Opinion of Aaron Burr
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:15:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Aaron Burr
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Opinion of Aaron Burr  (Read 1959 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:21:47 PM »

An American hero.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »

FF for saving us from Hamilton.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »

An abolitionist, feminist, and champion of the rights of immigrants and the poor? Solid FF, and that's not even taking into account that he brought Hamilton to justice!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »

Murderer of a true patriot. HP.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »

Talk less, smile more!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »

The only good thing he did was kill Hamilton, a known ambitious monarchist.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »

Traitor.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

A traitor who tried to steal a presidential election. I don't like Hamilton but not to the point of wanting him to die, so that's not a plus for him either.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

tried to steal a presidential election.
Huh
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 05:10:56 AM »

PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »

HP. Killed Hamilton, tried to snake a presidential election, and take Louisiana away from the US for personal gain. Total bum
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »

Not that Hamilton was a saint either, but yeah, Burr's a definite piece of used bumwipe.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »

HP. Killed Hamilton, tried to snake a presidential election, and take Louisiana away from the US for personal gain. Total bum
Anyone want to clue me in on what this is referring to?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »

I like Hamilton but Burr was against slavery so that kind of trumps all other issues.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »

I like Hamilton but Burr was against slavery so that kind of trumps all other issues.

So was Hamilton, and Burr murdered him!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:54:02 AM »

I assume you're familiar with the way the electoral college worked prior to the 12th amendment? The voters who backed the Republican ticket in 1800 intended for Jefferson to become president and Burr to become vice president. The plan was for the Republican electors to support Jefferson and Burr equally; Burr would then step aside and allow Jefferson to become president. When push came to shove, however, Burr instead chose to remain in the race in hopes that Congressional Federalists would elect him instead. Had he succeeded, it would have been in spite of the will of the voters, who clearly had intended to elect Jefferson.

Technically, Burr's actions were in keeping with the Constitution, but they were certainly not in keeping with the way he had represented his candidacy to the people who voted for him. It would be as if the Democratic electors had all voted for Dick Cheney in 2008; technically legal, but hardly honest.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 01:11:52 AM »

I assume you're familiar with the way the electoral college worked prior to the 12th amendment? The voters who backed the Republican ticket in 1800 intended for Jefferson to become president and Burr to become vice president. The plan was for the Republican electors to support Jefferson and Burr equally; Burr would then step aside and allow Jefferson to become president. When push came to shove, however, Burr instead chose to remain in the race in hopes that Congressional Federalists would elect him instead. Had he succeeded, it would have been in spite of the will of the voters, who clearly had intended to elect Jefferson.

Technically, Burr's actions were in keeping with the Constitution, but they were certainly not in keeping with the way he had represented his candidacy to the people who voted for him. It would be as if the Democratic electors had all voted for Dick Cheney in 2008; technically legal, but hardly honest.

I still don't understand how the pre-Twelfth EC worked very well, myself.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 03:29:40 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »

IIRC, each Elector cast two votes. The most voted candidate (assuming they won a majority) became President, and the runner-up (assuming a majority again) Vice-President.

That wasn't very well thought out.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

IIRC, each Elector cast two votes. The most voted candidate (assuming they won a majority) became President, and the runner-up (assuming a majority again) Vice-President.

That wasn't very well thought out.

Oh, I get the voting system, it's the baroque political jockeying that surrounded it that confuses me.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 09:12:14 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2016, 09:15:56 AM by 🦀🎂 »

don't really understand why are people are saying he murdered Hamilton. They were in a duel after all?

Hamilton did fire his weapon intentionally, and he fired first. But he aimed to miss Burr, sending his ball into the tree above and behind Burr's location. In so doing, he did not withhold his shot, but he did waste it, thereby honoring his pre-duel pledge. Meanwhile, Burr, who did not know about the pledge, did know that a projectile from Hamilton's gun had whizzed past him and crashed into the tree to his rear. According to the principles of the code duello, Burr was perfectly justified in taking deadly aim at Hamilton and firing to kill.
But did he? What is possible, but beyond the reach of the available evidence, is that Burr really missed his target, too, that his own fatal shot, in fact, was accidental

hamilto shot first, burr was fully justified in shooting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »

Just like Greedo! Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »