophical discussion on Atlas.

I don't think you understand how partisan people are in the US (for good reason in this case).

Also, the President doesn't admit new states; Congress does.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 08:55:56 PM »

No Republican candidate stands a prayer of winning commie DC. Not going to happen no matter what Trump did.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2016, 09:48:51 PM by The Unbearable Invicibility of Hillary Clinton »

While the cost of living in DC is quite high and there is poverty, the District has a very high civilian workforce participation rate of 66.2% which would rank in the top5 if it were a state and well above last place WV 49.8 and places like GA 59.8, so I doubt promising jobs would sway many.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/ststdsadata.txt

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »

Stuff the ballots during his re-election in 2020?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »

- Murder Obama and then carefully place "evidence" so that it appears that HRC is the killer.

- Since a Trial would be postponed until after the election for obvious reasons, and Hillary is obviously rich enough to pay bail, attack her over it to no end at remaining debates.

- Name-drop Johnson and Stein and advocate to D.C. voters that since HRC is a murderer and he is a Republican, they need to cast a "consicious" third-party vote. To avoid them uniting behind one of them and getting that candidate to a Majority, emphasize that the votes must be as evenly split as possible between Johnson and Stein in order to qualify as a "conscience vote". Assemble a large team of phone-bankers and door-knockers to get this crucial part out loud and clear.

- Bait Hillary into saying she's a white supremacist. Meanwhile, disavow David Duke very fiercely and declare affirmative action the most important issue of our lifetime. Say that you will only appoint Supreme Court Justices that are 100% supportive of Affirmative Action.

- Say you oppose Garland because he's not 100% supportive of Affirmative Action and that the timing of the nomination has nothing to do with it for you.

- Issue apologies to John McCain, Muslims, Jeb Bush, Megyn Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell, all current or living former Presidents of Mexico, Judge Curiel, Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Elizabeth Warren, Hillary Clinton, and the GS family from the DNC for various insulting actions (WRITE  OR ORATE DETAILED APOLOGIES).

- Drop the wall and the muslim ban. If you're forced to give a new position on immigration, express "general agreement" with HRC.

- Drop Pence and announce that your new VP will be RINO George Pataki.

- Favor making D.C. a state

- Support expanding federal government hiring

- Speak highly of BLM and say repeatedly that Black people are better than White people.

----------

The above just might get Trump over a top in a very close four-way race.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »

Promise to build a wall to keep West Virginians out of DC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/man-charged-with-animal-cruelty-for-shooting-a-deer-in-northwest-washington/2016/09/29/d9261d7a-8640-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »

You need to repeal the 13th amendment for that.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »

Or just declare that DC will get similar legal and constitutional status as Guantanamo and go wild. Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »

Have the Democratic and Republican labels flipped on the ballot.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 11:02:13 PM »

Well, if you want to be realistic, have Congress end DC Home Rule and appoint a Republican-dominated city council and then have DC's electors be chosen by that council, which would be fully in keeping with the letter of the 23rd Amendment. tho obviously not the spirit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies