National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:23:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41  (Read 3349 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »

August 10 - September 29, 11 different languages

If those Vietnamese numbers are accurate, watch out Orange County, CA!

Source
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

The anti-immigration rhetoric doesn't just affect the Hispanics, they affect the Asians too.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »

asian have been trending dem any way and trump just accelerates the speed....

wonder about the turnout.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »

Guess which "swing" state has the highest percentage of Asian Americans. Wink
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »

Korean-Americans are a real surprise... they used to vote about as R as Cuban-Americans before. It could be that Donald Trump scares them on foreign policy.

...All of these groups, however dissimilar they are by culture, share a common respect for learning. Anti-intellectualism such as Donald trump shows frequently offends them. See also middle-class blacks and Hispanics.     
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »

Korean-Americans are a real surprise... they used to vote about as R as Cuban-Americans before. It could be that Donald Trump scares them on foreign policy.

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »

Thank you Koreans!
uti2

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.

The Asian trend of voting Dem, has nothing to do with Trump. They don't vote for the GOP for religious reasons, as the GOP caters to christian fundamentalists, it's the same exact dynamic with Jews:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2012/11/religion-determines-politics-for-asian-americans/

A lot of the new asian immigrants are non-christians/buddhists/atheists, etc. whereas before they were mostly christians. The younger generation of asians are also much less religious than their parents.

The GOP will never win them as long as they pander to the christian fundamentalists.

Affirmative Action doesn't work with Jews either, as that matters a lot less when the party goes out of its way to emphasize christianity and slam non-christians vs. the big-tent democratic approach to all faiths.
uti2

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »

Hammering AA as a republican strategy would actually be counterproductive, it would cause more hispanic/black hatred towards republicans, while the non-christian asians wouldn't vote for the party of christian identity no matter what.

In retrospect, George W. Bush winning in 2000 and polarizing the electorate with social and religious issues probably did the most long-term damage to GOP hopes of gaining the asian and jewish vote.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:38 AM »

Do the Indian numbers surprise anyone else?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.

trumps rhetoric on nuclear capability in Korea (and that entire region), and the scare that "other countries need to do their own thing with defense," etc, scares the Korean people there and here.
(South) Koreans don't like military, war, North Korean threats, etc, but they know they must have a strong military to protect themselves, and they enjoy the fact that we support them.
All of this adds up to them rejecting trump wholeheartedly.
uti2

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »

trumps rhetoric on nuclear capability in Korea (and that entire region), and the scare that "other countries need to do their own thing with defense," etc, scares the Korean people there and here.
(South) Koreans don't like military, war, North Korean threats, etc, but they know they must have a strong military to protect themselves, and they enjoy the fact that we support them.
All of this adds up to them rejecting trump wholeheartedly.

The numbers are in line with Obama's performances in '08 and '12, and remember Mccain ran on an amnesty platform in '08.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »

A lot of them are Indian immigrants who stayed here illegally after their visa's ended. I imagine they're very worried about Trump. Considering that almost all of them are educated professionals and benefit society more than Trumpers, let them stay.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

Not me.  I always understood the Indians as pretty much the most pro-Dems Asian group. As pointed out before the main issue here is Indians are the least likely to be evangelical Christians.  Koreans I always viewed as the most pro-GOP Asian group for the same reason (large number of evangelical Christians).  I agree generational changes where Koreans become less evangelical Christians would shift the Korean vote toward Dems over time.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »

Is there any swing state where this will matter?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

Is there any swing state where this will matter?

Maybe VA if VA was more competitive.  I grew up in MD and I know there are significant number of Asians in NOVA.  This year, if the polls are to be believed for VA, most likely will not make difference.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 12:37:47 PM by Likely Voter »

here is map of where the Asians are...

The battlegrounds where they are largest are NV, VA and CO. Bear in mind that Asians have the lowest level of voting so while they are 9% of the population in NV, they were 5% of the vote in 2012. And in VA and CO they were 3% of the vote. 

But zooming out, there was some talk after 2014 that maybe Asians were swinging back to the GOP but it seems that this group isn't so along with AAs and Latinos, Clinton seems set to get very close to Obama's numbers with non-whites. How they turnout is still a question, but Trump's hopes remain set entirely on making gains with whites (especially non-college) both in terms of share and turnout.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »

...All of these groups, however dissimilar they are by culture, share a common respect for learning. Anti-intellectualism such as Donald trump shows frequently offends them. See also middle-class blacks and Hispanics.     

I'm Korean and yes, you are correct. Koreans culturally value humility and look for someone dependable and intelligent that they can see as an ally. Koreans have many illegal immigrants that overstayed their visas. Building a wall doesn't resonate with their values.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »

Asians will matter quite a bit in quite a few House districts.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »

I'm Korean and yes, you are correct. Koreans culturally value humility and look for someone dependable and intelligent that they can see as an ally. Koreans have many illegal immigrants that overstayed their visas. Building a wall doesn't resonate with their values.
I never understood the big thing about building a wall. People would likely go over the wall like they go over the fences right now on the US/Mexico border!
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »

Hammering AA as a republican strategy would actually be counterproductive, it would cause more hispanic/black hatred towards republicans, while the non-christian asians wouldn't vote for the party of christian identity no matter what.

In retrospect, George W. Bush winning in 2000 and polarizing the electorate with social and religious issues probably did the most long-term damage to GOP hopes of gaining the asian and jewish vote.
George W. Bush-Nah his running on social and religious issues has nothing to do with the GOP's current problems in Presidential Elections.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.

The Asian trend of voting Dem, has nothing to do with Trump. They don't vote for the GOP for religious reasons, as the GOP caters to christian fundamentalists,

Koreans are heavily evangelical Christian. Alas, we are not seeing them being particularly pro-Republican this time.
uti2

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »

The Asian trend of voting Dem, has nothing to do with Trump. They don't vote for the GOP for religious reasons, as the GOP caters to christian fundamentalists,

Koreans are heavily evangelical Christian. Alas, we are not seeing them being particularly pro-Republican this time.

As I explained, that trend began earlier, they had similar levels of support for Obama, and there are generational differences + new immigrants.

George W. Bush-Nah his running on social and religious issues has nothing to do with the GOP's current problems in Presidential Elections.

George W. Bush polarized the modern electoral map killing off the secular northern states that had traditionally backed republicans before, for instance. He knowingly did this to maximize evangelical turnout in the south, and block dems out of the south, hence Gore losing TN, MO, WV, etc.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

Freedom numbers from my demographic
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length