Clinton speaks about Sanders supporters during private event
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:58:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton speaks about Sanders supporters during private event
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Clinton speaks about Sanders supporters during private event  (Read 3291 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2016, 09:29:57 PM by Ronnie »

The Washington Free Beacon has released a previously undisclosed recording of a fundraising event that Hillary Clinton attended during the primaries.  Here is the full audio recording, and here are a few highlights from the Politico article that reported it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »

Meh, her campaign wasn't exactly friendly to Sanders', but this didn't sound like an insult to me. She's just acknowledging the fact that the number of people staying with their parents is rising, which is happening for a lot of reasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »

Uh, no, she's saying that plenty of millenials live with their parents because of a lack of job opportunities. Which is true. What an inane twisting of her words.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »

Uh, no, she's saying that plenty of millenials live with their parents because of a lack of job opportunities. Which is true. What a stupid twisting of her words.

Yeah, I'll change the title.  My apologies.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »

I mean... I think this is more about a lack of opportunity than of motivation. She is clearly talking about the millenials ("children of the Great Recession")who have been forced into doing things lilt living with their parents, just because they were not born into a wealthy family. The wording is kind of meh, but I totally get the sentiment.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:27:54 PM »

I wouldn't call this an insult or a compliment, but it'll inevitably get spun as both.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »

She was bieng empathetic.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

Good. Honestly, I am not a leftist who's going to pay for everything. I think we should have universal healthcare under something similar to the Dutch or German system and perhaps cheaper college, but not free.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »

Come on, this is all the way back in February, when she was trying to figure out what was going on. This is really a nothingburger. It's obvious that misogynist nihilist Glenn Greenwald wants President Trump (and that statement is not a joke)
Fusionmunster

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »

Come on, this is all the way back in February, when she was trying to figure out what was going on. This is really a nothingburger

It doesn't even have the appearance of a scandal actually. A nothingburger has to atleast look like a scandal.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:43 PM »

Come on, this is all the way back in February, when she was trying to figure out what was going on. This is really a nothingburger. It's obvious that misogynist nihilist Glenn Greenwald wants President Trump (and that statement is not a joke)

GG is such a whiny creature
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »

Does everything have to be a scandal these days?  I'm most of the way through the recording, and I've enjoyed her remarks so far.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »

Meh, I was a die-hard Sanders supporter and I'm not offended, wish she was a bit more idealistic though.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

What a b*tch!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »

Meh. Not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully this won't hurt her numbers.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:16 PM »

Meh. Not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully this won't hurt her numbers.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 10:40:47 PM »

To me, this seemed more like a moment of understanding than an insult (though people who refuse to like her under any circumstances will obviously spin it the other way.)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »

That doesn't sound bad at all?

She's saying, during the primaries, that the Sanders supporters don't seem to be thinking too much about the details of what they're proposing or how to pay for it. Which is a case she made very publically too.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »

"...and that we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means, and half the people don’t know what that means, but it’s something that they deeply feel."

Golly gee, why on earth don't younger voters like Hillary Clinton???
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »

Obviously, these comments were intended to be at least somewhat sympathetic, and she's not wrong. Still, I could see some of the Sanders supporters who are more resistant to her misinterpreting what she said.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »

"...and that we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means, and half the people don’t know what that means, but it’s something that they deeply feel."

Half was being generous.  Most of Sanders supporters were utterly clueless millenials who just wanted to have trendy, alternative political views.

That said, these comments were made in February, no clue why they're coming up now.  Is this supposed to be some sort of October surprise?  News outlets are acting like they happened just now.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:15 PM »

This line of attack on millennials always felt weird to me, since my parents believe that stuff even more than I do.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:13 PM »

Wow Clinton is really nice to her opponents in private leaked audio tapes.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »

Hillary was being a little condescending, but she didn't say anything that was necessarily untrue.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »

This is when Sanders will be doing 3-4 rallies a day for her all over the country courting his voters especially millennials - He is in Iowa & Minnesota on Monday!

Very condescending - She agrees that she is a centrist politician & rebukes the Universal Healthcare or No Tuition in Public colleges. There is no Free College though here there will be many other expenses other than tuition but this will sharply decrease the costs & student debt!

What happened to all the tall talks about Democrats fighting for Universal Healthcare in debates, her own plan for a Universal Healthcare in the 90's. Guess she will get nothing done in office & will face a 2020 primary.

The tone n tenor of her talk about millennials is incredibly condescending. I mean she doesn't look at her own base which is the most uninformed low information voters who just vote for a brand because they like it - I mean look at this forum full of stupid people who are voters!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies