Seriously, my fellow lefties... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:19:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Seriously, my fellow lefties... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seriously, my fellow lefties...  (Read 8747 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »

Xahar is, as always, right. I don't really understand why people treat voting as some extension of their personality where it's important that they can feel nice or whatever? It's so adolescent.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »

The issue with that rationale is that if the expected value of your vote is realistically zero in a razor-thin swing state that's decided by 0.1% and a rock-solid, safe state decided by 25%.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »

Glad to see Shua's still out there, fightin'.

In my experience there's a huge amount of variation in what even many very educated people will tell you about the ethics of voting when you ask them why it's important to vote and how you should select a candidate. Many of them jump straight to the shockingly and transparently weak "deciding vote" argument.
Yes, that's a really stupid argument. I vote because it makes me feel good, not because it would be rational. And this is the case for most people, really. They only don't know or admit it.

Well, sure, but really it's just about the basic fact that aggregates matter. I've voted for some right crooks in my time (granted with a transferable vote it's a whole different issue, but still).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies