Religious People - Where do you stand on the creationist/evolutionist scale?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:47:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Religious People - Where do you stand on the creationist/evolutionist scale?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Just pick the answer you are closest to
Young Earth Creationist - The world was created by a/some god(s), sometime in the last 10,000 years, in a short amount of time. Evolution is heresy.
Old Earth Creationist - Scientists are roughly correct about the age of the earth, but evolution did not happen. A/some god(s) created each species at certain times in history from dust or similar.
Progressive Creationist - Scientists are roughly correct about the age of the earth, and species did develop from previous species, but no actual evolution is present. A/some god(s) created new species out of parts of previous species without natural sele
Theistic Evolutionist - Scientists are roughly correct about the age of the earth, and natural selection did happen to a point. However, A/some god(s) guided the process throughout with a clear end goal in mind and did some of the "evolution" on
Darwinian Evolutionist - The theory of evolution is fully correct and valid. This does not prohibit a god from existing according to my beliefs.
Do not believe in any gods
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Religious People - Where do you stand on the creationist/evolutionist scale?  (Read 3925 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
« edited: October 07, 2016, 05:27:22 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

Third option ending was supposed to read: "without natural selection ever being present"
Fourth option ending was supposed to read: "on his/her/their own without the help of natural selection.

This is intended to be a poll, not an evolution megathread, but if it turns into that, so be it.

As I've stated many times before, I'm a (christian) theistic evolutionist. The creation story wouldn't have been written if god didn't play a role, but the scientific evidence for an old earth and some level of natural selection is definitely there and very hard to deny in my view. I believe this is consistent with the bible, even if I don't have a perfect answer to every question YECers/OECers ask.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:01:26 AM »

Option 4 or 5. 4 is possible, but given the vast scale of the universe in both space and time, it seems unnecessary for intervention to happen on the evolutionary scale.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »

Option 4 or 5. 4 is possible, but given the vast scale of the universe in both space and time, it seems unnecessary for intervention to happen on the evolutionary scale.
This.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

I am an ''Old Earth, Young Humanity'' creationist.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »

3 or 4.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »

4.5ish, in that I have the strong suspicion--but no real theological argument, yet--that this is in some way a false dichotomy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »

4.5ish, in that I have the strong suspicion--but no real theological argument, yet--that this is in some way a false dichotomy.

I actually agree with this entirely. 4 and 5 can both be true - they would just reflect different levels of truth.

Obviously, the level of truth to which 4 refers bears no relevance to a science class.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »

4 of course.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »

Theistic evolutionist.  I could get into all the details, but it would probably take several posts, so I will summarize with that.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »

Young Earth, but I do recognize that they're some evidence in favor of the other choices.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »

Young Earth. Though am open to the day-age view.

6-12 thousand years at the most.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 11:00:03 PM »

... What? There are enormous, even vast amounts of scientific proof to completely discredit any notion of a young earth. Have you never taken a course in Anthropology or Biology?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 01:40:53 AM »

The closest one to my views is Progressive Creationism. I believe in natural selection and that God created all general animals as they are now, but God created things like one canine, one feline, and through natural selection guided them to where they are now. I believe humanity was created as is.

That is one of the stupidest applications of moderate hero logic I've ever seen. Right on par with the XKCD cartoon on 9/11.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 04:22:09 PM »

The closest one to my views is Progressive Creationism. I believe in natural selection and that God created all general animals as they are now, but God created things like one canine, one feline, and through natural selection guided them to where they are now. I believe humanity was created as is.

That is one of the stupidest applications of moderate hero logic I've ever seen. Right on par with the XKCD cartoon on 9/11.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »

... What? There are enormous, even vast amounts of scientific proof to completely discredit any notion of a young earth. Have you never taken a course in Anthropology or Biology?

The funny part is that he is evidently married to a geologist.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »

But true. She is old  🌏. Astronomy tends to favor young earth however.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2016, 11:27:14 AM by Cruz 2020 »

But true. She is old  🌏. Astronomy tends to favor young earth however.

Huh?  Even young-Earth creationist astronomers like Jason Lisle acknowledge that the distant starlight problem poses a significant difficulty for a young universe model.  

Anyway, for me, I'm definitely a fan of the gap theory (often called the gap principle) - as there is too much scientific evidence contradicting a young Earth, and the exegesis makes sense with it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »

For me the answer is 6.

I don't see any huge difference between 4 and 5, though.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »

But true. She is old  🌏. Astronomy tends to favor young earth however.

Huh?  Even young-Earth creationist astronomers like Jason Lisle acknowledge that the distant starlight problem poses a significant difficulty for a young universe model.  

Anyway, for me, I'm definitely a fan of the gap theory (often called the gap principle) - as there is too much scientific evidence contradicting a young Earth, and the exegesis makes sense with it.

Is that the one where God creates, destroys, and re-creates everything, and fossils are from the first creation?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »

Third option ending was supposed to read: "without natural selection ever being present"
Fourth option ending was supposed to read: "on his/her/their own without the help of natural selection.

This is intended to be a poll, not an evolution megathread, but if it turns into that, so be it.

As I've stated many times before, I'm a (christian) theistic evolutionist. The creation story wouldn't have been written if god didn't play a role, but the scientific evidence for an old earth and some level of natural selection is definitely there and very hard to deny in my view. I believe this is consistent with the bible, even if I don't have a perfect answer to every question YECers/OECers ask.

You forget that all religions have some kind of creation myth so why would you pick a fairly recent Christian myth over the older myths and traditions?

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »

You seem to promote Jesus'/Yahweh's substitutionary atonement as moral and just.

How so when your own scriptures speak of our being responsible for our own salvation?

Most Christians will not argue for it. Perhaps because every decent court on earth would reject such a notion as they believe that justice should seek to punish the guilty and not the innocent.

I basically think the way this Bishop does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNup9gEBdg&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Are you up for a civil argument here or in a new O.P. as to not highjack this one?

If so, please refute this following statement here or begin a new thread.

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Regards
DL

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »

For me the answer is 6.

I don't see any huge difference between 4 and 5, though.

The basic difference is 4) involves some sort of "intelligent being" controlling the process of evolution (at least some of the time), while 5) is saying there were no supernatural aspects to evolution or natural selection, but that this doesn't mean there is no god.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »

Young Earth, but I do recognize that they're some evidence in favor of the other choices.

Do you see your bible as evidence given that it begins with a talking serpent and a God who cannot seem to get creation right?

By that I mean that he screwed up heaven with Satan, he screwed up Eden by having to murder A & E by neglect and locking away what would have kept t5hem alive, the tree of life, and finally God could not control his own sons of God and had to genocide almost the whole earth to reboot the system.

Not a great record for a God. Right?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

A bit of comic relief followed by how creation really happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPQj5ITva9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmD9ZWDUsNY

Regards
DL
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies