What countries sponsor terroism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:23:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What countries sponsor terroism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following countries were state sponsors of terrorism as of 9/11/01?
Afghanistan

Cuba

Iran

Iraq

Libya

North Korea

Sudan

Syria

Yemen

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What countries sponsor terroism?  (Read 2395 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2005, 02:18:32 AM »

The preceding is a list of nations that were on the State Department's list of state sponsors of terroism as of 9/11/01.  Given the uproar about the Bush speech linking Iraq and terrorism, I thought I should guage whether people think the State Department's analysis of what countires sponsor terroism is valid.

I say all supported terrorism, and I think State had proven this.  Afghanistan is no longer listed as a state sponsor for obvious reasons and Yemen was removed because they are sharing intelligence with us.  Yemen should not have been removed, IMHO.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 03:02:39 AM »

Where the hell is Saudi Arabia on this list?Huh?

The first comission on 9/11 one headed by Nelson of FL & Shelby of AL, stated various connections between Al Qaeda & members of the Saudi Royal family.  The pages in the report regarding the connection to Saudi Arabia were whitted out of the report that was later released, at the time both Nelson & the Republican Shelby blasted Bush for blocking out the Saudi connection in the reports.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 09:13:24 AM »

Of those listed, I would say all but Cuba and N. Korea. 
Shira

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »

How comes the US is not on the list?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 09:27:44 AM »

Note that it's supposed to refer to right around 9/11, not at any point in living memory before 9/11, or at any time between the last regime change and 9/11.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »

You're the only one that would keep us on that list.  Once you've been deported, we'll be in the clear.  hahaha

Smiley
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 10:32:39 AM »

How can any of us say whether or not any of these nations did or did not sponsor terrorism?  I'm fairly certain that no one here works in the intelligence community, is a national policy maker with access to sensitive intelligence, is themself a terrorist, or somehow has "backdoor information" into terrorist networks and their sponsors.

All we can really do is repeat what we've heard and/or read.  Heck, Iceland could be a state sponsor of terrorism, but just because none of us has heard about it doesn't make it true.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »

All, but Cuba.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »

The first comission on 9/11 one headed by Nelson of FL & Shelby of AL, stated various connections between Al Qaeda & members of the Saudi Royal family.  The pages in the report regarding the connection to Saudi Arabia were whitted out of the report that was later released, at the time both Nelson & the Republican Shelby blasted Bush for blocking out the Saudi connection in the reports.

Saudi Arabia is not on the list because they have never been listed by the State Department as a state sponsor of terrorism, and the purpose of the poll is to guage confidence in the State Department's process for labeling of terrorist sponsors.

Alberto Gonzalez says, "Shut the  up, stupid gringo."

How can any of us say whether or not any of these nations did or did not sponsor terrorism? I'm fairly certain that no one here works in the intelligence community, is a national policy maker with access to sensitive intelligence, is themself a terrorist, or somehow has "backdoor information" into terrorist networks and their sponsors.

All we can really do is repeat what we've heard and/or read. Heck, Iceland could be a state sponsor of terrorism, but just because none of us has heard about it doesn't make it true.

This is a very silly post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 11:09:08 AM »

Saudi Arabia is not on the list because they have never been listed by the State Department as a state sponsor of terrorism, and the purpose of the poll is to guage confidence in the State Department's process for labeling of terrorist sponsors.
Only in one way though...remember how they counted the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 11:11:25 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 11:16:35 AM by Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional »

against the US:

Afghanistan
Iran
Libya
Sudan

against other countries:

Cuba (Not all terrorism is is Islamic you know. Cuba has had ties to ETA and possibly the IRA)
Syria (Hezbollah et al)

I really have no clue about Yemen.

countries that should be on the list:

Saudi Arabia
Russia
Pakistan (probably not now, but around 9/11 they were)
MissCatholic

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »

Why is there no Saudi Arabia?

It always puzzles me  why we never invaded the Saudis.

Where are the insurgents coming from?

Syria and Iran say the GOP.

Not Saudi Arabia?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 11:15:13 AM »

How can any of us say whether or not any of these nations did or did not sponsor terrorism? I'm fairly certain that no one here works in the intelligence community, is a national policy maker with access to sensitive intelligence, is themself a terrorist, or somehow has "backdoor information" into terrorist networks and their sponsors.

All we can really do is repeat what we've heard and/or read. Heck, Iceland could be a state sponsor of terrorism, but just because none of us has heard about it doesn't make it true.

Ah yes, how could I forget ... 21 y/o college students know all ....
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 11:21:02 AM »

Liberia should've also been on the list around 9/11
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 12:01:47 PM »

Why is there no Saudi Arabia?

It always puzzles me  why we never invaded the Saudis.

Where are the insurgents coming from?

Syria and Iran say the GOP.

Not Saudi Arabia?

I partly agree with this to the extent that what we are doing in/with Saudi Arabia is just not being reported. It took a lot of convincing to get the Saudi's involved with this since they had their own terrorist groups running around in their borders. Since we could not attack one of our key regional allies, we've had to use the old thumb screws on them to get them to help. Fortunately (if you want to call the attacks within Saudi a good thing), the recent attacks on their own citizens have forced the Princes to use their troops and police to crack down on these groups. Additionally, exposure to the political gains within Iraq has caused Saudi Arabia to loosen their restrictions on women, making it a more open and free society. How long that will last (or if it's just a verbal gesture) will have to be revealed through time.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »

Probably all of them to some extent.

Also, you missed Canada.  We are a totalitarian Communist dictatorship and therefore clearly support terrorism.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 02:30:01 PM »

It is very silly to say that none of us can know unless we work for the CIA.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »

Yeah, where's the Saudi Arabia option? I guess you conservatives don't give a sh**t about terrorism if it's from Saudi Arabia?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »

For the record, Afghanistan was never on the list. The report did state the Taliban controlled territory provided haven for terrorists. However it did not list Afghanistan on the list because the US did recognize the Taliban as the legimate government.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 10:05:18 PM »

Well ... what proof can you give that Yemen sponsored terrorism?  Similarly what proof can you give that Iceland did not sponsor terrorism?  We can play the "I think" game, but not "I'm sure".
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:39:34 PM »

Well ... what proof can you give that Yemen sponsored terrorism?  Similarly what proof can you give that Iceland did not sponsor terrorism?  We can play the "I think" game, but not "I'm sure".

There are Al Qaeda training camps in Yemen right now.  That doesn't happen withut state sponsorship.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 10:50:04 PM »

It's possible. White supremecist terrorist groups have set up camps full of weapons and banned materials in the US, obviously without state sponsorship.

I wouldn't be suprised if Yemen did sponsor terrorism, but it's ridiculous to claim that every single terrorist group camp in a country is therefore sponsored by the country. By that logic there are many countries that sponsor terrorism against themselves.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 11:41:08 PM »

There are Al Qaeda training camps in Yemen right now.  That doesn't happen withut state sponsorship.

Ok, this begs 2 questions.

1.  How do YOU know there are Al Qaeda camps in Yemen right now?

2. If you do know (without a doubt) that all of the countries you listed are state sponsors of terrorism then why did you put this up for a vote?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 12:15:47 AM »

Ok, this begs 2 questions.

1.  How do YOU know there are Al Qaeda camps in Yemen right now?

2. If you do know (without a doubt) that all of the countries you listed are state sponsors of terrorism then why did you put this up for a vote?

Roll Eyes To any Wanker post.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »

What a poor list.  Shira's right, where is the number one rogue nation on that list?

Aside from direct support of terrorism and terrorist acts perpetrated by american troops, the US has 'sponsored' the 'terrorism' that knocked down those office buildings through its own egregious abuse of those outside its borders.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies