Trump Suggests That Soldiers Who Suffer From PTSD Aren’t “Strong”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:48:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Suggests That Soldiers Who Suffer From PTSD Aren’t “Strong”
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump Suggests That Soldiers Who Suffer From PTSD Aren’t “Strong”  (Read 2371 times)
Fargobison

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »

The Trump trainwreck continues...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/trump-ptsd?bftwnews&utm_term=.ylJpE5A6N#.npDEoO0BR
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »

Trump is a sociopath. What else is new?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »

So he deliberately says something that will alienate one of his strongest support groups.  I'm starting to come around to the theory that he's trying to lose.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »

Trump doesn’t have time for the incompetent soldiers who are caught and become POWs; if they were good soldiers, they wouldn’t have been captured.

Trump doesn’t have time for sissy soldiers who can’t handle killing people and watching your fellow soldiers being dismembered by enemy fire or IEDs.

Trump doesn’t have time for our pathetic, incompetent military that’s incapable of winning anymore and is run by pansy ass generals.

Trump doesn’t think a Muslim family can actually have made a sacrifice for their country like he did by building a business from an initial multimillion-dollar investment from his daddy.

Trump doesn’t think he should have to waste his money on paying taxes to support our military personnel while they’re putting their lives on the line.

Trump doesn’t think anyone is better, manlier, more strategic, patriotic, or smarter than himself because, while ordinary Americans were dodging gunfire and contracting long-term health complications from chemicals such as agent orange used in Vietnam, he was busy waging his own, equally challenging war, dodging STDs sleeping around in New York and discriminating against African Americans in housing.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »

Yet more veterans and active-duty people continue to support him. Roll Eyes
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

What the f**k! I can't even.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »

Popcorn, anyone?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2016, 12:40:07 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

This isn't a scandal. He didn't disparage the soldiers or the veterans. Some people come back in stronger shape than others. Some see things that don't faze them. Others are shattered and permanently destroyed. I have-or had, better yet, one relative who went to Iraq. He was married to my older second cousin and I don't think I ever met him, though it was a big deal when he got shipped over. From what I later heard, he came back completely fine (no injuries, no obvious signs of PTSD, and no diagnoses). Yet, before I ever even got a chance to meet this guy, the two ended up divorcing because they grew apart and I haven't heard anything about him or for that matter, even his wife who was my cousin, in several years. Now is my cousin's ex-husband superior to an injured veteran who has PTSD or lost a leg? Of course not. But is he physically and (at least from the internal family gossip) mentally stronger? Yes. That is a reality. He came out of the war in stronger and better shape than say, someone like me, who'd probably be outright killed if let loose on a battlefield.

You don't have to be "strong" to be a hero. You can be an American war hero without having to put on this false display of normality. Trump just happened to note that many people who are suffering from PTSD due to a terrible war, built around a lie created by the brother of one of Trump's Republican rivals and supported by then Senator Clinton, can't handle it. If they were handling the PTSD well, they wouldn't have been forced to commit suicide as their only escape now would they?

Again nice try, but you all are better off making another eleven threads about the taxes. At least there is some smoke there (not the raging brush fire of the Clinton emails, but whatever). Now you guys really are just looking for a scandal.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »

This isn't a scandal. He didn't disparage the soldiers or the veterans. Some people come back in stronger shape than others. Some see things that don't faze them. Others are shattered and permanently destroyed. I have-or had, better yet, one relative who went to Iraq. He was married to my older second cousin and I don't think I ever met him, though it was a big deal when he got shipped over. From what I later heard, he came back completely fine (no injuries, no obvious signs of PTSD, and no diagnoses). Yet, before I ever even got a chance to meet this guy, the two ended up divorcing because they grew apart and I haven't heard anything about him or for that matter, even his wife who was my cousin, in several years.

You don't have to be "strong" to be a hero. You can be an American war hero without having to put on this false display of normality. Trump just happened to note that many people who are suffering from PTSD due to a terrible war, built around a lie created by the brother of one of Trump's Republican rivals and supported by then Senator Clinton, can't handle it. If they were handling the PTSD well, they wouldn't have been forced to commit suicide as their only escape now would they?

Again nice try, but you all are better off making another eleven threads about the taxes. At least there is some smoke there (not the raging brush fire of the Clinton emails, but whatever). Now you guys really are just looking for a scandal.

I don't think anyone is saying that it's a scandal, as such.  But it's certainly a remark that could be off-putting to one of Trump's strongest constituencies, and as such it was ill-advised.  Of course, Trump saying ill-advised things isn't really news.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »

I sincerely hope you are one day very embarrassed by this incarnation of yourself, Sanchez. It's just really sad.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »

This isn't a scandal. He didn't disparage the soldiers or the veterans. Some people come back in stronger shape than others. Some see things that don't faze them. Others are shattered and permanently destroyed. I have-or had, better yet, one relative who went to Iraq. He was married to my older second cousin and I don't think I ever met him, though it was a big deal when he got shipped over. From what I later heard, he came back completely fine (no injuries, no obvious signs of PTSD, and no diagnoses). Yet, before I ever even got a chance to meet this guy, the two ended up divorcing because they grew apart and I haven't heard anything about him or for that matter, even his wife who was my cousin, in several years.

If you had to write this much, you are spinning on your wheels to defend Trump. Stifle yourself, please. (the word is phase, not faze. what is faze?)
Fargobison

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »

I never called this a massive scandal, he was wrong to say what he said. It is ok to say your favorite candidate is wrong, it won't cause him to lose the election.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »

This is the same guy that made fun of John McCain for being a PoW, so it's not surprising that he would think PTSD is about toughness.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2016, 12:54:34 PM by Mallow »

If you had to write this much, you are spinning on your wheels to defend Trump. Stifle yourself, please. (the word is phase, not faze. what is faze?)

The word is faze. Phase is a different word.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »

Excuse me. Considering it is Sanchez, I was sure he had made a mistake. I really don't care about phase or faze, because his post is still idiotic, so end of debate.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »

There is something really wrong with this man's brain.
Severe narcissism has made him into a sociopath nut-case clown.
Unbelievable !
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »

Does anyone remember when Trump had a chance to win the election?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »

I like it when people don't get captured, okay?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »

I sincerely hope you are one day very embarrassed by this incarnation of yourself, Sanchez. It's just really sad.
I should be embarrassed of my current Atlas incarnation lol?

Excuse me. Considering it is Sanchez, I was sure he had made a mistake. I really don't care about phase or faze, because his post is still idiotic, so end of debate.
Are you going to tell me why it was idiotic or are you going to insult me? Be care, Doctor, you don't want anymore death points do you?
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »

Yet more veterans and active-duty people continue to support him. Roll Eyes

This is my own personal opinion, but the main reason behind such strong military support for Trump is how much we've shrunk under President Obama and how little funding we have compared to when Bush was our Commander-in-Chief. Increasing the size of and funding for the military is one area that I agree with Trump on, and is the most important reason why most of my colleagues support him. But I would rather not get a pay increase during a Clinton presidency than to be thrust into World War III during a Trump presidency. Furthermore, Trump's insulting rhetoric against John McCain and prisoners of war, "the generals", how building great structures is a sacrifice comparable to the loss of a son or daughter in war, and now this latest comment are reasons why I don't believe he genuinely cares about our military. He calls our military a disaster, but that is just not true from my point of view. A Trump presidency would strain our relations with other countries and he would use us as a tool to bully the world. Hillary is more hawkish than she lets on, and I believe she would be tougher on foreign policy than Obama, but her command of the military would be smart and well-calculated. And Trump is only slightly more popular than Hillary in our community. A large percentage of the military vote will go to Johnson, believe me. I am a proud Clinton supporter and have the only Clinton/Kaine bumper sticker on my base, but one thing I've learned from political arguments with my colleagues is that Johnson is going to do very well among military members and Trump is going to lose a lot of the military vote, and that's a good thing.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

This is the problem with spouting word salad at every speech. He says idiotic stuff like this even he probably didn't mean to.

And words do matter when they come from a US president. Foreign office bureaucrats literally dissect every sentence of a policy speech to get more clues on direction of future foreign policy
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »

So he deliberately says something that will alienate one of his strongest support groups.  I'm starting to come around to the theory that he's trying to lose.

No. He just can't hide his contempt for them.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

What a dolt! Can't believe people support him!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »

What a dolt! Can't believe people support him!

Economic anxiety and trade you see.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies