Major Hurricane Matthew On Path to Graze FL/SE US Coast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Major Hurricane Matthew On Path to Graze FL/SE US Coast
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major Hurricane Matthew On Path to Graze FL/SE US Coast  (Read 565 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/powerful-hurricane-matthew-to-unleash-life-threatening-flooding-haiti-cuba-bahamas/60475457

This could come to dominate the news in the coming days.  Right now the path is uncertain... but Matthew was expected to stay far enough from the coast not to have much impact other than waves.  In the past 24-36 hours, however, the models are moving the storm dangerously close to the coast.

This is bad because while it might only graze the east coast of Florida and Georgia, it remaining over the ocean will keep it from weakening much and the storm still has the potential to cut straight up into the Carolinas.

The storm is expected to be a category 3 hurricane as it reaches Florida, which would make it the first major hurricane (category 3 or higher) to affect the USA in 11 years (Wilma in 2005)... by far the longest period in recorded history without a major hurricane impact in the USA.

This is obviously a very scary prospect.  If it turns westward at all, Florida could really get it.  Already it has caused major damage in Haiti and will hit eastern Cuba and the Bahamas.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »

The latest run of the Euro which just finished pushed Matthew West and has it making landfall around Melbourne/Daytona and rolling up to Savannah.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:03:48 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 07:34:03 AM by Simfan34 »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:59 AM »

This probable near miss is still causing me and my fiancee some major hassles, moreso her than me. That's despite us living in the Midlands rather than the coast, but to evacuate the coast just in case it's needed, we have to be disrupted now in order to be ready for the evacuees in time.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

My kid is in Charleston and has to leave.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »

Classes have been canceled at USC as well, and the eastbound I26 lanes are being reversed later today.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »

Yeah, that crazy loop that both the GFS and ECMWF are showing is unreal.  I mean Betsy did something like that 60 years ago, but man....
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »

Classes cancelled in Gainesville on Friday. Hurricanes in Florida are all fun and games when its just a Cat 1 or something, but now....now I've got two different family groups evacuating, possibly to my house.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »

With the track now going back out to sea before it reaches NC, a Facebook friend of mine said this:

BREAKING:
Due to HB2, Hurricane Matthew has canceled its scheduled appearance in North Carolina.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »

What's really weird is that the long range forecast indicates that there is a good chance that Matthew may do a loop-de-loop and come back to the Bahamas and Florida a week after being there the first time.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »

What's really weird is that the long range forecast indicates that there is a good chance that Matthew may do a loop-de-loop and come back to the Bahamas and Florida a week after being there the first time.

The models are starting to agree on this, since the GFS (which I posted earlier) started showing a loop track two/three days ago:

The GFS ensemble now looks like this:

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »

I wonder if I'll have a house when I get back. They're calling for the storm to make landfall in Charleston now
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »

Now my Aunt and Uncle in Georgia are being evacuated. It didn't pack much of a punch in Palm Beach County, and CNN's predictions of chaos have fallen flat. The Hurricane last month that hit Tally caused more damage to the electrical grid than this one apparently did back home.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »

I wonder if I'll have a house when I get back. They're calling for the storm to make landfall in Charleston now

It's only a category 1 now.  If the house survived Hugo, it should survive this.  The only structural concern is likely to be storm surge.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies