How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will Democrats react if Trump actually wins?  (Read 4390 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 02, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »

I would not be surprised if Democrats attempted to make a deal with dissident Republicans in the Electoral College to where they would agree to throw all their votes to a Republican they view as "safe".  (Jeb?  Mitt?  Ryan?)  I don't know if this could actually be pulled off, but if Trump wins, it won't be by much over 270 EV and I suspect that out of 270-plus electors, there are 20-25 or so in a position to be willing Faithless Electors. 

Scripture says that "Life and death are in the power of the tongue."  I will not speak into existence any number of violent worst-case scenarios.  There is no justification for such a thing; none at all.  There is no justification for civil disobedience; none at all.  Whatever one thinks of Trump, he hasn't gotten where he's gotten because the fix was in or ballot boxes were stuffed.  He's won a series of free and open primary elections, and was nominated at a free and open convention. 

I DO think, however, that the GOP will take a good look at having their own "superdelegates" in the nominating process.   For years, it took 2/3 of the delegates in the Democratic Party to pick a Presidential nominee (a sop to its Southern wing).  I wouldn't be surprised if BOTH major parties took a look at something like that.  That being said, if Trump wins, there will be all sorts of recriminations from Democrats directed at those who went in the tank for Hillary, clearing the decks for her nomination, and sticking the Democratic Party with a horribly weak nominee with obvious liabilities.  I'll enjoy that part immensely.  Hillary Clinton was the most repulsive candidate that the DNC could have chosen to clear the decks for, short of an Al Sharpton type.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »

I think this thread is worthy of a bump.

you guys really want to be view as cry babies who riot if things dont go their way you really want to give up the chance of a democrat being the 46th president?

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2017, 08:18:13 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

you guys really want to be view as cry babies who riot if things dont go their way you really want to give up the chance of a democrat being the 46th president?

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.

So, suppose the modern American left had full control of government. Say 2009 levels plus maybe 5 votes in the Senate, enough state legislatutes to amend the constitution, and a 6-3 Supreme Court. What do you think their agenda would be?

1.  Establishing LGBTI as a "protected class" of persons along with race, color, creed.

2.  Grant amnesty to all illegal aliens, regardless of origin.

3.  Remove 503(c) tax exemptions from churches that preach that homosexuality is sin or refuse to perform same-sex marriages.

4.  Require religious institutions to hire homosexuals for all positions regardless of theology.

5.  Work to end all vouchers for private schools.

6.  Establish and advance "death with dignity" euthanasia.

7.  Establish national registration of all firearms.

8.  Ban the carrying of handguns, except for law enforcement.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:36:51 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 09:38:28 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

The left are a bunch of awfulizing whiners who have a pathological need to be "ratified".  I hope that their attitudes of ambivilance toward America (if not outright hostility toward America) will be fully exposed in the next 4 years.  I never thought I'd post something like this, but the anti-Americanism of the left is now out of the closet and on full display.  I believe that, over the years, I have given a number of folks credit for caring about America that they apparently have not deserved.

may i, someone who adores many of your posts, ask humbly, at which point in your opinion necessary criticism of the government is ending and eh... "hostility against america" is beginning?

It's the "I'm ashamed of America!" crap.  The "I'm moving to Canada/Europe/Antarctica!' line.  

Criticism of Trump is legitimate.  He's invited his share, and I'll admit that he comes off as thin-skinned.  Actively advocating shutting down public functions in "protest" (blocking roads, shutting down public buildings, justifying destruction of property) are uncalled for.  These folks really believe the "Orange Hitler" hype; they really think they're Massive FFs, when so many of them are just angry that they missed the sixties.  

People say this is all about Trump.  He's different.  He's a real fascist.  That's what folks say.  I say that these folks who are bent out of shape over Trump would be equally bent out of shape if Ted Cruz had been elected.  They'd be screaming about the exact same things.  Folks are screaming how Trump is anti-gay and he's the least anti-gay of any Republican elected ever, but facts don't matter to these folks.  They're screaming because America, to them, is only great when it's giving them everything they want.  

I grant you that the Republicans were not a loyal opposition to Obama, and some of the "obstruction" is the logical consequence of GOP obstruction during the Obama years.  I don't condone any of that.  And if Gorsuch isn't confirmed as payback for Merrick Garland, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »

But the protests in the streets, the civil disobedience reminiscent of Chicago 1968 over an INAUGURATION, and the like, are beyond any obnoxiousness the Tea Party ever brought on.

Perhaps next time your party can try and avoid nominating one of the most disgusting, offensive and morally bankrupt businessmen this country has to offer.

None of that justifies the lawlessness, the destruction of property, the violence behavior of demonstrators that has occurred.  None of it.  People in a free society are expected to act better than they feel and respect the rights of others to life, liberty, and property, and that's something a good portion of the demonstrators have not been doing.  Indeed, a good portion of the anti-Trump activity isn't "demonstrations"; it's RIOTING, and if you think that's ever OK, then it's a reflection of your own disdain for the rule of law.

The First Amendment is about peaceable assembly and redress of grievances.  It is not about rioting.

Whatever you think of Trump, he was elected in free and fair elections.  He was nominated DESPITE the strong opposition of BOTH factions of his own party, and he was elected DESPITE the opposition of just about every daily newspaper and media outlet, and with more Governors and Members of Congress of his own party declining to even say they'd vote for him then any Presidential nominee in history, and that includes Goldwater in 1964 and McGovern in 1972.  He did not have the national apparatus of his party clearing the decks for his nomination, and he did not conduct a campaign while under active FBI criminal investigation.  While I didn't, and don't, approve of the "Lock Her Up!" chants or "Hillary for Prison" bumper stickers, they were things that were the result of a party foisting a candidate on the American people that was under criminal investigation.  This is a fact that Democrats seem to not be willing to take responsibility for.

The American people elected Trump.  They elected him by the rules of our elections, and he was elected by a national constituency.  That the people that elected Trump aren't people you like, or people you respect, doesn't make them any less the "American People" than the people that elected Obama or Bill Clinton.   Trump may not be the most gracious winner, but Hillary Clinton was not a gracious candidate and Trump's actions in office to date are the actions of a man determined to show that he is keeping faith with the people who elected him.  I guarantee you that if Hillary were elected and did the same, you would not care one whit if folks like me were not happy.  You'd tell me to get over it.  I won't tell you to get over it, but I will tell you that if you break the law and riot, I'll celebrate your being in jail and I won't post your bond.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies