Will Duterte last his entire term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:50:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Duterte last his entire term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Duterte last his entire term?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Will Duterte last his entire term?  (Read 5428 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure the State Department already has the needed plans to get rid of him ready. To answer the question: No, I'd be surprised if he even survives President Hillary Clinton's first term.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »

Given the recent American track record on regime changes, I wouldn't be too optimistic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »

He should be removed, but hopefully through mass mobilization and/or impeachment rather than in some sort of coup.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »

The good people of the Phillipines are might not yet be ready for independence.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:21:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure the State Department already has the needed plans to get rid of him ready. To answer the question: No, I'd be surprised if he even survives President Hillary Clinton's first term.

And go down in Filipino history as an Allende-style national hero?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »

And go down in Filipino history as an Allende-style national hero?

BRTD is rapidly becoming a Scoop Jackson Democrat. Sad.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 08:35:44 AM »

Ugh, Scoop Jackson was awful.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »

Anyone who thinks thinks he should be removed, is really not understanding how the f*k this would play out. He'd probably get f*king hero status, civil war even.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

Duterte, like Morsi, are flawed heroes who will tragically be consumed in our quest for global hegemony human rights and democracy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »

Duterte, like Morsi, are flawed heroes who will tragically be consumed in our quest for global hegemony human rights and democracy.

you forgot to mention Kim Jong Un
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »

Obama pls drone
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »

I don't think the US should intervene here, at all, and I doubt we will. Hillary, seriously, no.  Will the Philippine people rise against him though? I hope so, although it will probably be very tough to oust him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »

I don't think the US should intervene here, at all, and I doubt we will. Hillary, seriously, no.  Will the Philippine people rise against him though? I hope so, although it will probably be very tough to oust him.

One thing is certain: an intervention would make him a popular hero. Not to mention Filipinos wouldn't be too happy about the U.S. getting in again.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

One thing is certain: an intervention would make him a popular hero. Not to mention Filipinos wouldn't be too happy about the U.S. getting in again.

Agreed. All the more so since it seems like he's trying to push the US away by ending the joint military trials. Intervening would make it seem like we were strong arming them to protect our interests.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »

This is exactly why I want the Chinese to do it Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »

You're a badly broken record, man.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »

You're a badly broken record, man.

Nah, more like a jazz variation Smiley
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »

As a Filipino, I can see that he sometimes commit mistakes especially when it comes to his statements as well as his hardline policies but I do really appreciate on what he have done to this country especially on his projects, which in only three to four months in his term, he had already started some of them.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »

As a Filipino, I can see that he sometimes commit mistakes especially when it comes to his statements as well as his hardline policies but I do really appreciate on what he have done to this country especially on his projects, which in only three to four months in his term, he had already started some of them.

Good roads?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

There were a lot of projects under Marcos, weren't they?

I'm not a Filipino, so I naturally know much less about this than you. If not for the whole death squads/let's kill drug addicts stuff I'd probably really like Duterte, given other points of his platform, but it's freaking hard to overlook him supporting to kill 3,000,000 people, bombastic statement or not. I sure hope he'd eventually settle down and focus on more constructive stuff.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »

There were a lot of projects under Marcos, weren't they?

I'm not a Filipino, so I naturally know much less about this than you. If not for the whole death squads/let's kill drug addicts stuff I'd probably really like Duterte, given other points of his platform, but it's freaking hard to overlook him supporting to kill 3,000,000 people, bombastic statement or not. I sure hope he'd eventually settle down and focus on more constructive stuff.
Check out news about Sen. Leila de Lima. Although most of the online Filipino world support the war on drugs.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »

Good roads?
911 emergency, 8888 for those who want to complain about the government, yes, good roads, etc
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »

That's really not their style, though. Plus, he's pivoting away from the US, essentially making him a Chinese ally.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »

That's really not their style, though.

Yes. Why would they do an open annexation?
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »

I can't see that benefiting them in any way, lol. No doubt they watched my country make a fool of itself in Iraq and want to avoid a similar fate. China isn't gonna intervene in Philippine internal politics unless they are seriously threatened. The only threat the Philippines can pose to China is mass migration if they collapse. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies