When will America have a presidential election...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:25:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  When will America have a presidential election...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will America have a presidential election...  (Read 899 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2016, 05:24:12 AM »
« edited: October 01, 2016, 05:30:11 AM by Phony Moderate »

...that isn't hyped up as being more historically important than the two world wars, the Norman conquest, the Cultural Revolution, 9/11, the Crucifixion, Red October and the Black Death combined? Granted it's somewhat more justified than usual this time but ugh. If anything it suppresses turnout rather than enhancing it.

But I'm sure we're all looking forward to the HISTORICALLY VITAL Kaine vs. Gardner 2024 race.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »

Wasnt 2000 considered the last "nothing at stake" election?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:09:47 AM »

Wasnt 2000 considered the last "nothing at stake" election?

Which is pretty ironic, with hindsight.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »

I can only think of a few elections that were pretty much inconsiquential. The big one that sticks out in my mind is 1924. Maybe 1988, but much less so.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »

I seem to remember 2000 not being that big of a deal while the campaign was actually going on, but I was just a kid. It's hard to imagine anyone being fired up about 96 either.

It's not hard to see why the last four elections were a big deal. 04 we were in the middle of a war, in 08 Obama ran to the left of where he's governed and the financial crisis happened, and this year we have the biggest difference between two candidates since at least Johnson/Goldwater and Trump saying stuff that a major party nominee hasn't said any time in recent memory. 2012 is really the only one where I'd attribute the importance people assigned to it to media hype.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »

I seem to remember 2000 not being that big of a deal while the campaign was actually going on, but I was just a kid. It's hard to imagine anyone being fired up about 96 either.

It's not hard to see why the last four elections were a big deal. 04 we were in the middle of a war, in 08 Obama ran to the left of where he's governed and the financial crisis happened, and this year we have the biggest difference between two candidates since at least Johnson/Goldwater and Trump saying stuff that a major party nominee hasn't said any time in recent memory. 2012 is really the only one where I'd attribute the importance people assigned to it to media hype.
I'd say Reagan v. Mondale had a much bigger difference. Kerry v. Bush was also a bigger difference when you take into account the fact that Trump has taken every generic center-right position.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »

Although if Romney had won we would probably see it as very consequential.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:40:41 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2016, 06:43:10 PM by PR »

When the Republican Party stops being a dangerously misanthropic and nihilistic party of demagogues and returns to being a functional party that has even a sliver of respect for human life* - even if they and the Democrats passionately disagree with each other on many policy issues, as I'm sure they will continue to do so indefinitely.

*As opposed to their current sanctimonious posturing about being "pro-life" even though they have repeatedly demonstrated that they range from being rather indifferent to the suffering of members of the socially disenfranchised and marginalized to actually actively wanting people to suffer out of some perverse desire for "punishment' that easily crosses into the sadistic.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump takes such vague positions on conventional policy issues that it's admittedly hard to place him on any strict ideological chart, but we haven't seen anything like his nuclear comments from a major party nominee since Goldwater, and his views on immigration, free speech, and trade (as well as other things) haven't been seen from a major party candidate in any modern election.

Although if Romney had won we would probably see it as very consequential.

Maybe just as a "barometer of the national mood" thing (the way that the Reagan elections are "consequential") with Romney's win being a rejection of Obama era "change", but in terms of actual policy over the past four years, changes would be slight, especially when you consider that the Republicans probably don't take the Senate if Romney wins.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:03:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/goldwater-attacks-johnsons-vietnam-policy

It's shocking just how many people think Goldwater advocated nuclear warfare rather than extremely minor nuclear strikes.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »

I haven't heard of any election being hyped up that way.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »

As long as people want it, they're going to hype it up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

Never is the correct answer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 09:30:17 PM »

I mean, this one is pretty damn important.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies