Will Trump drop out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:26:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump drop out?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: After the hot mic audio, will Trump step aside?
Yes, on his own

Yes, forced out by RNC

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Author Topic: Will Trump drop out?  (Read 5368 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »

I' M WITH HIM

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »

At this point he really should, I liked trump but this, audio is really bad. I really like his policies, but he just has so many scandals now that I really hope for the sake of the gop he does. Im extremely angry and sad. However I will not support Hillary.

lol, what policies?

Just vote for Gary Johnson or whatever.

What is aleppo?

Well, I'm not voting for either of them.

Still, I'd be inclined to support someone who isn't familiar with Aleppo over a person who goes around bragging about sexually abusing women if push came to shove.

No serious  candidate doesn't know what Aleppo is. Honestly, if it wasn't in the news cycle daily I would of have let it slide, but you can't defend it. To me, it would be like saying what is Tehran or Pyongyang. And what Trump said was horrific, but I don't want Clinton to be president because she is the definition of Evil. Trump is just dumb.

Maybe he's like me and avoids most of the news, because it's all fear mongering.  Maybe he isn't that smart, maybe he's just not as good as remembering facts.  Intelligence takes difference forms.  What's important to me is his issues, his character, and his honesty.  And in those things he is light-years ahead of his opponents.

Not all news is "fear mongering". What about sports, weather etc. So please don't go MSNBC on me and say that its "all fear mongering". I understand your point about intelligence but come on, that's embarrassing. That's just not acceptable to not know a major Syrian city currently under siege.  And a presidential candidate should be WELL informed.

You're splitting ends. News, "real news" like current world events is mostly fear mongering.  The rest is sports, and nonsense like someone rescued a kitten or a feel-good story to counter the fear.

Honestly if you asked me that question about Aleppo back a couple months ago... I would've thought it was some place in Italy.  I've only seen it as "Alep" and not really wanting to see the travesties committed over there in the news.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2016, 10:05:54 PM »

This.

Seriously?
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »

Let's be realistic: Trump is toast.  Will he step aside on his own, be forced out by the RNC, or try to hang in there?
Sourcing on Trump being "toast" for acting like the alpha male that he is? I do appreciate your "independent" Atlas concern though for the Republican candidate that you don't support.

My Trump sign remains proudly on my front lawn.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 12:00:41 AM by True Federalist »

Let's be realistic: Trump is toast.  Will he step aside on his own, be forced out by the RNC, or try to hang in there?
Sourcing on Trump being "toast" for acting like the alpha male that he is? I do appreciate your "independent" Atlas concern though for the Republican candidate that you don't support.

My Trump sign remains proudly on my front lawn.

You desperately need to read this Salon article from last Sunday: The alpha dog that wouldn’t hunt: How Trump’s ludicrous “alpha male” act is destroying him

That said, while this likely destroys what little chance Trump had of winning, it won't cause him to leave the race.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2016, 12:19:39 AM »

What's really sad is that children are listening to the utter crap that Trump spews. Such a shame. Any self-respecting person would drop out of the race.....and there's my answer.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2016, 12:35:30 AM »

This. He cannot be swapped out on the ballot at this point. Not that he'd drop out anyway. But if I may indulge this fantasy for a second, the way it could be done is Mike Pence could try to stage a coup. Pence could publicly denounce Trump and, possibly with the support of Ryan and Priebus, call upon the Republican electors to put him at the top of the ticket when it comes time to cast their electoral votes. That's closer to a bad House of Cards plotline than a thing would logistically be possible, but that's the only way it could be done.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »

This. He cannot be swapped out on the ballot at this point. Not that he'd drop out anyway. But if I may indulge this fantasy for a second, the way it could be done is Mike Pence could try to stage a coup. Pence could publicly denounce Trump and, possibly with the support of Ryan and Priebus, call upon the Republican electors to put him at the top of the ticket when it comes time to cast their electoral votes. That's closer to a bad House of Cards plotline than a thing would logistically be possible, but that's the only way it could be done.

And how would Trump supporters react to this?  Not to mention Trump himself, a man who always punches back when attacked (and I'm sure he would perceive this as an attack.)

The GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place here.  If they dump Trump, they lose his hard-core supporters; if they don't, they lose Republicans who are appalled by all this.  The Presidency is lost for them this year; all they can do is try to limit the down-ballot damage.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »

What's really sad is that children are listening to the utter crap that Trump spews. Such a shame. Any self-respecting person would drop out of the race.....and there's my answer.

What's really disgusting is how RealClearPolitics are putting up a thousand videos (mostly from Fox) apologizing Trump's behaviour, and either giving the blame of his antics to Bill or Hillary Clinton. Now that's something. So much for neutrality RealClearPolitics!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »

What's really disgusting is how RealClearPolitics are putting up a thousand videos (mostly from Fox) apologizing Trump's behaviour, and either giving the blame of his antics to Bill or Hillary Clinton. Now that's something. So much for neutrality RealClearPolitics!

They've never been neutral. RCP has always had a Republican (not necessarily conservative) lean. They've just been better at keeping it under a degree of control than places like Fake News.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »

They've never been neutral. RCP has always had a Republican (not necessarily conservative) lean. They've just been better at keeping it under a degree of control than places like Fake News.

I know, and I've said it repeatedly, but some days it's truely disgusting, like today. It's so sad what the world has "become". It was kind of better in the pre internet days, when you didn't have to face it daily so upfront and in your face. We were so much more innocent back then.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »

Probably not, but if the debate goes really poorly for him, there's a small possibility he cracks. He's down, running out of time, and I'm sure he hates to lose. It's not impossible...but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Fargobison

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »

Now Sessions wants Trump to drop out?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/784764563170422784
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »

For those wondering how the GOP would replace Trump if he dropped out, this is informative if head-spinning:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/heres-what-happens-if-donald-trump-drops-out-of-presidential-race/

TL;DR: they can replace him, but not in every state. It would be open to all kinds of legal challenges, not to mention the wrath of mobilised Trump supporters. And if Clinton wins outright it's all irrelevant anyway.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »

Nope, Republicans are stuck with him to the bitter end. They chose to stay on the sinking ship, and there are no lifeboats available.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »

No, he won't. His ego won't allow it.

And quite frankly I don't want him to drop out for two basic reasons: First, and most important, I can't wait to see his face when he loses the election. When he goes down in flames on election night. And second, the GOP needs to learn its lesson. Enough with stupidity and obstructionism, come back to cooperation.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »

Ok, let's say for fun that Trump drops out. What about tomorrow's debate. Will it just be Hillary alone? It was Trump's name on the invitation.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »

Trump has told WaPo and WSJ that he's not dropping out. Normally if a politician says this they drop out 24 hours later. But this is Trump.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 11:34:06 AM by Old Europe »

Ok, let's say for fun that Trump drops out. What about tomorrow's debate. Will it just be Hillary alone? It was Trump's name on the invitation.

They could hold a townhall with Hillary...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »

No, he won't. His ego won't allow it.

And quite frankly I don't want him to drop out for two basic reasons: First, and most important, I can't wait to see his face when he loses the election. When he goes down in flames on election night. And second, the GOP needs to learn its lesson. Enough with stupidity and obstructionism, come back to cooperation.
I didn't realize the Senate was controlled by Majority Leader Trump??
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »

Looks like a no to me!
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »

He won't drop out, but even if he did there's no replacing him on the ballot. Republicans made their bed in Cleveland.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »

I hope so, but probably not
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

Here is the plan. At the debate, Trump deflects questions about hot mic, and lashes away at Hillary and the revelations about her. Then in his closing statement, Trump says he understands that his comments are drowning out everything else, and that he has become a distraction, and thus he is dropping out, and urges everyone to vote for Pence. Whether it works better to just leave the ticket in place, with the electors saying they will all vote for Pence, or to formally drop out, and litigate what appears on the ballot, and so forth, are mere details, for the wonks to work out.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »

Here is the plan. At the debate, Trump deflects questions about hot mic, and lashes away at Hillary and the revelations about her. Then in his closing statement, Trump says he understands that his comments are drowning out everything else, and that he has become a distraction, and thus he is dropping out, and urges everyone to vote for Pence. Whether it works better to just leave the ticket in place, with the electors saying they will all vote for Pence, or to formally drop out, and litigate what appears on the ballot, and so forth, are mere details, for the wonks to work out.

I was about to say this is crazy, but then I realized that it's no more implausible than many things that have already happened in this election!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies