Who won the VP debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won the VP debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: -skip-
Kaine

Pence

Draw

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 227

Author Topic: Who won the VP debate?  (Read 7301 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2016, 07:19:26 AM »

Why is everyone saying Kaine won on substance? Interrupting Pence in the middle of a foreign policy answer and asking why Trump didn't pay his taxes is not substance.

Everything else, his answers were far more considered, thoughtful and accurate.
HillOfANight
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2016, 08:15:35 AM »

At first, I thought Pence just because of style (Kaine's overbearing interruptions). I knew Pence was lying but thought the audience would fall for it...

Yet a lot of people won't watch it and are going to rely on the media's impressions.

The headlines now are all about Pence not defending Trump and lying about his own stances.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »

Pence clearly won, but nothing happened IMO to change the picture of the election. Sunday night is the one that will count big time.
Fargobison

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »

Pence won but Trump may have lost.

He did good job defending himself but a terrible job sticking up for Trump and at times seemed to argue for policies that Donnie doesn't exactly subscribe to.  Trump is probably going to have a meltdown today watching the endless barrage of media clips of Pence not even trying to defend him.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »

Where do people get this ridiculous idea that Pence won? I'm not a Kaine guy, but if I knew nothing about the candidates beforehand, I'd say Kaine ran away with it.

This is like the Obama/Romney debate when everyone insisted Romney won even though he just wanted to talk about Big Bird and 'Sesame Street' the whole time.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »

Trump to Pence: "You're fired!"
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 10:01:41 AM by ApatheticAustrian »

pence has won if a non-academic debate is about making a better impression about your own temperament.

and if there would be strict rules kaine would have lost cause of the interrupting...even while pence hasn't answered many questions so it would be even.

without validating any of their ideological points, pence seemed calmer ...like he should after years as a talk-radio host.

doesn't mean anything in the bigger picture but it went down as bad as i feared.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »

Why do they have these VP debates anyway? Who votes for a VP?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »

Obviously Pence won the debate.

Kaine was acting like a kid in a school yard always trying to yell louder than anybody else to get attention, making a fool of himself in the process.

Pence was cool, calm, and collected.

Pence was presidential.

Kaine was childish.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »

Obviously Pence won the debate.

Kaine was acting like a kid in a school yard always trying to yell louder than anybody else to get attention, making a fool of himself in the process.

Pence was cool, calm, and collected.

Pence was presidential.

Kaine was childish.

Gotta ask you, does substance mean anything to you, or just the superficial stuff?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »

pence won but since he wasn't able to answer even the most simple questions about his own ticket, he wasn't very convincing.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »

Where do people get this ridiculous idea that Pence won? I'm not a Kaine guy, but if I knew nothing about the candidates beforehand, I'd say Kaine ran away with it.

This is like the Obama/Romney debate when everyone insisted Romney won even though he just wanted to talk about Big Bird and 'Sesame Street' the whole time.
Pence came across as well-prepared, honest, and well-spoken, while Kaine was very rude and interrupted every 2 or 3 minutes.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »

Pence came across as well-prepared, honest, and well-spoken, while Kaine was very rude and interrupted every 2 or 3 minutes.

Pence lost the moment he complained about how rough Donald Trump had it in 1995.

Pence and Trump don't know what it's like to have it rough.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »

According to the debate coach, Tim Kaine won the debate.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/05/opinions/debate-coach-pence-kaine-graham-opinion/index.html
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »

Are you seriously trying to argue that Obama won the first 2012 debate? There isn't even a word to describe how wrong that is.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »

Pence for sure
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »

I think among uneducated ordinary people, Pence would win because of style. But the truth is Pence had a horrible night substance wise, he lied n lied n lied, another career politician n extremist republican completely out of touch with the reality.

Pence didn't answer a single question of Trump, Kaine destroyed Trump & Pence just ignored every little thing. I mean if you get points for not responding or answering questions, probably Pence. There is not 1 Single Topic I can remember where Pence won, he lost one every issue out there!

Probably people just don't care about any substance or truth out there. I also think Pence is even more dangerous than Trump with his extremist ultra tea party views, this is the same guy who is a champion of every bad trade deal n supported the war in Iraq. If only if we didn't have Clinton, we could have hammered the guy on his record.

I think all Republicans & conservatives have jumped to the defense of Pence, he probably brings something to the base, but these kind of extremist candidates like Ted Cruz or Mike Pence will destroy the government if they come to power!
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »

Pence lost the moment he complained about how rough Donald Trump had it in 1995.

Pence and Trump don't know what it's like to have it rough.

But Clinton knows what it means right, when she and Bill were "dead broke", give me a break. Pence was stating that Trump lost nearly a billion dollars and that was why he had the exemption for 18 years. He obviously didn't mean Trump was suffering or poor or anything like that, not everything is literal.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »

I didn't watch it, so I don't know or care who won, but Pence's "whipping out that Mexican thing" seems to have grabbed the attention of people I interact with IRL.  And of course, it's not about the issue or even the rudeness of calling Mexicans "things", it's about the novelty of taking the phrase out of context.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »

Are you seriously trying to argue that Obama won the first 2012 debate?

Yes. He did. He very clearly did.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »

Kaine did a better job of attacking Trump than Pence did of attacking Clinton.

Pence was also frothing at the mouth when it came to abortion.  Pretty disturbing stuff.  Otherwise he maintained a very calm demeanor as he attempted to gaslight the American public.

What's disturbing is the way that showing the tiniest bit of emotion when it comes to defending the lives of the unborn gets called "frothing at the mouth" by abortion enthusiasts.

Pence won the debate, setting himself up for a 2020 run. Trump lost by looking so bad in comparison to his running mate.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »

Are you seriously trying to argue that Obama won the first 2012 debate?

Yes. He did. He very clearly did.

I guess that explains Obama's bump in the polls following the debate...oh wait
Monolith
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.82, S: -2.31

« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »

The Clinton camp doesn't seem to be taking the race all too seriously. They've been resorting to laughing and treating their opponents like jokes during the debates in an attempt to discredit them.

What they need to be doing is treat the Trump campaign like a serious threat and a danger to america and american values, not like some bumbling clown. I think we saw last night how it doesn't work, especially against someone as composed and in control as Pence.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »

Hillary won the VP debate by not even being the one at the stage. No one has her composure, keeps her points clear and attacks with style.

She also actually answers the questions unlike Trump, Kaine, or Pence. The three of them all dance around and trample on the moderators.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

Pence by a mile. The most cringeworthy moment for me of was Kaine interrupting Pence (for the 1000th time) while he was recounting his experience on 9/11 to say "I was in Virginia!". Wtf? It was almost like Kaine was doing a Joe Biden impression that was every bit as awful as his Trump impression.

Thank god nobody cares about VP debates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies