How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins?  (Read 4362 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:25 PM »

I would move my money out of the US and start preparing for the general disaster. Storing food, mostly.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »

Now there's something too look forward to!
rob in cal
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »

I'd remind Democrats to sit back and hold tight, millions of future left of center leaning voters are on their way through the immigration process (talking about them and their children), and just think about all the overreactions about when Reagan, Clinton, and Obama took over, black helicopters, the amero, the imminent collapse of the economy under Reagan (also nuclear war), etc.etc.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:53 AM »

I think this thread is worthy of a bump.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »

you guys really want to be view as cry babies who riot if things dont go their way you really want to give up the chance of a democrat being the 46th president?
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »

you guys really want to be view as cry babies who riot if things dont go their way you really want to give up the chance of a democrat being the 46th president?

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 10:46:11 PM by Crumpets »

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.

So, suppose the modern American left had full control of government. Say 2009 levels plus maybe 5 votes in the Senate, enough state legislatutes to amend the constitution, and a 6-3 Supreme Court. What do you think their agenda would be?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 11:36:17 PM by Northwest Goff »

The attempts at recreating Nixon-era divides by the right is a pretty strange form of nostalgia.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:42 AM »

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.

may i, someone who adores many of your posts, ask humbly, at which point in your opinion necessary criticism of the government is ending and eh... "hostility against america" is beginning?
catscanjumphigh
Rookie
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:32 AM »

We're seeing their actions as we speak.  They were the ones saying Trump supporters wouldn't act classy if Trump lost, but we see Democrats breaking into buildings and burning places down.  This is the new face of the left.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2017, 08:18:13 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.

So, suppose the modern American left had full control of government. Say 2009 levels plus maybe 5 votes in the Senate, enough state legislatutes to amend the constitution, and a 6-3 Supreme Court. What do you think their agenda would be?

1.  Establishing LGBTI as a "protected class" of persons along with race, color, creed.

2.  Grant amnesty to all illegal aliens, regardless of origin.

3.  Remove 503(c) tax exemptions from churches that preach that homosexuality is sin or refuse to perform same-sex marriages.

4.  Require religious institutions to hire homosexuals for all positions regardless of theology.

5.  Work to end all vouchers for private schools.

6.  Establish and advance "death with dignity" euthanasia.

7.  Establish national registration of all firearms.

8.  Ban the carrying of handguns, except for law enforcement.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »

Answer:

These people will scream and wail because we have a white man as President.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

They will absolutely lose their minds: weeping and gnashing of teeth. There will also be riots in the major cities, instigated by Black Lives Matter and other Soros funded liberal groups.

Nailed it!
bouncycorn
Rookie
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »

Protests.. They'll get over it eventually though
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »

Protests.. They'll get over it eventually though

oh, i think nearly everyone is over his election by now (besides trump himself, who can't get over the fact he lost the PV)

getting over trump's autocratic tendencies on the other hand would be a disaster.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 09:38:28 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

may i, someone who adores many of your posts, ask humbly, at which point in your opinion necessary criticism of the government is ending and eh... "hostility against america" is beginning?

It's the "I'm ashamed of America!" crap.  The "I'm moving to Canada/Europe/Antarctica!' line.  

Criticism of Trump is legitimate.  He's invited his share, and I'll admit that he comes off as thin-skinned.  Actively advocating shutting down public functions in "protest" (blocking roads, shutting down public buildings, justifying destruction of property) are uncalled for.  These folks really believe the "Orange Hitler" hype; they really think they're Massive FFs, when so many of them are just angry that they missed the sixties.  

People say this is all about Trump.  He's different.  He's a real fascist.  That's what folks say.  I say that these folks who are bent out of shape over Trump would be equally bent out of shape if Ted Cruz had been elected.  They'd be screaming about the exact same things.  Folks are screaming how Trump is anti-gay and he's the least anti-gay of any Republican elected ever, but facts don't matter to these folks.  They're screaming because America, to them, is only great when it's giving them everything they want.  

I grant you that the Republicans were not a loyal opposition to Obama, and some of the "obstruction" is the logical consequence of GOP obstruction during the Obama years.  I don't condone any of that.  And if Gorsuch isn't confirmed as payback for Merrick Garland, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »

It's the "I'm ashamed of America!" crap.  The "I'm moving to Canada/Europe/Antarctica!' line.  

Criticism of Trump is legitimate.  He's invited his share, and I'll admit that he comes off as thin-skinned.  Actively advocating shutting down public functions in "protest" (blocking roads, shutting down public buildings, justifying destruction of property) are uncalled for.  These folks really believe the "Orange Hitler" hype; they really think they're Massive FFs, when so many of them are just angry that they missed the sixties.  

People say this is all about Trump.  He's different.  He's a real fascist.  That's what folks say.  I say that these folks who are bent out of shape over Trump would be equally bent out of shape if Ted Cruz had been elected.  They'd be screaming about the exact same things.  Folks are screaming how Trump is anti-gay and he's the least anti-gay of any Republican elected ever, but facts don't matter to these folks.  They're screaming because America, to them, is only great when it's giving them everything they want.  

I grant you that the Republicans were not a loyal opposition to Obama, and some of the "obstruction" is the logical consequence of GOP obstruction during the Obama years.  I don't condone any of that.  And if Gorsuch isn't confirmed as payback for Merrick Garland, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.

You are selectively choosing your facts. This election was far more acrimonious than any election in decades, and more acrimonious along partisan lines than any in living memory. In 2008, Obama didn't stand on the debate stage and tell McCain that he would put the him in prison. Obama didn't have rallies after the election was over where he mocked his opponents, or send out gloating New Years tweets attacking the people who weren't for him. Obama never sided with a geopolitical for while mocking our own spy agencies in a finding about attacks on American civilians. Obama didn't go into Election Day with a 35% favor ability rating, nor lose by 3 million votes with 45.9% of the vote. All of this is unprecedented for any modern election. As for me, I didn't protest the inauguration but would have if I had the time. When I live in a city that went 4% Trump, I have no real meaningful vote, no Senator, no representative, and no real self government, what other voice do I have?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »

But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.

Perhaps next time your party can try and avoid nominating one of the most disgusting, offensive and morally bankrupt businessmen this country has to offer.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »

But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.

Perhaps next time your party can try and avoid nominating one of the most disgusting, offensive and morally bankrupt businessmen this country has to offer.

-Fine. Lyin' Ted it is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »

None of that justifies the lawlessness, the destruction of property, the violence behavior of demonstrators that has occurred.  None of it.  People in a free society are expected to act better than they feel and respect the rights of others to life, liberty, and property, and that's something a good portion of the demonstrators have not been doing.  Indeed, a good portion of the anti-Trump activity isn't "demonstrations"; it's RIOTING, and if you think that's ever OK, then it's a reflection of your own disdain for the rule of law.

The First Amendment is about peaceable assembly and redress of grievances.  It is not about rioting.

Whatever you think of Trump, he was elected in free and fair elections.  He was nominated DESPITE the strong opposition of BOTH factions of his own party, and he was elected DESPITE the opposition of just about every daily newspaper and media outlet, and with more Governors and Members of Congress of his own party declining to even say they'd vote for him then any Presidential nominee in history, and that includes Goldwater in 1964 and McGovern in 1972.  He did not have the national apparatus of his party clearing the decks for his nomination, and he did not conduct a campaign while under active FBI criminal investigation.  While I didn't, and don't, approve of the "Lock Her Up!" chants or "Hillary for Prison" bumper stickers, they were things that were the result of a party foisting a candidate on the American people that was under criminal investigation.  This is a fact that Democrats seem to not be willing to take responsibility for.

The American people elected Trump.  They elected him by the rules of our elections, and he was elected by a national constituency.  That the people that elected Trump aren't people you like, or people you respect, doesn't make them any less the "American People" than the people that elected Obama or Bill Clinton.   Trump may not be the most gracious winner, but Hillary Clinton was not a gracious candidate and Trump's actions in office to date are the actions of a man determined to show that he is keeping faith with the people who elected him.  I guarantee you that if Hillary were elected and did the same, you would not care one whit if folks like me were not happy.  You'd tell me to get over it.  I won't tell you to get over it, but I will tell you that if you break the law and riot, I'll celebrate your being in jail and I won't post your bond.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

Trump may not be the most gracious winner

That has to be thee understatement of the year.

None of that justifies the lawlessness, the destruction of property, the violence behavior of demonstrators that has occurred.  None of it.

I don't supporting rioting anymore than you do. I have to say though, from your other post, it was a bit ambiguous as to whether you were saying all the protests were bad or just some of them, because most are peaceful enough.

-

Admittedly, if Clinton had won and you guys were protesting or otherwise flipping out, I'd be completely unsympathetic given that you had a chance in this election and instead you moved hard to put an absurdly offensive man-child sociopath into office. You guys could have done a lot better than Trump, or, at least, I sure hope that is the case.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »

I really should listen to myself when I tell myself not to look at certain threads.

Of course many people lost their minds. Yes, a lot of people in this country would've reacted badly to just about anyone with an (R) next to their name winning (just like a lot of people will lose their minds when the next Democrat, whoever he/she is, wins), but a lot of the outrage is more than that. Trump did not run a campaign about hope, change, optimism, and unity. You can argue that Obama didn't deliver on his promises, but he ran a positive campaign that at least sought to end a lot of the division in America. Trump did not. He ran a campaign in which he regularly insulted people, made millions of people feel unwelcome here, and made many statements that a lot of saw as dog whistles. He was ran easily one of the most divisive, negative, and dishonest campaigns in modern history. A lot of the reaction on the left is to that.

I don't condone violent protests, but as I've asked in other threads, how should people voice dissent? I remain convinced that a lot of Trump supporters believe any form of dissent is unacceptable. Trump also hasn't exactly offered an olive branch to the left, he's pretty much just appealed to the right and his base of supporters. When a man like him wins in the way that he did, and makes it clear that he has no interest in actually unifying the country or in any way addressing or trying to compromise with those who didn't support him, why the hell shouldn't we be angry and mobilizing?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »

Overall, it'll be a mess, but any significant violence will be extremely limited. Oh, and the number of Americans who threaten to leave the country and who actually leave the country will be higher than usual.

Did any of the wailing losers keep their word and actually get out of our great country?
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »

I really should listen to myself when I tell myself not to look at certain threads.

Of course many people lost their minds. Yes, a lot of people in this country would've reacted badly to just about anyone with an (R) next to their name winning (just like a lot of people will lose their minds when the next Democrat, whoever he/she is, wins), but a lot of the outrage is more than that. Trump did not run a campaign about hope, change, optimism, and unity. You can argue that Obama didn't deliver on his promises, but he ran a positive campaign that at least sought to end a lot of the division in America. Trump did not. He ran a campaign in which he regularly insulted people, made millions of people feel unwelcome here, and made many statements that a lot of saw as dog whistles. He was ran easily one of the most divisive, negative, and dishonest campaigns in modern history. A lot of the reaction on the left is to that.

I don't condone violent protests, but as I've asked in other threads, how should people voice dissent? I remain convinced that a lot of Trump supporters believe any form of dissent is unacceptable. Trump also hasn't exactly offered an olive branch to the left, he's pretty much just appealed to the right and his base of supporters. When a man like him wins in the way that he did, and makes it clear that he has no interest in actually unifying the country or in any way addressing or trying to compromise with those who didn't support him, why the hell shouldn't we be angry and mobilizing?

I think it's largely the way that lots of Democrats/liberals have been acting like sore losers has been setting people off. Burning things and beating Trump supporters unconscious simply because someone who does not agree with your political views is speaking at your college is unacceptable
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies