National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: National Asian American Survey: Clinton +41  (Read 3346 times)
dspNY
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »

This # matters in Nevada and will give Clinton another 1% in cushion
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »

Korean-Americans are a real surprise... they used to vote about as R as Cuban-Americans before. It could be that Donald Trump scares them on foreign policy.

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.

The Asian trend of voting Dem, has nothing to do with Trump. They don't vote for the GOP for religious reasons, as the GOP caters to christian fundamentalists,

Koreans are heavily evangelical Christian. Alas, we are not seeing them being particularly pro-Republican this time.
+ new immigrants.

It so happens, that Koreans in Korea also have a large proportion of evangelical Christians. It goes far beyond religion.
uti2

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »

Korean-Americans are a real surprise... they used to vote about as R as Cuban-Americans before. It could be that Donald Trump scares them on foreign policy.

This is the part that surprises me as well.  It is very surprising to see Koreans more the the Left of Japanese.

One way the GOP should do to go after the Asian Am vote, especially for Chinese Indians Japanese and Koreans, is to go after affirmative action.  This is already sort of taking place in CA where the Asian Am Dems was able to block a proposal to re-introduce affirmative action by UMR bloc of the CA Dems. Of course as much as I am voting for Trump I admit that Trump would not be the messenger for such a push and we will have to wait for a future GOP candidate to take advantage of this wedge issue.

The Asian trend of voting Dem, has nothing to do with Trump. They don't vote for the GOP for religious reasons, as the GOP caters to christian fundamentalists,

Koreans are heavily evangelical Christian. Alas, we are not seeing them being particularly pro-Republican this time.
+ new immigrants.

It so happens, that Koreans in Korea also have a large proportion of evangelical Christians. It goes far beyond religion.

South Korea is about as religious as a post-christian western european country overall. Around 50% of its population is officially irreligious. It has around 1/4th christians (Which includes both protestants and cathollcs). The types of Korean immigrants and Asian immigrants who came to the US before were almost exclusively christians, the newer immigrants represent the broader demographic of asians.

Christianity peaked out in S. Korea a couple of decades ago and stagnated.
uti2

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »

+ new immigrants.

I know you want to group hispanics and asians together, but the reality is that asians did vote more republican back in the 80s/90s on socio-economic grounds, while hispanics were consistently pro-dem, even when bill clinton campaigned against illegal immigration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXbG5gvoC0

Reagan and W. in 2000 both got 35% of the Hispanic vote.

Hispanic voting patterns are closer to African-American voting patterns than to Asian-American voting patterns overall, closer socio-economic levels. Asian-American voting patterns are similar to college educated whites and for non-christian asians, especially similar to Jews. Different groups, different issues.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 02:53:52 PM »

+ new immigrants.

I know you want to group hispanics and asians together,

No, not at all.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »

+ new immigrants.

South Korea is about as religious as a post-christian western european country overall. Around 50% of its population is officially irreligious. It has around 1/4th christians (Which includes both protestants and cathollcs). The types of Korean immigrants and Asian immigrants who came to the US before were almost exclusively christians, the newer immigrants represent the broader demographic of asians.

Additionally, many Koreans are "Christians" on paper but they're not all that religious. Significant % of them were converted after immigrating.

Religion doesn't influence our decisions much when voting for president. The last thing on our mind when voting is about abortion or gay marriage. Foreign policy, immigration and education are what primarily determine our votes.
uti2

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:31 PM »

+ new immigrants.

Additionally, many Koreans are "Christians" on paper but they're not all that religious. Significant % of them were converted after immigrating.

Religion doesn't influence our decisions much when voting for president. The last thing on our mind when voting is about abortion or gay marriage. Foreign policy, immigration and education are what primarily determine our votes.

The GOP discredited itself on Foreign policy under Bush from the perspective of many minorities who are  generally not interested in nation-building, etc. Yet the GOP candidates explicitly ran on a platform of bringing those Bush-era policies back. That's the definition of tone-deaf.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/clinton-holds-41-point-lead-over-trump-among-asian-american-n659416

Some interesting parts:
  • Hillary leads with the group overall by a margin of 43%.
  • The Republican Party has 50+% unfavorables with all Asian groups, even those that have been historically more favorable to them, like Vietnamaese, though Vietnamese are the only Asian group with a positive opinion of Donald Trump (45-43).
  • Asian-Americans hold a favorable opinion of Hillary Clinton (58-35), and a negative opinion of Donald Trump (23-67).
  • Some data on votes of Asian-American groups in the primaries, going Clinton-Sanders-Trump: Indians (60-23-7), Chinese (52-32-9), Filipino (45-9-30), Hmong (26-56-8), Japanese (63-15-14), Vietnamese (41-23-19), overall (53-22-15).
  • Data on general election groups, going Clinton-Trump-Others: Indians (70-7-9), Cambodian (51-13-27), Chinese (53-12-15), Filipino (57-27-6), Hmong (60-10-23), Japanese (53-22-11), Korean (73-12-7), Vietnamese (46-20-5).
  • Other fun parts: Asians overwhelming oppose the Muslim ban, especially Indians, support Syrian refugees coming into the country, especially among Hmong, and haven't been contacted much by political parties.

Link to the full report.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/clinton-holds-41-point-lead-over-trump-among-asian-american-n659416

Some interesting parts:
  • Hillary leads with the group overall by a margin of 43%.
  • The Republican Party has 50+% unfavorables with all Asian groups, even those that have been historically more favorable to them, like Vietnamaese, though Vietnamese are the only Asian group with a positive opinion of Donald Trump (45-43).
[/b]
  • Asian-Americans hold a favorable opinion of Hillary Clinton (58-35), and a negative opinion of Donald Trump (23-67).
  • Some data on votes of Asian-American groups in the primaries, going Clinton-Sanders-Trump: Indians (60-23-7), Chinese (52-32-9), Filipino (45-9-30), Hmong (26-56-8), Japanese (63-15-14), Vietnamese (41-23-19), overall (53-22-15).
  • Data on general election groups, going Clinton-Trump-Others: Indians (70-7-9), Cambodian (51-13-27), Chinese (53-12-15), Filipino (57-27-6), Hmong (60-10-23), Japanese (53-22-11), Korean (73-12-7), Vietnamese (46-20-5).
  • Other fun parts: Asians overwhelming oppose the Muslim ban, especially Indians, support Syrian refugees coming into the country, especially among Hmong, and haven't been contacted much by political parties.

Link to the full report.

Those Vietnamese numbers make me suspect the relatively high % of "undecided/refused" respondees among that group are actually "shy Trump" voters.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 11:00:03 PM »

I'm surprised it wasn't the Filipinos having a positive opinion on Donald Trump.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »

Do the Indian numbers surprise anyone else?

No
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 11:48:25 PM by Sbane »

A lot of them are Indian immigrants who stayed here illegally after their visa's ended. I imagine they're very worried about Trump. Considering that almost all of them are educated professionals and benefit society more than Trumpers, let them stay.

Those people are not going to be able to get good jobs if they overstayed their visa illegally. Sure, they might be able to work minimum wage jobs in some Indian store, but not as a professional in any capacity. Immigration laws are followed very strictly above a certain level......
Alaska2392
NRS11
Rookie
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2016, 01:49:22 AM »

A lot of them are Indian immigrants who stayed here illegally after their visa's ended. I imagine they're very worried about Trump. Considering that almost all of them are educated professionals and benefit society more than Trumpers, let them stay.

Those people are not going to be able to get good jobs if they overstayed their visa illegally. Sure, they might be able to work minimum wage jobs in some Indian store, but not as a professional in any capacity. Immigration laws are followed very strictly above a certain level......

First comment was ridiculous.  Corporations like Microsoft are not going to hire someone, no matter what degree they have if their H1B visa is expired.  Have you ever held a job?  On the very first day they ask for proof you can legally work in the US. 
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 02:05:26 AM »

I'm surprised it wasn't the Filipinos having a positive opinion on Donald Trump.

From my experience, there are many fillos that support Durturte (however mildly), for the development of their country, and vigorously oppose trump (perception of racism, anti-intellectual, anti-immigrant, and has ridiculous economic plans) American Politics nor Filipino Politics.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 02:12:06 AM »

As you know, we tend to be very pro-immigration, so that probably explains it.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »

From my experience, there are many fillos that support Durturte (however mildly), for the development of their country, and vigorously oppose trump (perception of racism, anti-intellectual, anti-immigrant, and has ridiculous economic plans) American Politics nor Filipino Politics.

My Mom likes BOTH Duterte and Trump. She believes Trump will replicate Duterte's drug war here in America, which she is hoping for.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:47 AM »

Indian Americans are heavily pro democrat. Bill Clinton was especially popular.

The funny part is that most Indian Americans are right wingers and support the right wing government in India
BoAtlantis

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »

But if so, why are they the most likely to support Trump?

Their preference for brash leaders like Duterte? Or their strong Christianity?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »

Donald Trump has employed a lot of Filipino immigrants to work at his hotels and condos.
uti2

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »

The funny part is that most Indian Americans are right wingers and support the right wing government in India

It's not that funny when you consider the differences between national conservatism and fiscal conservatism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_conservatism

And that nationalism splits on religious grounds, different interests we're talking about here.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »

Donald Trump has employed a lot of Filipino immigrants to work at his hotels and condos.

I don't think that adequately explains it. Party registration shows Filipinos are about even between the two parties whereas most are heavily Democrats.

http://naasurvey.com/resources/Home/NAAS12-sep25-election.pdf

Democrat Republican Independent   /   
Chinese 29% 9% 58%
Indian 50% 3% 47%
Filipino 24% 27% 45%
Vietnamese 16% 20% 64%
Korean 46% 18% 34%
Japanese 37% 18% 45%
Cambodian 26% 5% 68%
Hmong 52% 7% 41%
Native Hawaiian 41% 14% 40%
Samoan 57% 16% 24%
Male 31% 14% 53%
Female 35% 14% 50%
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »

I can also vouch that Filipino Americans are also slightly more racist than the rest of the Asians.
hopper
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

+ new immigrants.

I know you want to group hispanics and asians together, but the reality is that asians did vote more republican back in the 80s/90s on socio-economic grounds, while hispanics were consistently pro-dem, even when bill clinton campaigned against illegal immigration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZXbG5gvoC0

Reagan and W. in 2000 both got 35% of the Hispanic vote.

Hispanic voting patterns are closer to African-American voting patterns than to Asian-American voting patterns overall, closer socio-economic levels. Asian-American voting patterns are similar to college educated whites and for non-christian asians, especially similar to Jews. Different groups, different issues.
Well historically the Hispanic Vote is like the Black Vote. Asian and Hispanics have actually voted very similarly in the last 3 Presidential Elections for different reasons of course.
hopper
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »

Well most immigrants vote Democrat though.  Italians and Irish immigrants supported Democrats 100 ago.
hopper
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »

As I explained, that trend began earlier, they had similar levels of support for Obama, and there are generational differences + new immigrants.

Hammering AA as a republican strategy would actually be counterproductive, it would cause more hispanic/black hatred towards republicans, while the non-christian asians wouldn't vote for the party of christian identity no matter what.

In retrospect, George W. Bush winning in 2000 and polarizing the electorate with social and religious issues probably did the most long-term damage to GOP hopes of gaining the asian and jewish vote.
George W. Bush-Nah his running on social and religious issues has nothing to do with the GOP's current problems in Presidential Elections.

George W. Bush polarized the modern electoral map killing off the secular northern states that had traditionally backed republicans before, for instance. He knowingly did this to maximize evangelical turnout in the south, and block dems out of the south, hence Gore losing TN, MO, WV, etc.
Bush W. won 44% of the Asian Vote both times though(2000 and 2004) so the religious aspect of "The South" had very little to do with Asians not voting or voting GOP at that time.

On a side note Asians in 1992 even after Pat Buchanan's infamous religious speech at the RNC voted more for Bush H.W.(55-31-15%) than Non-Hispanic Whites(40-39-20%) did. That's seems like a long time ago that Asians were GOP!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies