If you were a Senator of the New Republic (Star Wars) what would you be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:47:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  If you were a Senator of the New Republic (Star Wars) what would you be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Centrist

Populist

Non of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: If you were a Senator of the New Republic (Star Wars) what would you be?  (Read 798 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »

Populists:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Centrists:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:10:08 PM »

I might actually be closer to the Centrists in policy views, but I can't condone crypto-Palpatinism. Moderate populist.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »

I might actually be closer to the Centrists in policy views, but I can't condone crypto-Palpatinism. Moderate populist.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:09:47 AM »

write-in: reorganization into the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:29:43 AM »

Populists. While I would support the goals of a strong galactic government with a strong military, I would be very uneasy about the possibility of having another Palpatine come to power. On the other hand though, it was a weak Republic without a standing military that allowed Palpatine to rise to power in the first place.

At the founding of the Empire, it's really not hard to see how Palpatine had broad and sweeping support. I don't believe the inner workings and talks between Palpatine and the Jedi and Senators such as Organa and Amidala were exactly galactic knowledge. I'm sure most of the population and Senators saw a Chancellor working hard to defeat a Separatist movement determined to tear apart the Republic.

Technically, Palpatine's speech to the Galactic Senate announcing the formation of the Empire was not incorrect. The Jedi did attempt to overthrow and assassinate the duly elected leader of the Galactic Republic and serve as an interim government. Of course, we know that their reasons were just and to protect the Republic and the Jedi Order, but the optics of suspending democracy in order to protect democracy look very bad. From the eyes of the Senate and the population, was there any law preventing a Sith Lord from serving as Chancellor? I don't think so. I don't agree with the viewpoint, but it really is not hard to see how people could side with Palpatine (not to mention how few actually knew that he was actually running both sides of the war). Of course, after years of a totalitarian dictatorship, that justification no longer has any weight.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »

Populists. While I would support the goals of a strong galactic government with a strong military, I would be very uneasy about the possibility of having another Palpatine come to power. On the other hand though, it was a weak Republic without a standing military that allowed Palpatine to rise to power in the first place.

At the founding of the Empire, it's really not hard to see how Palpatine had broad and sweeping support. I don't believe the inner workings and talks between Palpatine and the Jedi and Senators such as Organa and Amidala were exactly galactic knowledge. I'm sure most of the population and Senators saw a Chancellor working hard to defeat a Separatist movement determined to tear apart the Republic.

Technically, Palpatine's speech to the Galactic Senate announcing the formation of the Empire was not incorrect. The Jedi did attempt to overthrow and assassinate the duly elected leader of the Galactic Republic and serve as an interim government. Of course, we know that their reasons were just and to protect the Republic and the Jedi Order, but the optics of suspending democracy in order to protect democracy look very bad. From the eyes of the Senate and the population, was there any law preventing a Sith Lord from serving as Chancellor? I don't think so. I don't agree with the viewpoint, but it really is not hard to see how people could side with Palpatine (not to mention how few actually knew that he was actually running both sides of the war). Of course, after years of a totalitarian dictatorship, that justification no longer has any weight.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »

I'd be a part of the populist faction, but I wouldn't just vote the faction line.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

Populist for sure. The stuffed shirts in the Core shall not dictate the daily lives of the hard working people of the Rim.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:11:42 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies