The Mormonism Thread 2.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:41:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Mormonism Thread 2.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mormonism Thread 2.0  (Read 12990 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: September 29, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »

Two questions:

1) What does a typical Mormon liturgy look like for a normal Sunday service? Does it vary much between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the fringier groups?

2) Related, to SamTilden's question, what are the major theological debates in the main LDS denomination.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:08:51 AM »

-What Ralleytand/Mormon Dem said, but also there's a bit of "charismatic" Christianity dragged in, in that you're encouraged to speak from the heart, premonitions are often mentioned in these laymen sermons, and crying is not considered uncouth or inappropriate. In fact, a man getting all teary is considered masculine, in a way. Hence why Glenn Beck is considered a model Mormon in some respects during his show. He cries when feeling something inspirational or terrifying, and speaks emotionally of his experiences with faith and spirituality. That's considered okay during these speeches.

I think this was alluded earlier but I'd like to confirm it. When I was asking about liturgy, I meant during the actual service/sacrament/meeting. From what it sounds like, Mormon sacarement meetings are very low church (e.g. no set prayers) compared to mainstream Christianity, or even Evangelicalism. Is that correct?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »

Reviving this thread since the April portion of General Conference, our biannual meeting/conference, is coming up. This Saturday will be the Women's Session, while the first Saturday and Sunday of April will have the rest of the April sessions.

Feel free to ask me anything about General Conference.

Are there any major issues/topics of discussion?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »

Two questions for the Mormons on the board:

1) I've been reading a lot recently that the LDS church is having difficulty retaining youth. Common factors cited include the rise of the internet, LDS's refusal to liberalize etc. However, I noticed a lot of what I had been reading in support of this was from ex-Mormon sites i.e really biased sources. Is there any truth to their claims?

2) Is there a cultural divide between Utah and non-Utah Mormons?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »

Two more questions:

1) Could someone give or point me to a reasonably fair summary of the problems the LDS church is facing, how they are coping with them etc? Most of the Mormon produced stuff I could find was kind of happy go lucky, and the exMormon websites are hardcore hacks in the other direction.

2) There are Mormon communities in Europe that are fairly old, correct? Do they have any particular distinctive? Did certain demographics tend to join say, the Swedish or French Mormons back in the day?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies