How could any decent person vote trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:36:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How could any decent person vote trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: How could any decent person vote trump?  (Read 3671 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »

Why are people talking about Communism here? I don't know if any communist running for President.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »

For some, it will be ignorance. For others, it will be a strong disagreement with what Hillary Clinton wants to do.
EnglishPete

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »

And as for comparing communism with nazism, stfu. Communism is obviously impossible to force through,
Really. Does that mean that the Bolsheviks never came to power in Russia, that there weren't millions of people killed in state terror, purges and man made famines, that russia wasn't wrecked for generations? Oh no wait all those things happened in Russia, and elsewhere in the world, precisely because communism can be forced through

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well I suspect you're right that Lenin didn't have mass murder as a 'stated aim' when he was campaigning for popular support before he gained power. I suspect Hitler didn't have that as a 'stated aim' when he was on the campaign trail either.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »

By being terrified of Hillary Clinton.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »

... I'm not a communist. What are you talking about; what is your point? Go take it up with a Leninist, because I have no interest in defending the Bolsheviks or really any Russian leader ever. They were scumbags of the highest order, just like most other leaders of that country.

Also Hitler, pretty explicitly stated his aims in Mein Kampf. Of course, he didn't shout it from the rooftops (especially when he was trying to get the industrialists, the military and conservatives on his side) but the endgame of Nazism is explicitly an ethnically pure state, something which explicitly requires at best ethnic cleansing or at worst genocide.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »

There is no more place for decency in presidential politics. Eight years of Bill Clinton saw to that.

I don't blame Bill Clinton for all of this.  Both Bushes bear responsibility for this as well.

Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Donald Trump.  Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  Those who can't see that have taken self-righteousness to new levels.  Either that, or they're too young and immature to know their snot from their turds.

If you are voting for a fascist, you aren't a decent person.
EnglishPete

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2016, 12:28:34 PM by EnglishPete »

There is no more place for decency in presidential politics. Eight years of Bill Clinton saw to that.

I don't blame Bill Clinton for all of this.  Both Bushes bear responsibility for this as well.

Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Donald Trump.  Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  Those who can't see that have taken self-righteousness to new levels.  Either that, or they're too young and immature to know their snot from their turds.
Another lefty who thinks they're in any position to judge decency.
As for 'fascist' is that all you lefties bleat? Someone says something you don't like and its the non stop bleating of "fascist", "nazi" "racist" "sexist" etc etc etc

So if I can just summarize this thread

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »

For others, it will be a strong disagreement with what Hillary Clinton wants to do.

You mean not initiate a nuclear war?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »

I really don't believe that any decent person can vote for Trump.
Do you know any decent people?
^ hence the problem with such blanket statements. Obviously someone decent will vote for Trump, even one decent one if not more. He'll get many millions of votes.

No. Obviously, my response to that went unanswered. I figured someone with a UK avatar would appreciate some British humour, but apparently not when that avatar is blue.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »

I don't blame Bill Clinton for all of this.  Both Bushes bear responsibility for this as well.

Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Donald Trump.  Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  Those who can't see that have taken self-righteousness to new levels.  Either that, or they're too young and immature to know their snot from their turds.
As for 'fascist' is that all you lefties bleat? Someone says something you don't like and its the non stop bleating of "fascist", "nazi" "racist" "sexist" etc etc etc

Who knows what the unstable orangutan will do when he gets in office? Nuke China because he lost a twitter war at 3 in the morning?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »

That doesn't necessarily follow.  A decent person may vote for a fascist or otherwise bad candidate (and I certainly think Trump is a horrible person and wouldn't vote for him in a million years) for a variety of reasons.  They may simply not realize how bad the candidate is, or think the other choice is worse, or be a single-issue voter, or be misled by their sources of information, and no doubt other reasons exist.  That doesn't automatically make these voters awful people.  To be clear, some of Trump's supporters are indeed deplorable people -- but it's a mistake to tar all of them with the same brush.
EnglishPete

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »

Who knows what the unstable orangutan will do when he gets in office? Nuke China because he lost a twitter war at 3 in the morning?
I think you're mistaken. The candidate who has a history of repeatedly pushing for war is Hillary Clinton
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »

Sbane is a lefty now? Kek
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

People can support Trump for various reasons, and still be a good person. Just like one could support the BN, ing P and be a good person, with legitimate political concerns (on some regards).

No, they can't.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »

The Communist Party USA by contrast, still exists and the ideology supported by the Communist Party,  has real influence in the world and real power.
Well, yes, moderate liberalism certainly has real influence in the world. I'm not sure who would claim otherwise.
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »

Though a decent person I won't vote Trump because I 'm not a US citizen, fortunately.  
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2016, 12:56:57 PM by Torie »

I don't blame Bill Clinton for all of this.  Both Bushes bear responsibility for this as well.

Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Donald Trump.  Millions of decent folks are going to vote for Hillary Clinton.  Those who can't see that have taken self-righteousness to new levels.  Either that, or they're too young and immature to know their snot from their turds.
Another lefty who thinks they're in any position to judge decency.", "nazi" "racist" "sexist" etc etc etc

As for 'fascist' is that all you lefties bleat? Someone says something you don't like and its the non stop bleating of "fascistSo if I can just summarize this thread

Let me help you with some of this. If Sbane were British, he would probably be a Tory. And yes, Trump does have fascist tendencies. The starting point for that, is his contempt for the system of checks and balances in the U.S. (and in particular, his contempt for the courts), attended by extreme nationalistic rhetoric (think about his lashing out at "the other" as the source for so much of what ails America).  Sound familiar?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »

Another lefty who thinks they're in any position to judge decency.", "nazi" "racist" "sexist" etc etc etc

As for 'fascist' is that all you lefties bleat? Someone says something you don't like and its the non stop bleating of "fascistSo if I can just summarize this thread

Let me help you with some of this. If Sbane were British, he would probably be a Tory. And yes, Trump does have fascist tendencies. The starting point for that, is his contempt for the system of checks and balances in the U.S. (and in particular, his contempt for the courts), attended by extreme nationalistic rhetoric (think about his lashing out at "the other" as the source for so much of what ails America).  Sound familiar?

Maybe Libdem but I am certainly not a lefty.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »

Don't you support Modi?
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »

This is a terrible thread, but considering who started it, I can't say I'm surprised.

Of course, you see nothing wrong with what Trump says or does. I aint surprised that you'd attack the thread.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »

That doesn't necessarily follow.  A decent person may vote for a fascist or otherwise bad candidate (and I certainly think Trump is a horrible person and wouldn't vote for him in a million years) for a variety of reasons.  They may simply not realize how bad the candidate is, or think the other choice is worse, or be a single-issue voter, or be misled by their sources of information, and no doubt other reasons exist.  That doesn't automatically make these voters awful people.  To be clear, some of Trump's supporters are indeed deplorable people -- but it's a mistake to tar all of them with the same brush.

I have a good friend who is voting for Trump. She did an interview with him quite a few years ago and thinks he's an "honest" person.

Needless to say, she and I don't talk about politics because it would probably end a good friendship. She is not a deplorable person, but I do feel she is totally misguided in regards to Trump and all his personality issues and flaws. I am practicing tolerance for her personal beliefs in this instance.

Good on me. Smiley

ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »

Danger of veering off-topic, but I don't think Trump is a fascist in the textbook definition.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »

I would "like" and "share" if this were Facebook.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »

How could any decent American question another person's decency by how they dispense with their right to vote?

This post is typical Atlas hackery of the highest order and an affront to the millions of Americans who vote Republican.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »

How could any decent American question another person's decency by how they dispense with their right to vote?

Indeed, how could they.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies