I know I'm not American but .................
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:25:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  I know I'm not American but .................
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I know I'm not American but .................  (Read 3966 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:36:39 AM »
« edited: July 15, 2005, 09:08:14 AM by Democratic 'Hawk' »

If I ran for President (assuming I was a Senator or Governor of Georgia - my ancestral state), how do you think I'd do.

Some of you may be more aware of my views more than others

I consider myself a moderate Democrat (liberals might consider me conservative, however, and conservatives might consider me liberal)

Basically, I'm centre-left on economics and centre-right on social issues making me a bit populist and on foreign policy/defence I'm a hawk

If you have any questions on my views, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

I'll be back with a summary of where I stand

Dave
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 10:46:16 AM »

You've also been on a super Democratic streek and against almost all Republicans lately. If that changed you might win, if not you'd have a lot of trouble. Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:00:41 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 11:27:13 AM by Democratic 'Hawk' »

On these issues, I am...

Law and Order - Centre Right

I oppose death penality but support the rights of states to determine whether they want it or not and I support the three strikes mandatory sentencing

Economics - Centre Left

Economics: I'm a "new liberal" in the Keynesian tradition but not anti-business (see taxation), as well as being pro-labour unions. I support the national minimum wage

Environment - Centre Right

Green fields don't create jobs!

Ethnic Minority Rights - Centre

I'm broadly supportive of full civil rights for all citizens but I don't agree with positive discrimination (i.e. ethnic quotas in employment)

Gay & Womens Rights - Centre Left

I oppose same-sex marriages as sanctified by God but support civil unions. Same-sex couples to have the same rights as any other married couple

Foreign Policy - Centre Right

I'm a hawk and in the event of diplomacy failing would support redress without UN authorisation. The interests of the United States would not be compromised. What's good for the USA is good for the world!

Abortion - Centre Right

Personally, pro-life; however, I accept that their are occasions when abortion is necessary. So I support abortion as a matter of necessity and not a matter of choice

Drugs - Centre Left

I'm pretty much anti-drugs but accept that 'soft' drugs should be legalised for medical purposes and, possibly, decriminalised for recreational use

Taxation - Centre Left

I support progressive taxation and oppose flat rate - but I wouldn't tax punitively. Companies not outsourcing jobs and those paying above the minimum wage would be given incentives

Defence - Right

I don't favour reducing defence spending from existing levels and support the war in Iraq

I'm Episcopalian (Anglican) - probably closer to its evangelical (Low Church) tradition than to its Anglo-Catholic (High Church) tradition. My faith does inform my poltics and I embrace the Social Gospel (i.e. Christ's outreach to the poor) and the principle of social justice is very important to me

I support Christian prayer in public schools (though non-Christians and atheists and secularists can opt out)

Dave
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »

Red States = Safe Hawk.
Grey = Possible.
Blue = Forget about it.

Cashcow

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 11:12:28 AM »

Wow, I disagree with you on almost everything. But you still seem pretty moderate, so I think you could win fairly easily.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 12:07:05 PM »

You've also been on a super Democratic streek and against almost all Republicans lately. If that changed you might win, if not you'd have a lot of trouble. Smiley

Me, bash Republicans? I'm not exactly flattering towards liberal's either

Gotta admit I am a little Wink partisan though

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 12:12:06 PM »

Red States = Safe Hawk.
Grey = Possible.
Blue = Forget about it.

Not bad. I'm pleased you have me winning my 'home' state. If I went around in a battle bus throughout the South berating Smiley  the 'party of Abe Lincoln', would it help me down there Wink?

Dave
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 12:20:10 PM »

Heh, Dave, you're pretty much a moderate Republican like myself.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »

Red-Solid for you
Grey- Toss-up
Blue- Solid for Opponent

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 12:30:30 PM »

Heh, Dave, you're pretty much a moderate Republican like myself.

All being well, plenty of moderate Smiley Republicans would vote for me then Wink

Dave
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 12:42:26 PM »

Probably.  One of my big stumbling blocks when it comes to Democrats is their stance on abortion, if the Democrats nominated a right to life guy, a lot of the center would jump ship to the DNC, methink.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 04:17:18 PM »

either Georgia or Arkansas would be your best bet for a southern state since they're a bit less Republican than others.  Also being a populist would help you regionally if you're running in the south.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »

Wow, I disagree with you on almost everything.

If you got the nomination, which I would see as strange for the Democratic Party to nominate basically a liberal Republican, I believe that you would win, simply because you are in essence fairly Republican. =p
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 05:24:39 PM »

Probably.  One of my big stumbling blocks when it comes to Democrats is their stance on abortion, if the Democrats nominated a right to life guy, a lot of the center would jump ship to the DNC, methink.
My thinking as well.  Are you a populist, Mr. Hobbes?
Cashcow

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »

Wow, I disagree with you on almost everything.

If you got the nomination, which I would see as strange for the Democratic Party to nominate basically a liberal Republican, I believe that you would win, simply because you are in essence fairly Republican. =p

The Democratic Party would never allow the two front-runners to be economic conservatives. Unless I ran against Dave as a Democrat, which would just be confusing...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 08:16:03 PM »

The predictions here are within the bounds of reason. Why is Georgia safe hawk?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 09:09:31 PM »

The predictions here are within the bounds of reason. Why is Georgia safe hawk?
Because when the Democratic Party nominates a populist, the South lines up for it.  Plus it's his home state.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »

Hmmm..I'm somewhat of a populist.  I consider myself label-wise as a "progressive conservative" or a Christian Democrat.
jacob_101

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 09:49:30 PM »

Dave, you would win in a landslide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 09:51:55 PM »

If he supports the Iraq war, he'd get destroyed on the left.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 09:57:29 PM »

So what.  A few hundred thousand votes goes to the greens in solid dem states.  I don't see that doing much damage.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »

Dave would probably win, but Georgia would hardly be safe.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 08:07:30 AM »

So what.  A few hundred thousand votes goes to the greens in solid dem states.  I don't see that doing much damage.

Jfern is right, I'd lose some 'dovish' votes on the left - but I'll be targeting my campaign at the mainstream and would probably garner greater support from moderates, as well as a significant plurality of Republicans and conservatives than more 'bona fide' liberal candidates. I've made no secret of the fact I feel that the Democratic Party's biggest mistake was the abandonment of a Trumanite foreign/defence policy

My campaign message would be a fine blend of economic liberalism (based on social justice) and social populism. What support I'd lose from liberal doves, I'd hope to counter by gaining support from more conservative Democrats, who've been trending GOP. 11% of registered Democrats voted for GWB and frankly, they were enough to give him the victory

Rest assured yours truly would take on the Left and win Wink. The Democratic Party must confront its dovish base

While, I'm on, were I elected president, in the event of a Supreme vacancy, I'll be minded to either keep the status quo (as a liberal retires, a liberal is appointed, etc) or I'd seek to weed out the ideologues (liberal and conservative). America needs consensual stability on the Supreme Court

On foreign policy, I'd aggessively push for a pro-active United Nations, with America and her allies at the helm because in additional to being the US president, I'd take my role as 'the' global leader very seriously ; however, American interests would never be compromised and if, it was necessary to act without a UN mandate, I would

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2005, 12:02:18 PM »

Red-Solid for you
Grey- Toss-up
Blue- Solid for Opponent

I'm glad to see you consider me competitive in the South as I clearly would hope to be - even if I only won a couple of states

Dave
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2005, 04:19:27 PM »

Jfern is right, I'd lose some 'dovish' votes on the left - but I'll be targeting my campaign at the mainstream and would probably garner greater support from moderates, as well as a significant plurality of Republicans and conservatives than more 'bona fide' liberal candidates. I've made no secret of the fact I feel that the Democratic Party's biggest mistake was the abandonment of a Trumanite foreign/defence policy

My campaign message would be a fine blend of economic liberalism (based on social justice) and social populism. What support I'd lose from liberal doves, I'd hope to counter by gaining support from more conservative Democrats, who've been trending GOP. 11% of registered Democrats voted for GWB and frankly, they were enough to give him the victory

Rest assured yours truly would take on the Left and win Wink. The Democratic Party must confront its dovish base

While, I'm on, were I elected president, in the event of a Supreme vacancy, I'll be minded to either keep the status quo (as a liberal retires, a liberal is appointed, etc) or I'd seek to weed out the ideologues (liberal and conservative). America needs consensual stability on the Supreme Court

On foreign policy, I'd aggessively push for a pro-active United Nations, with America and her allies at the helm because in additional to being the US president, I'd take my role as 'the' global leader very seriously ; however, American interests would never be compromised and if, it was necessary to act without a UN mandate, I would

Dave

You'd win my vote, for what that's worth. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies