MO-SEN: Blunt stands by Trump, says he'll still vote for him
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:41:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-SEN: Blunt stands by Trump, says he'll still vote for him
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MO-SEN: Blunt stands by Trump, says he'll still vote for him  (Read 2527 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
« edited: October 08, 2016, 09:51:08 AM by heatcharger »

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/784756154442272768

Congratulations to Senator-elect Jason Kander!

You know, I wasn't buying the "Blunt is doomed" narrative on here, but now it seems like he's asking to lose.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »

This is Missouri which Trunp is likely to win regardless.

If anything I could see this helping Blunt.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

I highly doubt this will help him at all. If this was Alabama, I'd agree with you, but Missouri at least has some moral boundaries; see Todd Akin.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »

Blunt is a very poor candidate and I'm quite surprised that he managed to win by 13 points in 2010. However, Kander doesn't have this in the bag. Tossup for now.

Blunt is very much the definition of establishment Republican hatchet man. I'm almost surprised he even went for the Senate bid - he was very high in House leadership. I guess he was told he wouldn't be promoted any longer or something. These type of guys don't tend to do well statewide unless their state is so overwhelmingly Republican.

Blunt is the kind of guy you don't want to see in the daylight.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:48 AM »

Someone needs to poll this race, and actually release the poll.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »

I think sticking with Trump is the right move for Blunt. He needs their votes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »

At this point, Trump winning Missouri is not a given.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »

Looks like this is the moment I was talking about.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »

This won't help him, but I'm not sure it will hurt him much either.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »

I think this could hurt Blunt, since it limits his potential to win people who aren't voting for Trump. I really want to see a non-internal poll of this race.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »

Someone needs to poll this race, and actually release the poll.

haha there are tons of polls.. but none released.

Very irritating to me!

Anyway, I never said Blunt was doomed. Blunt Kander is a barn burner. Considering the temperament of Missourians, I would suspect Clinton would win it in a close one now. But we need to see what the debate tomorrow and next few weeks will be.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 04:47:47 PM by Fitzgerald »

You know, I don't claim to be a genius when it comes to political tactics, but after the smash success of Kander's blindfold ad last month I really don't think Blunt wants to be handing him ammo (ha) for more of them.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »

Great job Blunt. Like Ayotte, enjoy the last months in your seat.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 02:33:20 AM »

How Missouri is voting this year makes no sense. Blunt runs tons of ads stressing his ability to work across the aisle, that Kander and Clinton agree on every important issue, and that Kander was an inept SOS who had to be stopped by courts from manipulating elections on three separate occasions, and yet they run to the democrat because he can put together a gun blindfolded. As if that matters.

I'm not saying that Blunt can't win. But this really shouldn't even be close. Kander's an extremely partisan dem who will vote with Clinton 99% of the time. I have nothing against democrats as a whole - I've endorsed John Gregg, Ann Kirkpatrick, Pete Gallego, Chris Koster, Doug Owens, Patrick Murphy, and Ron Wyden this year among others. But Kander is way more partisan than any of them are, and does not deserve to be in the Senate.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »

Missouri is a state where Trump is still likely to win.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »

How Missouri is voting this year makes no sense. Blunt runs tons of ads stressing his ability to work across the aisle, that Kander and Clinton agree on every important issue, and that Kander was an inept SOS who had to be stopped by courts from manipulating elections on three separate occasions, and yet they run to the democrat because he can put together a gun blindfolded. As if that matters.

I'm not saying that Blunt can't win. But this really shouldn't even be close. Kander's an extremely partisan dem who will vote with Clinton 99% of the time. I have nothing against democrats as a whole - I've endorsed John Gregg, Ann Kirkpatrick, Pete Gallego, Chris Koster, Doug Owens, Patrick Murphy, and Ron Wyden this year among others. But Kander is way more partisan than any of them are, and does not deserve to be in the Senate.

Hopefully he joins Duckworth and McGinty in kicking out snakes like Kirk, Toomey, and Blunt.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »

IIRC, Blunt hasn't been outperforming Trump on the ballot by that much, while Kander is prominently leaping over Clinton. Even if she doesn't win the state, a subpar output for Trump could end up undermining Blunt and propelling Kander into the seat. Keeping the Trump supporters on his good side is Blunt's least bad option here, but if Trump ends up underperforming Romney's numbers in Missouri (which looks pretty damn likely at this point), he's toast anyway.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

Because MUH GUNS! MUH GUNS IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »

Because MUH GUNS! MUH GUNS IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!

But apparently Kander's F rating from the NRA doesn't.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »

It's pretty laughable that Wulfric prefers Blunt to Kander because Kander is "too partisan". Don't get me wrong, Kander will probably be a pretty standard Democrat in the Senate but because of the state he'll represent, he'll at least have to pay some lip service to "moderate types" (whatever that means nowadays), which I'd think that someone like Wulfric would love. Blunt, on the other hand, is the definition of a partisan hack bought out by special interests; how can you say "VOTE OUT ALL CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS" and still back an ex-Minority Whip? That doesn't even make sense.

A Hillary Clinton national campaign chairman (yes, Kander is literally that) that has little to no actual policy differences with her aside from the Iran Deal is not a moderate in any sense of the word. Plus, he does his current job poorly, why promote him?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »

Well I can see 4 reasons:
- Rural democrats: there is a non negligeable chunk of voters who were previously democrats but have  become republicans because of immigration, guns etc.
- Hillary Clinton isn't the MO democrat senate nominee, even if her approval rating rose recently (around -10 instead of -20 before), she's still unpopular, and even more in a conservative leaning state.
- Blunt: He seems to have a run a terrible campaign, he's clearly associated with establishment (and in this year this is bad news) and he seems to be so unlikable.
-Jason Kander:no matter what you can think of him, he's a strong campaigner, his ad with guns was particularly smart for example.

Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »

It's pretty laughable that Wulfric prefers Blunt to Kander because Kander is "too partisan". Don't get me wrong, Kander will probably be a pretty standard Democrat in the Senate but because of the state he'll represent, he'll at least have to pay some lip service to "moderate types" (whatever that means nowadays), which I'd think that someone like Wulfric would love. Blunt, on the other hand, is the definition of a partisan hack bought out by special interests; how can you say "VOTE OUT ALL CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS" and still back an ex-Minority Whip? That doesn't even make sense.

A Hillary Clinton national campaign chairman (yes, Kander is literally that) that has little to no actual policy differences with her aside from the Iran Deal is not a moderate in any sense of the word. Plus, he does his current job poorly, why promote him?

That's an interesting theory coming from someone living in Minnesota.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 08:02:29 PM »

Running out of ballots during the presidential primary and having to be stopped by courts from manipulating elections on three separate occasions is not evidence of doing a good job.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »

Running out of ballots during the presidential primary and having to be stopped by courts from manipulating elections on three separate occasions is not evidence of doing a good job.
Blunt even made an ad about it.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 03:01:07 AM »

"Go Blunt! We must show America that Kanderism is not the answer!!!"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length