Important Food Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:22:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Important Food Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If you had to live without one of these food items, which would it be?
Burger & Fries
Pizza
Fried Chicken
Tacos
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Important Food Poll  (Read 3821 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »

Many dishes are named for a place or group of people. Spaghetti carbonara is spaghetti in the style of the charcoal makers, but you wouldn't have a clue that it is a bacon and egg topping from the name. Tacos arabes are tacos in the style of the Arabs. In some places that means they cook the meat on a spit like gyros. It can also be pork marinated with olive oil, parsley and other seasonings.

I'm totally clear on all that. 

I just can't figure out why pork, of all things, would be arabes.  It would be like having beef tacos called tacos a la india.  Or shellfish tacos called tacos judeos.  I guess it wouldn't have occurred to me to call them that anyway.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »

Many dishes are named for a place or group of people. Spaghetti carbonara is spaghetti in the style of the charcoal makers, but you wouldn't have a clue that it is a bacon and egg topping from the name. Tacos arabes are tacos in the style of the Arabs. In some places that means they cook the meat on a spit like gyros. It can also be pork marinated with olive oil, parsley and other seasonings.

I'm totally clear on all that. 

I just can't figure out why pork, of all things, would be arabes.  It would be like having beef tacos called tacos a la india.  Or shellfish tacos called tacos judeos.  I guess it wouldn't have occurred to me to call them that anyway.

From what I was told they started with the shawarma style of meat where they get the arab connection, but they like pork more than lamb so they changed the meat without thinking about the culture. I suppose it's like going to an Indian restaurant for beef vindaloo.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »

Not at all.  At least not to me.  Going to an indian restaurant for beef vindaloo doesn't strike me as being even remotely similar to calling, say, a roast beef sandwich from Arby's the Arby's All New Himalaya Special.  Given the gazillion words in the various tongues of the world, and effective marketing strategies, I think I could probably come up with something better and--even though I, like The Donald, loathe political correctness--something at least slightly more sensitive.  

That said, I do like the mention of Giuseppe in Arby's commercial.  Wink
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2016, 04:44:08 AM »

First of all, bruh, I speak fluent Spanish. I just don't like Mexican food, but I'm refusing to categorically rule it out until I try it in actual Mexico one day. That's all there is to it. I'm sorry if phrasing it as "I live in Ohio" was confusing.

Oh, if you don't like Mexican food, then okay. I'm sorry you feel that way. I took the comment to mean you live in white America and you can't find good Mexican food. I also wasn't trying to bring foreign language skills into the conversation here. I just meant that the best Mexican restaurants I've been to have the servers talk to you in English (from barely to fluent, depending on how long they've been in the US) and then they immediately go back to Spanish when talk to the cooks and whatnot.

Also, listen to Badger. I'm sure he could find you a great place that'll change your mind before you ever go to Mexico.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »

Tacos, easy choice.  Although I like them, I prefer the others.
Plankton5165

P
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »

Tacos, definitely, the items are like crumbs and they will fall off the bread, definitely not Fried Chicken compared to the four choices, Fried Chicken is my fav, especially the leg.

Most burgers are good burgers, and most pizzas are good pizzas.

For lunch today, I had a calzone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies