Duterte's Satisfaction Rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Duterte's Satisfaction Rating
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Duterte's Satisfaction Rating  (Read 1376 times)
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:07:44 PM »

At roughly the same time in their respective terms, four other presidents earned “very good” net satisfaction ratings: Benigno Aquino III at 60 percent, Joseph Estrada also at 60 percent, and Corazon Aquino at 53 percent. Only Fidel Ramos received a higher net rating than Mr. Duterte, with 66 percent.

I find it hillarious since Ramos was elected with... 23.58%.

Well, no that I browse throught results, every Filipino President since then was elected with plularity only (Estrada: 39.86%, Macapagal-Arroyo: 39.99%, Aquino: 42.08%, Duterte: 39.01%).

It's also amusing to see disparity between same ticket presidential and vice presidential candidates results. Miriam Defensor Santiago got rather miserable 3.42%, while Bongbong only narrowly lost the VP race with 34.47%).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »

Reminder that Duterte employs death squads, so the satisfaction rating is probably not 100% genuine.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:14:06 AM »

Reminder that Duterte employs death squads, so the satisfaction rating is probably not 100% genuine.

No, it probably is.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:26:46 AM »

My opinion of Filipinos as people has nosedived.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:43 AM »

Yeah, that's the thing. Instead of trying to understand what makes them support Dutetre, we'll use an easy "deplorables" explanation. Except it doesn't accomplish a thing.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 05:14:04 AM »

At roughly the same time in their respective terms, four other presidents earned “very good” net satisfaction ratings: Benigno Aquino III at 60 percent, Joseph Estrada also at 60 percent, and Corazon Aquino at 53 percent. Only Fidel Ramos received a higher net rating than Mr. Duterte, with 66 percent.

Well, no that I browse throught results, every Filipino President since then was elected with plularity only (Estrada: 39.86%, Macapagal-Arroyo: 39.99%, Aquino: 42.08%, Duterte: 39.01%).

It's also amusing to see disparity between same ticket presidential and vice presidential candidates results. Miriam Defensor Santiago got rather miserable 3.42%, while Bongbong only narrowly lost the VP race with 34.47%).
Too sad because Defensor Santiago passed away last week due to stage 4 lung cancer. (she had cancer for 2 years)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »

Too sad because Defensor Santiago passed away last week due to stage 4 lung cancer. (she had cancer for 2 years)

I just realized that except of 2004 Filipinos elected President and Vice President from diffrent tickets every time since 1992.

It would be funny to see something like this in the U.S. (though it's not really unusual at statewide level).
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »

I just realized that except of 2004 Filipinos elected President and Vice President from diffrent tickets every time since 1992.

It would be funny to see something like this in the U.S. (though it's not really unusual at statewide level).
Well it happened once in the U.S., 1796
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »

Well it happened once in the U.S., 1796

Yes, but in totally diffrent era and totally diffrent system. It would be very diffrent to see, let's say Hillary/Pence administration.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »

Yeah, that's the thing. Instead of trying to understand what makes them support Dutetre, we'll use an easy "deplorables" explanation. Except it doesn't accomplish a thing.

I mean they are mostly supportive of a mass murderer mass murdering people. Not really seeing any nuance.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »

I mean they are mostly supportive of a mass murderer mass murdering people. Not really seeing any nuance.
You or I have never lived in a country where the president openly encouraged extra-judicial killings on a wide scale (on our own soil).

We simply don't know the dynamic involved here.  I can totally see where a significant number of people are scared to say anything but "satisfied" out of fear they could be next.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

Well, that's disappointing...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »

Also, from what RGN said, pretty much every President since Ramos had high satisfaction rantings at this point in time. This is rather early.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »

Yes, that's the only reason one can support him. Roll Eyes
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »

I mean this is literally a "Hitler wasn't all bad" argument coming from you guys. Shameful.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 05:02:22 AM »

Might as well update this as new polling numbers arrive.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »

He literally has death squads who if I recall correctly, have been caught with lists of the names and addresses of his political opponents. And he encourages them. I don't think anything about Duterte is defensible.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 01:28:31 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

He literally has death squads who if I recall correctly, have been caught with lists of the names and addresses of his political opponents. And he encourages them. I don't think anything about Duterte is defensible.

I'm just going to go ahead and post what I said in the other thread...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look I'm Pilipino-American. I have relatives who supported Duterte throughout his campaign. My own family is totally horrified by what's happening in the Philippines. But people back home like him. Why? Because of the above reasons -- over 70 years of government by basically the same ruling class hasn't meant development for the middle and lower classes. So they'd rather have someone who's true to his word than the same-old, same-old, even if his beliefs are this terrible.

And of course, as far as the "tough-on-crime" thing is concerned, the really scary question to ask is what if it works, and there does end up being a reduction in crime? I don't think many parts of Pilipino society give a damn about how its done, as long as its done.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »

Look I'm Pilipino-American. I have relatives who supported Duterte throughout his campaign. My own family is totally horrified by what's happening in the Philippines. But people back home like him. Why? Because of the above reasons -- over 70 years of government by basically the same ruling class hasn't meant development for the middle and lower classes. So they'd rather have someone who's true to his word than the same-old, same-old, even if his beliefs are this terrible.

And of course, as far as the "tough-on-crime" thing is concerned, the really scary question to ask is what if it works, and there does end up being a reduction in crime? I don't think many parts of Pilipino society give a damn about how its done, as long as its done.

Instead of blindly condemning the Filipinos while feeling all good about ourselves, we should try to understand what's wrong with the state of the Philippines, which naturally helps Duterte. It's easy to dismiss the Filipinos as "deplorables" or something along these lines, but that exactly patronizing-sneering attitude of some in this thread is a part of the problem, not a solution.

And yes, when you look at any contemporary list of Filipino politicians you can see exactly the same names as in the 30s or 40s. Not a coincidence.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »

Instead of blindly condemning the Filipinos while feeling all good about ourselves, we should try to understand what's wrong with the state of the Philippines, which naturally helps Duterte. It's easy to dismiss the Filipinos as "deplorables" or something along these lines, but that exactly patronizing-sneering attitude of some in this thread is a part of the problem, not a solution.

And yes, when you look at any contemporary list of Filipino politicians you can see exactly the same names as in the 30s or 40s. Not a coincidence.

Oh, I'm not condemning the Filipinos, I'm just saying an approval rating in the 90s (which I've seen elsewhere) is ridiculous, and fear of the death squads probably explains some of the approval. I could buy him being in the low 70s in approval, I just can't understand a 90% rating. That's dictator-level approval.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies