Why should I vote Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:01:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why should I vote Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why should I vote Democrat?  (Read 3123 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2005, 05:25:56 PM »

Suppose I am 33.  I'm married with 3 kids.  I work for $70,000 a year and hope to make $100,000 by the time I'm 40.  My wife works for $40,000 [part time].  All of us are healthy, get enough exercise, and don't need chronic medication.  I work in the finance industry and my wife in the health care industry.  My kids go to private school because the public schools in the area are very poor.  Because of this, money is rather tight.

In GENERAL, why should we vote Democrat?  What do the Democrats have to offer us, for our life?  How will it make our lives easier and better?  How will they improve our community?

Rule 1: Answers may NOT include the word "Republican" or "Bush" or any reference to other parties.  This isn't about other parties; this is about the Democrat party.

Rule 2: Answers may not be in the form of what you are not.  One does not define oneself by saying what you're not; rather, you state what you are.

Rule 3: No bloviating.  Keep it simple.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 06:10:05 PM »

The primary reason is economic: Because you and your wife are workers, and therefore incredibly vulnerable.  You need State assistance or your meager lifestyle will inevitably buffeted by the market (in other words you will be replaced by cheaper labour, benefiting the owners).  Your good health will inevitably depart, very soon.  Age, disease, and death are inevitable, and your feeble salable 'skills' are pathetically ephemeral.  You should vote for a generous welfare state, high minimum wages, unionization, redistribution, and tax-paid health care simply because you and yours will almost certainly need them at some point.

Also, one should note that you are already a very atypically well paid worker - this means two things.  1) it is easier for you to decieve yourself that you will not be effected by the market in the same way as your brethren below you, and 2) there is an even greater incentive for the owners to eliminate or replace you!

As a side issue, your children may die in back alley abortions if you don't vote Democrat, and of course your personal freedoms will be slowly curtailed by the religious.  But given that you're already dumb enough to marry and reproduce, you may enjoy that, and even take pleasure in the fact that others will be denied fun.  Lastly, by voting Democrat you would reduce the likelyhood of your offspring being killed in pointless wars, and of you being killed in retaliatory 'terrorist' attacks.

Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »

There's no reason for you to. End of story.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »

Cashcow

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 07:46:46 PM »

If you vote solely on economic issues, you probably have no reason to.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »

This is why you SHOULDN'T vote Democratic (typical gloom and doom scenario listed:

The primary reason is economic: Because you and your wife are workers, and therefore incredibly vulnerable.  You need State assistance or your meager lifestyle will inevitably buffeted by the market (in other words you will be replaced by cheaper labour, benefiting the owners). 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 08:39:23 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2005, 08:52:10 PM by nickshepDEM »

No reason, but most Americans are not as fortunate as you and your family.  110,000 dollar a year household income?  sh**t, where I come from, your rich.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »

There's no reason for any decent person to vote Democrat.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 09:04:53 PM »

There's no reason for any decent person to vote Democrat.
Unless you're not a CEO.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 09:09:04 PM »

No, even if I am not a CEO, there's still no reason for any decent person to vote Democrat.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »

No, even if I am not a CEO, there's still no reason for any decent person to vote Democrat.
Basically the Republicans screw over everyone except the CEOs and other ultra rich people with their policies.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 09:17:25 PM »

Basically the Republicans screw over everyone except the CEOs and other ultra rich people with their policies.

No, non-interventionism doesn't screw anyone over, by definition. I think what you meant to say is, they don't screw over the CEOs and other ultra-rich people like the Democrats do.

Decent people don't actively attack other people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 09:20:46 PM »

No, non-interventionism doesn't screw anyone over, by definition. I think what you meant to say is, they don't screw over the CEOs and other ultra-rich people like the Democrats do.

We screw over the richest 0.1%, which includes some of our supporters like Warren Buffett and George Soros. Got a problem with that?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 09:21:17 PM »

Without the government, the ultra-rich will develope and aristocracy, and class mobility will dimish heavily.  The poor will be born poor and have naught the ability to move up.  Neutrality is in itself plutocracy.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 09:22:23 PM »

We screw over the richest 0.1%, which includes some of our supporters like Warren Buffett and George Soros. Got a problem with that?

Apparently they don't mind!  I do think there should be another tax bracket between $300,000-$1,000,000 though.  It's well-off, but not super wealthy like it once was.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 09:28:12 PM »

Without the government, the ultra-rich will develope and aristocracy, and class mobility will dimish heavily.  The poor will be born poor and have naught the ability to move up.  Neutrality is in itself plutocracy.

Plutocracy is rule by the rich. Class mobility is irrelevant to plutocracy.

Government does not give people the ability to move up, nor does non-intervention make anyone else more likely to be born 'poor.'
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 09:30:32 PM »

Without the government, the ultra-rich will develope and aristocracy, and class mobility will dimish heavily.  The poor will be born poor and have naught the ability to move up.  Neutrality is in itself plutocracy.

Government does not give people the ability to move up, nor does non-intervention make anyone else more likely to be born 'poor.'
Yes is does.  Government can provide the ability to bring people up in so many ways.  We can provide quality education, which is a huge influence on future salary.  We can provide free child care for single mothers, so they can go out and get a job.  We can provide healthcare to working families, so they don't have the incentive to quit their job and draw welfare and medicare, and so also we prevent diseases early on so they don't become worse and cause that person to be a drain on society.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 09:48:08 PM »

This question was aimed at Democrats for most part... I wouldn't expect Republicans or Libertarians to give me a good answer.

Any other Democrats want to give a go?

And Nick, this is just a hypothetical situation.  I'm not drawing $70K Smiley  I'm just anxious for a Democrat to tell me what exactly will they provide me if I support them.  What is the appeal to vote for them?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »

Because the Democrats won't impose a theocracy.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 09:58:48 PM »

Neither will the Republicans; besides, if they do, it wouldn't concern me really.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »

Yes they will; it will just have a different set of beliefs, and will be called something different.  What do you think political correctness is?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 10:03:57 PM »

Yes they will; it will just have a different set of beliefs, and will be called something different.  What do you think political correctness is?
Thats true.  A theocracy of atheism, where it would be illegal to even speak the name of God in a public place that is not a church.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 10:04:22 PM »

Yes is does.  Government can provide the ability to bring people up in so many ways.  We can provide quality education, which is a huge influence on future salary.  We can provide free child care for single mothers, so they can go out and get a job.  We can provide healthcare to working families, so they don't have the incentive to quit their job and draw welfare and medicare, and so also we prevent diseases early on so they don't become worse and cause that person to be a drain on society.

That's not giving them the ability to move up. That's just moving them up.

What you have described is absolutely sick, and is the very definition of screwing people over. Doing nothing does not screw anyone over. That's why it's nothing.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 10:32:52 PM »

Nobody can really "provide" an education to another person.  Good schools only exist in communities where education is valued, and do not exist where it is not valued.  Having said that, I support an escape option (vouchers) for those stuck in communities with poor schools, so they at least have the opportunity for a decent education.

As far as free daycare goes, where do you draw the line?  Why should single mothers get for free what married working mothers have to pay for?  Why should society be forced to subsidize individual choices that are bad for society in any case?  We have already heavily subsidized single parenthood, and the results have been catastrophic.

I realize your intentions are good, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Not only would there have to be a very high tax rate to support your proposals, but they would not have the positive effects that you think they would, in my opinion.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 12:47:48 AM »

Because the Democrats are the main alternative to the party of pure evil and corruption.

They are far from perfect, but you have no decent alternative.

Vote Democrat to prevent the ultimate destruction of America and freedom.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies