Is "Hot micgate" Trump's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:19:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "Hot micgate" Trump's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: Is "Hot micgate" Trump's 47% moment?  (Read 4010 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »

I think this is it for Trump. If he does horribly at the debate on Sunday, it's safe to say he's toast.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »

He's been toast since DNC
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »

No, it's much worse.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »

don't think so.

basket of deplorables was worse for his own base i guess....but it is another little piece.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:28:04 PM »

psychprofessor

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »

47% damaged Romney but didn't end his campaign...this is a campaign ender. People will pull endorsements, open revolt in the GOP for the next month, #nevertrumpers gloating, stock up on your popcorn
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »

Yes.  I think the bottom will fall out for him, and he'll lose states like Georgia, Arizona, and maybe even Indiana, Missouri, Utah, and Texas.
Fargobison

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »

This is worse and with Trump involved he could blow it up further.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »

A random quote from 11 years ago being dragged up from the grave is in no way worse than what Romney said during the heat of a campaign.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »

A random quote from 11 years ago being dragged up from the grave is in no way worse than what Romney said during the heat of a campaign.
The content is magnitudes worse and cannot be explained away by anyone.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »

It's an entire conversation with Trump bragging about ing married women and grabbing them by the pussy while he himself was married. And it's not like Trump has been respectful everywhere else besides this. I would bet good money that Trump has said a lot more than this even more recently and a lot worse.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »

You think Republican-leaning women hearing this won't have a worse effect on his campaign than Republican-leaning folks hearing Romney say something all of them agreed with (and those considering supporting him probably already knew he believed)?  This is so much worse.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »

The thing is this tape pretty much confirms every negative stereotype people have of Trump, the same way the 47% tape feed into the Romney caricature. 

His base will stick with him, but this kills him with undecided voters.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2016, 04:55:17 PM by Alcon »

Worse in the electoral sense, or worse in how it reflects on the candidate?  I agree that, all else being equal, a recent quote is more troubling to the voters than an old quote.  But is all else equal here?  Both quotes played strongly into a negative perception of the candidate.  This one is also way, way more jarring.  Paying attention to the chronology and not the fact that this is wayyyy more unpleasant to hear.

As for how it reflects on the candidate...what, you think Donald Trump is any different now in any relevant sense than when he said this?  I mean, I'm sure his testosterone count has fallen, but otherwise...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »

I'm not convinced that this is going to hurt him to the point of him losing states like Missouri or Indiana. I think that while most people could not and would not try to defend what he said, it's not going to turn a significant number of his supporters away. Then again, pretty much nothing will, at this point.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »

What, you think Donald Trump is any different now in any relevant sense than when he said this?  I mean, I'm sure his testosterone count has fallen, but otherwise...

I don't think anyone's under the illusion that Trump respects women or marriage or people in general in any meaningful way. That fact's already baked in for most people.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »

He was done before this, but his is sure to grow the size of Hillary's victory.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 04:45:35 PM »

Yes.  I think the bottom will fall out for him, and he'll lose states like Georgia, Arizona, and maybe even Indiana, Missouri, Utah, and Texas.

Utah is interesting. Large Mormon population, could do him damage there.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

What I'm really hoping is that Republicans who were going to hold their nose and vote Trump realize that he's toast, and stay home on Election Day. Then we could really see a landslide.
Fargobison

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

I'm not convinced that this is going to hurt him to the point of him losing states like Missouri or Indiana. I think that while most people could not and would not try to defend what he said, it's not going to turn a significant number of his supporters away. Then again, pretty much nothing will, at this point.

The problem is a lot of those people don't like him either, he is a means to defeat Clinton for many on the right.

What happens now that he is a surefire loser?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »

What, you think Donald Trump is any different now in any relevant sense than when he said this?  I mean, I'm sure his testosterone count has fallen, but otherwise...

I don't think anyone's under the illusion that Trump respects women or marriage or people in general in any meaningful way. That fact's already baked in for most people.

And the idea that Romney might be somewhat "out of touch" with working-class people wasn't baked in before the 47% comment?  Or the idea that Clinton has honesty problems wasn't baked in before the scandal that almost sent this election to a tie?  If anything, I'm of the mind that spotlighting candidates' worse characteristics/tendencies makes scandals worse, not mitigates them.
swf541

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »

What I'm really hoping is that Republicans who were going to hold their nose and vote Trump realize that he's toast, and stay home on Election Day. Then we could really see a landslide.

I hope so to, could see a better number of senate seats flip too
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

No, He's like friggin Wile E Coyote, You can drop all the anvils in the world on his head and nothing happens.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »

What, you think Donald Trump is any different now in any relevant sense than when he said this?  I mean, I'm sure his testosterone count has fallen, but otherwise...

And the idea that Romney might be somewhat "out of touch" with working-class people wasn't baked in before the 47% comment?  Or the idea that Clinton has honesty problems wasn't baked in before the scandal that almost sent this election to a tie?  If anything, I'm of the mind that spotlighting candidates' worse characteristics/tendencies makes scandals worse, not mitigates them.

I would generally agree with you. I think the difference here (besides the temporal difference and the political context revealed in) is that Romney's comment really revealed a previously unseen level of contempt and vitriol toward a large proportion of the population whereas Trump's comments aren't really that out of line with his established persona.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies