United Alternative - September/October 2016 Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  United Alternative - September/October 2016 Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: United Alternative - September/October 2016 Convention  (Read 4156 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »

Dear delegates, welcome to the first United Alternative Convention in the beautiful city of Saint Louis, Missouri.

That's how we'll proceed:

[MSI]: Sign-up of the members
[END]: All the candidates who want UA's endorsement will be able to address our convention. After the speeches, there will be a vote.
[GEN]: We'll address general party business, there'll be discussion about our party and members will be able to present motions to the platform and the by-laws.
[CON]: We'll select the city of the next UA convention.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

x LumineVonReuental.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

x EdgarAllenYOLO
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »

X Kingpoleon
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »

x rpryor03
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »

x DwarvenDragon
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »

May I remind everyone, as we learned from the last CR convention, that tickets with party members as the VP candidate are not automatically endorsed. Wink
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »

May I remind everyone, as we learned from the last CR convention, that tickets with party members as the VP candidate are not automatically endorsed. Wink
Don't worry, Mr. President, we know how our rules work. Wink
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »

I will of course be seeking the endorsement of your great party
diptheriadan

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »

x diptheriadan
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »

xNHI
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 09:32:59 AM »

The endorsement process starts now.
Presidential and Senate candidates who want UA's endorsement will have 48 hours for giving their speeches.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 09:39:27 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen of the glorious United Alternative party,

I come here to humbly request your endorsement in the Northern Senate race. I've given my career to fighting for the Atlasian people, from Assemblyman to Representative to, hopefully, Senator. I will continue to try to work across the aisle, and embrace bi- and tri-partisan values.

Thank you so much,
LongLiveRock
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »

'Friends I'll make my comments brief. We need an experienced, and steady leader for these times. We've achieved a lot in the last 5 months- and we should be proud. The Senate has been at the center of activity, the House has reemerged into to the game and some of the regions have picked up. However we haven't done enough- and we've got a lot more to do.

I've set out my own radical reform plan - one that would change the role of GM to mean that our actions mattered. A plan that would set up new media groups to scrutinize players, and shed light on Atlasia. And most importantly a plan that would bring new players to Atlasia.

My flagship idea is to introduce a Crisis system; where the GM would manage Real Time events- like floods, hostage situations, protests etc and require us to respond. A majority of Politics is about reacting to events, and currently the game is too static.

Most importantly; we need someone who is and has been dedicated to the game. For the last 18 months bar one I've been active on the board. I've served as a regional Speaker, a Senator At-large, Senate Speaker, Interior Affairs Secretary and Governor. However this isn't the Middle ages, and I can't just show off titles- I can show off results, and leadership.

Examples of leadership

+ As Senate Speaker I voted to impeach members of my own party who had tried to kill of the game.
+ As Governor of the Northeast I relaunched a flagging region; which had undergone a divisive referendum and healed the region; putting it on centre stage.
+ As a Senator I lead the fight against an abortion bill that seeked to put unnecessary limits, and even banned abortions.

Friends in this election I went beyond party lines and selected KingPoleon- one of the founding members of your party as my running mate. He has the values of United Alternative- a focus on policy, a focus on good governance and a focus on Atlasia. Both me and my running mate have been active on this board consistently.  I know that some of you will have disagreements with me on policy but this isn't about electing someone who shares all of your ideological nuances. This is about electing a leader; who will be able to carry the burden, and strain. This is about electing someone who can fight for Atlasia.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »

Friends, you know me. I was a founding member of Civic Renewal, serving multiple terms as its chair. I am a founding member here as well. I am committed to serving Atlasia as a reformer and a uniter. You've seen what I can do. I am without a doubt, the most experienced candidate currently in the race. Go for someone who has experience in all three branches of government. Atlasia needs a leader who knows it inside and out. I am that leader.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

. I am without a doubt, the most experienced candidate currently in the race.

Well as a former At-Large Senator, two term Governor, Party Chair, Interior Secretary and Party Chair I'd respectfully disagree. I think we someone who not just have extensive experience of gaining titles- but someone who has experience of actually achieving results, and putting out a positive and radical vision. Quibbles aside I came back to post my reform/policy plans I forgot to post before

My Plan to enthuse Atlasia, in my first 50 days

15 in 50

1. As President I'll arrange with the GM state visits to Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East to work with the Secretary of State to develop a new foreign policy, based on real policy.

2. As President I'll radically reform the role of GM to have more powers over policy, and to create a 'Crisis' system requiring responsive action from lawmakers.

3. As President I'll work with the Healthcare committee to help pass meaningful healthcare reforms.

4. As President I'll work with congressional leaders from both parties to begin the work on a full Budget.

5. As President I'll work with the Secretary of State and GM to model the Syrian Crisis, and work for a full solution to the awful crisis that we've seen unfold in Syria.

6. As President I'll launch a flagship non-partisan National Infrastructure Board to work out how to fix Atlasia's decaying Infrastructure.

7. As President I'll launch a review of all Atlasian Military Forces and their positioning around the World, which will be published in a global defense review.

8. As President I'll reform the role of the Cabinet; with the Vice President being given a seat to enable a pro-active and responsive government.

9. As President I'll not only issue a State of the Union Speech, but I'll give 'Charter' speeches outlining  my administrations positions on healthcare, public security, energy and education.

10. As President I'll keep launch a flagship 'New Media Scheme' to encourage individuals to start new, independent media groups in Atlasia.

11. As President I'll hold bi-monthly meetings with my Cabinet, and Congressional leaders to oversee our progress.

12. As President I'll launch a new environmental strategy to protect our wildlife from the Gulf of Mexico to the Alaskan Arctic.

13. As President I'll launch a full gameplay audit to understand and assess what people like and don't like about Atlasia.

14. As President I'll visit Asia and the United Kingdom to begin work on trade deals with the assistance of the Secretary of State, and oversight of GM.

15. As President I'll ensure that all offices, from regional assembly members to Cabinet officers are full by recruiting new players, working with party chairs and Governors, and finally ensuring we have a healthy and active Atlasia   

Blair for President: Let's Fight for Atlasia

The Blair Plan: 10 Steps to Save Atlasia

1. A Crisis System: A new crisis system where players actions and decisions will have real consequences and were Real Time decisions will be needed for major crisis's like terrorist attacks, piracy, international diplomacy, recessions and domestic incidents.

2. A more powerful Cabinet: Cabinets in the past have been side shows. I'd want players of all parties in Cabinet roles that are just as important as legislators. They'd deal with their own crisis, have clear briefs and will be expected to pull their weight.

3. A Game Audit: If elected President I want to find out what every player thinks about Atlasia, and our entire game-play system. We had the ConCon to change our political structure but we need to change the way we actually participate.

4. A Good Governance Group: I'd set up an independent group, chaired by a player from a different party to actively asses, and grade the performance of all elected officials in the Federal Government and Congress.

5. A More Powerful GM: For too long the GM has lacked powers, meaning even when they want to be active they're limited. I'd give the GM powers to run crisis situations, model public opinion and make the game more responsive. 

6. A Recruitment Surge: Just as I did as Labor Chair I'd bring more people not only into the game, but also into holding office. Naturally we have a high turn over rate. For this reason I will use the Office of the Presidency, and all my energy into bringing people into the game, and back into it.

7. A Leading President: As President I'd by the leading light of activity, from State of the Union Speeches, to foreign trips and submitting my own legislative agenda. Like President Leinad if I'm not active enough after 50 days in office I will not run for a second term.

8. A New role for the VP: We've had great people hold the office of VP but more needs to be done to put them at the centre stage. I'd give my Vice-President three clear policy areas, a seat at the Cabinet and a leading diplomatic role.

9. A New Media: I'd help set up a new media  wing of Atlasia where stories, gossip and genuine stories could be written. Newspapers in the past where often just for GM's or parties. We need a true independence press to boost activity.

10. A bit of Fight We're electing so much more than a President this October. We're picking the person who can help shape the Nation. We need a bold plan to fix the game- now is not the the time for old solutions, and now is not the time to vote for business as usual. Now is the time to fight.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »

Well as a former At-Large Senator, two term Governor, Party Chair, Interior Secretary and Party Chair I'd respectfully disagree. I think we someone who not just have extensive experience of gaining titles- but someone who has experience of actually achieving results, and putting out a positive and radical vision. Quibbles aside I came back to post my reform/policy plans I forgot to post before

...hmmm...

...interesting word choice, Senator. Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »

Shocked ANUSTART has hijacked Blair's account! Somebody call an exorcist, quick!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »

South American Mosquitos, they'll bite your head off! Probably got infected last year. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 01:09:22 AM »

Distinguished members of the United Alternative,

I don't anticipate being able to persuade you guys to not endorse your own ticket in this election. That is perfectly, understandable, though we disagree on a few things, Rpryor is a distinguished candidate who deserves consideration.

However, I would encourage you to consider giving me strong support in the preferential voting. Some of you know of a good bit of my record in the Senate, whereas others are newer I would hope to earn your support by focusing on the things I care deeply about. Some folks have been in this race, preparing for this or expecting it perhaps for a month, I have been in race for just over an hour.

For one thing, I most deeply am concerned about preserving an Atlasia that is both Welcoming and that we can be proud of. Secondly, since I joined this game, I have passionately fought to improve and preserve regions and my top priority will be to improve and drive regions forward. I have kept an open mind to reform and have led fights to improve the cabinet and Game Moderate (it was litteraly the first bill I worked on). I understand how difficult these problems are and I undersand how best to fix them. I have worked to facilitate other reforms as well, even those where I was not in full agreement, from Antonio's 2012 plan to the gov't reform aspect of Duke's 2013 plan. And finally serving as a delegate in the recent convention and fighting to protect the convention from things that could have destroyed it.

I did not do these things alone. I have worked with people in other parties on everyone of these matters. This is not the first time we had a healthcare committee of sorts and this is not the first time it has ground to a halt. In 2014, the same thing happened. I pressed on, assembled the key Senators and the President, and we got it done. I will take the same approach to getting real results on mental health as well. You can check the present committee and in it you will see a good outline of my preferred approach to the issue of healthcare, to which I will be adding more in the coming days. However, it should be noted that the final bill has to be the product of a compromise, just like the 2014 bill was.

Finally, I want to end by thanking your party and your members for your participation in this game and the contributions that so many of your members have made. I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some of them, and hope to do so with the rest in the near future.

Thanks and I hope to earn a high preference.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

It's time for voting.

President:

[ ] Blair/Kingpoleon
[ ] Rpryor03/DKrol
[ ] Yankee/?
[ ] Do not endorse a ticket