What is the biggest city you've never heard of? (EU Edition) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is the biggest city you've never heard of? (EU Edition) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the biggest city you've never heard of? (EU Edition)  (Read 1229 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:13 AM »

Dortmund, Essen, Krakow and Turin are all... er... surprising answers.

I was genuinely baffled I didn't know a German city apparently so large. I thought I had a pretty decent grip on German geography. I'm disappointed.

(I checked and the second I didn't know after Essen was Duisburg too. Weird.)

Both Duisburg and Essen are part of the Ruhr district, no one outside Germany knows the towns and cities of the Ruhr district, just as most non-French people don't know the names of Parisian suburbs. It also make this list pretty ridiculous, as it mention small areas of massive metropolitarian areas, which often don't have the same name as those smaller areas.

I as example live in a Copenhagen suburb, I can take my bicycle and in 20 minutes I could be in the centre of Copenhagen (as in at the city hall), I wouldn't cross one green area or even one area which wasn't a densely populated urban area. I'm not counted in the first list, neither are the urban enclave inside Copenhagen municipality (Frederiksberg) which are the 7th largest municipality in Denmark.

So the correct name for this threat "What is the biggest municipality you've never heard about".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies