If the GOP Wins in 2020, Does it Even Matter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:03:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If the GOP Wins in 2020, Does it Even Matter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the GOP Wins in 2020, Does it Even Matter?  (Read 1349 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

I think it is highly likely that Trump will lose, but that a Republican will defeat Hillary in 2020.  But, would it even matter by then?  With four years of Hillary, we would, quite possibly, have a majority of young, far-left, liberals on the Supreme Court that would be able to find some excuse to strike down every conservative law.  I have this pit in my stomach that we will elect an incredible president in 2020, but that he or she will not be able to make conservative policy changes, despite a conservative Congress, because the Supreme Court will strike everything down.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »

You also thought it was "very likely" that Trump would win Nevada and Wisconsin. Your input is pretty much irrelevant, fam. No, it isn't very likely that the GOP will win in 2020; the party's base is out of control and will almost certainly choose someone just as unelectable as Trump as it's nominee in 2020. Face it: the GOP doesn't know how to win Presidential elections anymore.

And LOL at "far-left" justices finding an "excuse to strike down every conservative law". How can you spend so much time on here and still be so pathetically ignorant of the political process?

You are so paranoid and delusional lmao. Get a f**king grip for christ's sakes.
He is entitled to his own views.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »

I think it is highly likely that Trump will lose, but that a Republican will defeat Hillary in 2020.  But, would it even matter by then?  With four years of Hillary, we would, quite possibly, have a majority of young, far-left, liberals on the Supreme Court that would be able to find some excuse to strike down every conservative law.

This is very doubtful.

I have this pit in my stomach that we will elect an incredible president in 2020, but that he or she will not be able to make conservative policy changes, despite a conservative Congress, because the Supreme Court will strike everything down.

I have this pit in my stomach that 2020 will be a replay of 2016.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »

I think it is highly likely that Trump will lose, but that a Republican will defeat Hillary in 2020.  But, would it even matter by then?  With four years of Hillary, we would, quite possibly, have a majority of young, far-left, liberals on the Supreme Court that would be able to find some excuse to strike down every conservative law.

This is very doubtful.

I have this pit in my stomach that we will elect an incredible president in 2020, but that he or she will not be able to make conservative policy changes, despite a conservative Congress, because the Supreme Court will strike everything down.

Basically it takes 16 years for the GOP to figure out how to get a respectable candidate to run for POTUS?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »

Of course it does. Clinton will appoint one justice minimum and at most two, although she may just appoint 1. We need to focus on saving the senate so that we can prevent a liberal justice.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »

This is very doubtful.

Basically it takes 16 years for the GOP to figure out how to get a respectable candidate to run for POTUS?

McCain was respectable and so was Romney
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »

Garland and Breyer aren't far-left. I doubt either will retire under Clinton. Breyer, if he did retire, would probably be replaced by someone like David F. Levi or James Hahn: a 65+, moderately liberal judge. Preet Bharara, Sri Srinivisan, Neal Katyal, and Jeffrey Rosen are the young liberals who could replace liberals.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

Garland and Breyer aren't far-left. I doubt either will retire under Clinton. Breyer, if he did retire, would probably be replaced by someone like David F. Levi or James Hahn: a 65+, moderately liberal judge. Preet Bharara, Sri Srinivisan, Neal Katyal, and Jeffrey Rosen are the young liberals who could replace liberals.

You don't seem to understand where I was coming from.  When Scalia was alive, we were one vote away from having the votes to overturn Roe.  We have come this far, and the opening is there, but, if we let this chance to overturn it slip away, we probably won't get another one for a long, long time.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 06:14:10 PM »

You don't seem to understand where I was coming from.  When Scalia was alive, we were one vote away from having the votes to overturn Roe.  We have come this far, and the opening is there, but, if we let this chance to overturn it slip away, we probably won't get another one for a long, long time.

There is a scenario in which things work out in your favor. If Clinton wins in 2016, she gets to replace Scalia. But if she loses in 2020, and a GOP President and a GOP Senate replace Ginsburg and Breyer, that gives you the votes.

Probably never going to happen, though. Ginsburg's probably retiring under HRC. Breyer might even do the same. After they're replaced, you may never have the votes to overturn Roe. A court in which Scalia is replaced by a HRC Choice could even reinforce Roe with a new precedent. (plus, court decisions can't be overturned willy-nilly anyway) Your right-wing court had a good run, eliminating campaign finance limits and gutting the voting rights act, and making medicaid expansion optional instead of mandatory. That court screwed over a lot of people in a lot of ways.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies