Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:33:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?  (Read 3374 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 10:32:01 PM »

As someone who's become more vocally in favor of Hillary since the convention, I've noticed a lot more Hillary supporters "coming out", including many former Bernie supporters who never hated her but rather simply preferred Bernie.

But there are definitely many Hillary supporters who keep in to themselves, however like I said many are starting to be a bit more open about it.

Again, this is anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »

I found out tonight my elderly rural conservative Catholic mother-in-law is voting for Hillary. Probably the first Democrat she's voting for president since Johnson (if that).  My wife doesn't want us to. Bring it up when she visits soon, however, as we aren't supposed to know about it as it's a taboo subject around home in her conservative county.

FWIW.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 01:49:20 AM »

I do it's more likely to be shy Clinton than shy Trump.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 06:11:51 AM »

Again, this is anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anecdotal evidence is still evidence.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »

If the polls end up being "off", then I think it's far more likely to happen because the pollsters did a bad job of constructing their samples that because the poll respondents were untruthful about who they supported.

This is anecdotal, but I wonder sometimes about if it might represent something bigger in constructing samples:

My aunt lives in Virginia and is a devoutly religious person, and a fiercely loyal Republican. But she's not going to be able to bring herself to vote for Trump. Just can't do it. It seems to me likely that people like her, discouraged voters, not ones who have flipped to the other side, are likely to be underrepresented in surveys. I wonder if the demographic weightings have tended to overrepresent Trump support among evangelicals because the evangelicals who respond are those who aren't discouraged this year.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »

My mother is a Shy Clinton voter, in large part because she doesn't want to hear her husband bitch and moan. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »

The "shy Clinton vote" extends beyond middle-aged or elderly women: there are loads of shy Clinton supporters among millennials. There's a lot of vitriol that's immediately directed towards any millennial, particularly if they're among white men, for saying anything positive about Clinton so male millennials are inclined to keep their support for Clinton close to the vest. I learned about this inadvertently when I got into a public argument with a Trump supporter and a bunch of white engineering majors, out of the blue, started saying that they prefer Clinton to Trump.

Hillary Clinton is about as maligned as Osama Bin Laden in parts of the country so I'm not surprised that this phenomenon is real...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 10:18:48 AM »

The "shy Clinton vote" extends beyond middle-aged or elderly women: there are loads of shy Clinton supporters among millennials. There's a lot of vitriol that's immediately directed towards any millennial, particularly if they're among white men, for saying anything positive about Clinton so male millennials are inclined to keep their support for Clinton close to the vest. I learned about this inadvertently when I got into a public argument with a Trump supporter and a bunch of white engineering majors, out of the blue, started saying that they prefer Clinton to Trump.

Hillary Clinton is about as maligned as Osama Bin Laden in parts of the country so I'm not surprised that this phenomenon is real...

But you're talking about these people's unwillingness to acknowledge Clinton support in social settings.  We don't know if that translates to unwillingness to acknowledge it to pollsters.  I'm skeptical of the idea that we can infer a "shy X" effect for either candidate in the polls before the election.

For that matter, even after the election, if the polls are wrong, how do we determine if it's because people lied to pollsters or because the pollsters did a poor job of creating their samples?  Even if the pollsters get the topline demographic mix "right", there could still be hidden selection effects that prevented them from reaching the "right" kinds of Hispanics, or non-college whites or whatever.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

But you're talking about these people's unwillingness to acknowledge Clinton support in social settings.  We don't know if that translates to unwillingness to acknowledge it to pollsters.  I'm skeptical of the idea that we can infer a "shy X" effect for either candidate in the polls before the election.

For that matter, even after the election, if the polls are wrong, how do we determine if it's because people lied to pollsters or because the pollsters did a poor job of creating their samples?  Even if the pollsters get the topline demographic mix "right", there could still be hidden selection effects that prevented them from reaching the "right" kinds of Hispanics, or non-college whites or whatever.

This is spot on. I'm highly sceptical of the 'shy voter' effect - even in the '92 UK election it may have been pollster error rather than any social effect. Yet it has become conventional wisdom, without much evidence, that people didn't want to admit voting Tory. I don't think any 'shy voter' effect - even though there is some anecdotal evidence for it on this thread - would make much difference either to the polls or the final result.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 11:14:41 AM »

If such an effect exists, it's likely only in live-interview polls (where you are talking out loud to a human) rather than in robopolls or internet polling.  Obviously, the latter two have their fair share of even worse systematic issues, so it would be hard to disentangle regardless.

If there are such effects, it's again likely among married women, or among "Don't Know" voters who will ultimately vote Clinton on election day.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 11:33:15 AM »

If such an effect exists, it's likely only in live-interview polls (where you are talking out loud to a human) rather than in robopolls or internet polling.  Obviously, the latter two have their fair share of even worse systematic issues, so it would be hard to disentangle regardless.

Right.  People often suggest the "Shy X" theory whenever there's a discrepancy between live phone polls and robo-polls/internet polls.  The implication then is that we should believe the latter over the former, because people will lie to human beings but not to robots.  Except....there's no evidence that robo-polls and internet polls are more accurate than live phone polls.  If anything, the evidence runs in the other direction.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »

Many women are likely to vote for Clinton and tell their husbands that they voted for Trump just to keep some household peace.

Anti-feminist male against a feminist woman... 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 11:38:02 AM »

Should also note that the article linked in the OP doesn't say anything to indicate that there's a "Shy Clinton vote".  It's the opposite: The article says that there are educated women who won't tell their friends and families that they support Clinton.  And the evidence they use is.....polls.  That is, they're assuming that the polls are right, meaning that people are being truthful when they talk to pollsters.  But that they're not always being truthful when they talk to people in real life.
Wolves
Rookie
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 02:03:15 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 02:05:09 PM by Wolves »

my theories are coming true people! The shy Clinton vote may give us a truly beautiful landslide, folks!

It will not. There is no shy Clinton vote contary to popular belief. Ask anyone, Clinton voters will proudly say they are voting Clinton.

They just don't show interest in her as a person, they don't care, she's not someone who can motivate and inspire people, she's a bad leader

Her rally performance proves this, it doesnt correlate with her polls, her decent polls show people aren't scared to admit they're voting for her. She just isn't interesting. It's fact.
mencken
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like it was not the Clinton vote that was shy among college-educated white women.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »

Since we have had exit polls, Democrats have pretty consistently done better when the gender gap in the vote is smaller.  For some reason, it is easier for Republicans to win men in a blowout than vice versa. 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »

WHY! WHY COULDN'T THIS HAVE BEEN TRUE!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04