Are you disappointed with Gary Johnson this cycle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:46:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Are you disappointed with Gary Johnson this cycle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you disappointed with Gary Johnson this cycle?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (L)

Yes (Other)

No (D)

No (R)

No (L)

No (Other)

I like turtles

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Author Topic: Are you disappointed with Gary Johnson this cycle?  (Read 2619 times)
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »

Are you disappointed with Gary Johnson this cycle? I'm disappointed mainly because I thought he would have prepared better as a candidate. His answers are disappointing, he seems surprised by even the most softball of questions. I'm not even criticizing him on his policies, but man, the guy feels like he stumbled into a classroom late only to realize he's in the wrong class.
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

I'm disappointed with people who support the guy
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »

No. I am very amused with Gary Johnson.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »

he stumbled into a classroom late only to realize he's in the wrong class.

haha.  that's about right.  I'll probably still vote for him.

Also I like turtles even more than I like Johnson, so that's how I voted in this poll. 
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »

he stumbled into a classroom late only to realize he's in the wrong class.

haha.  that's about right.  I'll probably still vote for him.

Also I like turtles even more than I like Johnson, so that's how I voted in this poll. 

I can appreciate you voting for turtles, I too am a fan of turtles.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »

He could've done better, but I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed in him. His gaffes have been rather minor compared to Trump's. I do like turtles though...
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »

No (L). I already knew he wasn't a fantastic debater and I'm not surprised that he couldn't think of a couple of things during interviews. If that's the extent of attacks people have on Johnson, then the drastically increased media attention compared to 2012 (when I also supported him) makes this campaign a success, at least compared to last time. It's also crazy to me that people find "he forgot a couple of things in interviews" is disqualifying for Johnson but don't consider "she compromised national security in order to maintain secrecy" or "he proposed literal war crimes" to be much more disqualifying.

Well, it's not over. I'll keep supporting Johnson through this and hoping he gets in the remaining debates. Even though he's not a great debater, getting in the debates would help get positive attention. Even if he did nothing but stick his tongue out the whole time (I'm sure I've heard somebody say this before).
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

Not really. Although, I might be, but am just distracted by the overwhelming amount of disappointment at the Republican Party.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »

Disappointed he couldn't pull more Republicans from the umpa loompa to help him lose more and slap the party awake.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »

No (L). I already knew he wasn't a fantastic debater and I'm not surprised that he couldn't think of a couple of things during interviews. If that's the extent of attacks people have on Johnson, then the drastically increased media attention compared to 2012 (when I also supported him) makes this campaign a success, at least compared to last time. It's also crazy to me that people find "he forgot a couple of things in interviews" is disqualifying for Johnson but don't consider "she compromised national security in order to maintain secrecy" or "he proposed literal war crimes" to be much more disqualifying.

Well, it's not over. I'll keep supporting Johnson through this and hoping he gets in the remaining debates. Even though he's not a great debater, getting in the debates would help get positive attention. Even if he did nothing but stick his tongue out the whole time (I'm sure I've heard somebody say this before).

This exactly.

I have no idea why so many people are so appalled by Johnson's flaws, but they let Clinton and Trump get away with far more. Hmmm...it's almost as if we put more value with the letter after their name than their policies, records, and character! But no, of course not...of course we're too smart to let that happen...

(I also like turtles.)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »

As a Democratic leaning independent, that is frequently sympathetic to 3rd Party candidates, I am disappointed that his apparent ignorance and gaffes on major foreign policy issues has undermined a Libertarian and Green critique of elective foreign policy adventures, that have in some instances caused major long-term consequences for the peace and security of the United States.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »

I can't be disappointed with someone I had such low expectations for in the first place. I do have to wonder how Weld feels playing second fiddle to an uniformed pothead.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

I will never vote Libertarian, but part of me is bummed out that America's 3rd parties were essentially given a once in a lifetime chance to get their foot in the door, and that chance was squandered on two kooky dumbasses in Johnson and Stein.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »

Yes, but really most of my disappointment comes from the inclusion of Bill Weld in the ticket. Of course I will still vote for him 100% but could he be a much better candidate? Absolutely.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »

Yes. I would only have considered voting for him against a Generic (R) who isn't Trump, but he screwed up royal. At least it's a good reminder third party candidates can suck even worse than the main two choices everyone likes to complain about.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »

No. I had no expectations to begin with.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

He's an ex-Republican running as a Libertarian. What in Christ's name is there to be disappointed about when you're starting from a premise like that?

(Other than Bill Weld, I mean.)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 06:05:55 PM »

Very disappointed. I stopped supporting him.
He has been awful at interviews, shows a lack of knowledge on anything dealing with foreign matters, and he seems to care more about emphasizing his social liberalism over his economic conservatism.

In a cycle with the two worst nominees in history a successful two term governor shoulf be fairing better but he keeps coming off like a socially awkward know nothing.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

No, he's been very entertaining.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »

The dude gargling bleach? That's me.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 06:37:35 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2016, 06:53:21 PM by whitesox130 »

Yes, for 2 reasons:

1. He had the opportunity to cast himself as a legitimate alternative to Trump for Republicans who don't want to vote for Hillary but can't stand Trump. He's arguably more Republican and definitely more experienced than Trump, and he scored a major coup getting Bill Weld on the ticket. This would easily have gained his party enough votes for it to qualify for federal money. It may have also won him Utah, and with it, the first six electoral votes ever to appear in the Libertarian column, if he had played his cards right, especially with Weld on board.

2. He had the chance of a lifetime: to bring libertarianism to be judged in the court of public opinion, legitimately, as a serious alternative to liberalism and conservatism. This would have likely gained his party over 5% as well but, more importantly, would have made the party about more than Gary Johnson and Bill Weld, giving it a chance to get more than 5% in future elections with different nominees as well.

The media gave Johnson PLENTY of opportunities to achieve either goal, if not both. CNN gave him town halls and hyped them up in commercials - more so, in my opinion, than they would have done for a Clinton or Trump town hall even. His events have been covered. He's done tons of interviews. But every time he gets any kind of significant press exposure, the guy folds like a chair.

You can't tell me he's really dumb enough to not know where Aleppo is or even the fact that it's a place (a "where", not a "what") or that he doesn't know the name of a single leader of another country. He falls apart under the slightest bit of pressure and loses it, just like the smartest person can go on Family Feud and have Steve Harvey ask, "Tell me a city with a lot of traffic" and say "California". And to tell you the truth, that's probably the way I'd react in a similar situation. But I am not running for president of the United States.

Also, Johnson never tried to position himself as a "real Republican" (for objective 1) or as a spokesperson for libertarianism (objective 2). Instead, he's trying to pick off Clinton voters for some obscure reason while mostly ignoring NeverTrump Republicans. Those voters, terrified of a Trump presidency, likely aren't going to be voting Johnson in significant numbers in November.

So, to sum it up, he's a terrible public speaker who has taken the Libertarian Party's golden opportunity for major-party status, made it even more plausible by adding Bill Weld, and then totally biffed it. So yeah, I'm disappointed.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »

whitesox sums up my feelings exactly.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »

Gary who?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »

I'm disappointed in the American public.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies