Who won the VP debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the VP debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: -skip-
Kaine

Pence

Draw

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 227

Author Topic: Who won the VP debate?  (Read 7263 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »

Clinton, but it might not make a difference. 

Pence, and considering both presidential nominees are old, it might make a difference. 

You are not very good at this, are you?

JJ's hackery is well known here.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »

My Facebook feed seems to be very happy with Pence tonight.  The defense of his pro-life position seems to be what my friends are talking about most from scrolling through.  A few are saying that they wish Pence was on the top of the ticket.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »

My Facebook feed seems to be very happy with Pence tonight.  The defense of his pro-life position seems to be what my friends are talking about most from scrolling through.  A few are saying that they wish Pence was on the top of the ticket.

And that's exactly your problem right now. Why would your base be loyal to someone who is insane enough to destroy the world when you have a potential candidate in 2020 who can be President and aligns far more with Republican orthodoxy?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »

i enjoy reading the twitter feed of "national review" during debates.

gives me a good understanding what the "other" site thinks .....

trump's performance was no one's idea of success......mister pence, on the other hand, they loved.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2016, 11:04:06 PM »

I didn't watch the debate and I'm not watching the ones between Hillary and Trump either, but I wanted to say that something is wrong with Pence's eyes. He has "lyin' eyes" and I've felt that from the first time I saw him. He is hiding something behind that squint of his and based on that alone I could never vote for the man for anything.

Someone else who had the same type of "lyin' eyes" was Donald Rumsfeld. I wouldn't trust either of these men as far as I could throw them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »

in terms of actually changing votes, basically a tie.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »

Pence, and considering both presidential nominees are old, it might make a difference. 

I don't think I realized J.J. was still here.

Is supersoulty still around?
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »

Yes, I'm very familiar with it, it was mostly a rethorical question Grin
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »

I continue to think Kaine will win in post, thanks in no small part to the fact that Trump is so insecure that his unhappiness with Pence's good performance will become clear.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »

Pence never really defended Trump from Kaine's most damning attacks and fell back on the "he never said that" defense to things that everyone knows Trump did say at this point. But (in large part due to Trump's first debate performance being the frame of reference) came off as very calm and composed with Kaine's constant attacks (dare I say slightly presidential?). Kaine also interrupted a bit too much, I'm fine with some crosstalk, but he was genuinely disruptive at a few points. Not as bad as Trump of course, but that's a separate issue.

Both campaigns probably feel pleased with the abortion exchange at the end. Pence used it to show off his pro-life credentials to try and win over some NeverTrump conservatives, while Kaine did the same with being pro-choice to impress millennials and maybe some middle class women who generally vote Republican but may cross over to Clinton this time.

I voted draw. If you forced me to pick a winner, I guess I'd say Pence. Won't have an effect either way. 
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »

Draw
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:52 AM »

Pence won on points, but not enough to rescue Trump. He showed that he was his own person, but a boilerplate ideologue more than a full-blown fascist. He could not defend Trump's outrageous statements.

It's like a baseball game in which one team has gone up 10-0 in the fourth inning, and the team behind gets a bunt single and a home run, and then hits two more singles but does no further damage in the fifth inning. Probably too little too late.   
psychprofessor

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

it's funny how the republican party is supposed to be so anti-establishment and anti-elite but when push comes to shove they love the BS that pence was shoveling more than trump...i don't see how pence could "win" this debate when he literally couldn't defend any of the comments trump has made over the last year. i was waiting for kaine to ask "governor, have you actually met your running mate yet?"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »

If I get it right this debate was a bit like 1988 when Bentsen was much better on points but Quayle did a better job of trashing the Democratic nominee.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »

Pence without a doubt, despite the already starting spin zone. Focus groups and early reporting all show that Kaine basically shot himself with his over aggressiveness, and that's what is going to stick.
psychprofessor

« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2016, 12:37:50 AM »

Pence without a doubt, despite the already starting spin zone. Focus groups and early reporting all show that Kaine basically shot himself with his over aggressiveness, and that's what is going to stick.

but people aren't voting for pence or kaine...this is trump v clinton. when confronted with every insult trump has made, pence either lied, stated it was inaccurate or failed to defend. how do you win a debate when you run as far away from the top of the ticket as possible?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2016, 12:40:48 AM »

but people aren't voting for pence or kaine...this is trump v clinton. when confronted with every insult trump has made, pence either lied, stated it was inaccurate or failed to defend. how do you win a debate when you run as far away from the top of the ticket as possible?

Yes.  The biggest thing that's "going to stick" is that Pence had multiple opportunities to defend Donald Trump.  He didn't.
psychprofessor

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2016, 12:43:02 AM »

Yes.  The biggest thing that's "going to stick" is that Pence had multiple opportunities to defend Donald Trump.  He didn't.

I mean, for the next few days, all Clinton has to say is "even Mike Pence can't defend what Donald Trump has stated..." Or "how can Mike Pence expect you to vote for him when even he can't defend his standard bearer's own policies?"
psychprofessor

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2016, 12:45:42 AM »

Mike Gehrke ‏@mikegehrke  3h3 hours ago Arlington, VA
Second debate in a row where Trump can complain of a Mike that wasn't working for him.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2016, 02:05:38 AM »

Mike Pence won (although not in any sort of overwhelming fashion), mainly on style, and especially in the first half; he came off seeming much more presidential, calm, and leader-like than Kaine. However, Pence's refusal to do more than the bare minimum to defend Trump means that by no means was Trump the winner or helped even remotely here.
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2016, 03:28:26 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 03:36:00 AM by Dumbo »

winner:Pence Clinton
looser: Kaine Trump
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2016, 05:39:24 AM »

Mike Gehrke ‏@mikegehrke  3h3 hours ago Arlington, VA
Second debate in a row where Trump can complain of a Mike that wasn't working for him.

lolz

Pence is in it for himself, much like his running mate.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2016, 05:39:44 AM »

Tim Kaine won & pretty easily. I don't like many views, he is way too moderate but he is so much more qualified & better prepared than Clinton it is not even a comparison. He hammered Pence on every issue from Putin to Deportation Force to Racism to the Indiana Judge & so on.

The good part is he kept at it time n again 2-3 times atleast. The Iran deal was the best - Clinton is a lousy debater apart from personal attacks but Kaine killed Pence in the Iran deal with the Nuclear situation, sanctions, Israel comments n so on. Bin Laden was a huge victory for Kaine as well, he brought it up 2-3 times as a major success. The Reagan quote pained Trump as a madman & throughout the debate Kaine brought 1 after the other Trump quote from Deportation to Punishment on Women for Abortion to his sexist comments, attack on McCain n so on. And I liked that Kaine persisted on it - Atleast 3-4 times, he came back twice & hit on every issue.

I don't like Kaine & he is way too moderate. Pence is a fantastic debater who doesn't answer any question, loses on all issues but finds some way too attack the other. Pence's delivery & tone were spot on.

Kaine was weak on passion, loudness, pitch - He has no charisma whatsoever.

But I liked him way more than Clinton. I thought he was better than Clinton did in the debate!
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2016, 06:08:26 AM »

Haven't watched any of it yet, but sounds like Pence won on style while Kaine won on substance. I call that a draw.

It's difficult to see how a VP debate can improve the standing of the candidate at the top of the ticket, but it can in theory make it worse - yet even this never seems to happen (think Palin, for example).
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »

Why is everyone saying Kaine won on substance? Interrupting Pence in the middle of a foreign policy answer and asking why Trump didn't pay his taxes is not substance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies