Is Trump the new Akin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Trump the new Akin?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Trump the new Akin?  (Read 1658 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:11 PM »

He's Akin on a presidential level, in that he's losing a race almost anyone else would win.

I don't know if he's Akin in terms of polls overestimating his success even when losing.

I don't agree with your premise.  I think it's equally possible that Hillary Clinton is failing to blow out a candidate other Democrats would be more firmly dominating.

For the umpteenth time, there have been polls of Obama vs. Trump and he does only marginally better than Clinton.
The problem isn't that she is an unappealing candidate but that the electorate is so polarized that Republicans will take 45% of the vote even if their candidate is an abominable individual like Trump.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »

I'd say more like an uncensored version of Clayton Williams, who Ann Richards beat in 1990.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »

Fuzzy Bear, he is laughing his ass off at gullible Christians. you do get that, right?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »

He's Akin on a presidential level, in that he's losing a race almost anyone else would win.

I don't know if he's Akin in terms of polls overestimating his success even when losing.

I don't agree with your premise.  I think it's equally possible that Hillary Clinton is failing to blow out a candidate other Democrats would be more firmly dominating.

There are arguments for your point of view.  The GOP is the "out" Presidential party.  The economic recovery is very much a disappointment for a lot of ordinary folks.  On the other hand, Obama is consistently above-water in approval ratings, the stock market is up and housing values have rebounded considerably. 
You're seeing a premise I haven't made. I'm agnostic on the question of whether Hillary is outperforming other Democrats. The question here is whether other Republicans would do better than Trump, and I think they would.

Akin would have likely lost an open election to a lesser-known candidate (just as Richard Mourdoch did in Indiana.)

Whether another Democrat would be blowing Trump away is a difficult question. That requires imagining a primary without Hillary, which could very well have resulted in circumstances that would suck for Democrats (Bernie Sanders winning in a crowded field of less-known figures, Republicans picking someone more electable when there isn't the anger directed at Hillary.)

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »

In terms of polling missing the scale of his loss, yes. There were a lot of people around here who thought that Akin would still win after his comments, yet they were proven wrong by the actual results.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=162880.msg3487170#msg3487170

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=163843.0

lol. Trump could well be overpolling now.

But there are reasons why I think Missouri will close a bit, and could well be a toss up on election night. However, this is a Presidential race, so Trump should win MO at the end. Akin was just simply tied with Claire, Trump  leads Clinton in MO.

Akin v McCaskill and Trump v Clinton comparison has some validation. But there are differences. Presidential vs Senatorial race, GOP is not giving up on Trump, to conservatives: More is at stake if they lose the presidency then if they lose a single Senate seat. Also, Hillary is more unpopular nationally then Claire was in Missouri in 2012.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »

Guys, this isn't about Supreme Court nominations. Fuzzy Bear dislikes individual freedoms and brown people like most other Trump supporters so he wants to make the US more fascist. Of course him and his fellow Trumpists won't want to admit to this so they'll create all sorts of excuses.

Obviously, anyone who in the primaries enthusiastically backed Trump over the other Republican candidates is a false Christian who doesn't give a s**t about the word of God. Yeah, you worried Cruz or Rubio wouldn't appoint the right Supreme Court justice? You thought Trump was the safest bet to win the election and get that appointment? Yeah, didn't think so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »

I said this back in early August, and I still stand by it ....

Congratulations Mr trump !
You will go down in history with the likes of Todd Akin, Richard Mourdock and Christine O'Donnell.
I hope you like your political bio in the books, comparing you to other "wackos, weirdos and witches" that Republicans have nominated in the primaries, only to be "shockingly" defeated in the general.
You ignorant orange-haired clown.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »

"Is Trump the new Akin?" might be the most cringeworthy question of Atlas 2016.  Congratulations.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »

There are arguments for your point of view.  The GOP is the "out" Presidential party.  The economic recovery is very much a disappointment for a lot of ordinary folks.  On the other hand, Obama is consistently above-water in approval ratings, the stock market is up and housing values have rebounded considerably. 
Polls indicate Obama wouldn't be doing much, if at all, better than Clinton.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

Polls indicate Obama wouldn't be doing much, if at all, better than Clinton.

I've posted the same thing many times but the "Obama would be CRUSHING Trump" has become a myth that won't die.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 02:12:41 AM »

Guys, this isn't about Supreme Court nominations. Fuzzy Bear dislikes individual freedoms and brown people like most other Trump supporters so he wants to make the US more fascist. Of course him and his fellow Trumpists won't want to admit to this so they'll create all sorts of excuses.

Obviously, anyone who in the primaries enthusiastically backed Trump over the other Republican candidates is a false Christian who doesn't give a s**t about the word of God. Yeah, you worried Cruz or Rubio wouldn't appoint the right Supreme Court justice? You thought Trump was the safest bet to win the election and get that appointment? Yeah, didn't think so.

Yes, thank you.

Let's stop trying to apologize for people like Fuzzy Bear and other 'well-intentioned' Trump supporters, and let's stop thinking we could sway them to vote any other way.  They've already renounced the use of logic and care little for human decency, so nothing you say will change their minds at this point - especially after this past week.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies