Do you WANT Trump to drop out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you WANT Trump to drop out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you want Trump to drop out?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Do you WANT Trump to drop out?  (Read 2332 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »

Disregarding whether or not you think he actually will drop out, do you want him to drop out?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »

no. I want the GOP to face the consequences of who they voted for and nominated.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »

Yes. He is a danger to the country, and whoever replaces him has no chance of beating Hillary because millions of his pissed off supporters will stay home.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

NO
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »

Do I think there's any chance - even a tiny one - that he could actually win?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »

Do I think there's any chance - even a tiny one - that he could actually win?

yes. it will haunt my dreams at night, I'm sure.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:52:04 PM »

The GOP made him happen and they need to deal with the consequences.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 10:57:16 PM »

No because he's making Hillary look positively angelic.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:59:14 PM »

I keep hearing this like the party is a monolith that can control the primaries. A large number of disciplined, seasoned candidates challenged him to no avail. Any number of times neverTrumpers spoke out and even spent money to try to change the trajectory. Outside of cancelling the primaries and having states just pick slates of delegates at state conventions, what could they have done to not "make him happen"?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 11:02:03 PM »

I keep hearing this like the party is a monolith that can control the primaries. A large number of disciplined, seasoned candidates challenged him to no avail. Any number of times neverTrumpers spoke out and even spent money to try to change the trajectory. Outside of cancelling the primaries and having states just pick slates of delegates at state conventions, what could they have done to not "make him happen"?

They could have started by distancing themselves from the fear-mongering nationalist alt-right, and the associated racists, misogynists, and gun fetishists, long ago before that movement gained steam and a sense of legitimacy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 11:02:25 PM »

They could have not pandered to and enabled the sort of rhetoric he espoused.

Have you forgotten when Mitch McConnell and other elected officials refused to explicitly state that Barack Obama was born in the US and disavow the birther movement?

I don't recall any elected GOP candidates ever condemning the racist signs that were often present at Tea Party rallies.

I don't recall the GOP ever rebuking any of the outright falsehoods that have been circulating in the Right's fever swamps, like that Obama was going to kill old people with "death panels" or take away everyone's guns.

The GOP has allowed an environment to flourish where facts don't matter and coached its voters to instinctively hate government and "the Establishment." Only they didn't realize that that hatred would eventually grow so strong that it would turn on them too.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:52 PM »

Oh. It's easy.

Your party has fanned the flames of immigration-fear, the party has rolled over to the Tea Party and supported anti-intellectualism, denial of science and evidence in its policy making. The #nevertrumps were never going to gain ground before this, because the lunatics are already well in control of the Asylum. Last time I checked, you rolled over didn't you?

Trump is a natural consequence of that trajectory. Short-term political benefit often come with long-term electoral pain, especially when ACTIVELY catering to an increasingly narrow electorate.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »

No. The GOP nominated him, after all. All those record-setting primary votes, right? Wink
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:28 PM »

No. I want the GOP to face the consequences of who they voted for and nominated.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 11:07:14 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 11:12:58 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You are personally responsible for Trump: you endorsed him when you had the option to disavow him. Why did you endorse him? If I am recalling this correctly, you endorsed him because of his stances on welfare/entitlements.

You reap what you sow. I feel no sympathy for you or your shameful, disgusting political party. I'll never forget that Republicans never disowned Trump because of what he said about my family or Muslims; no, they disowned him out of political expedience and/or because he said a naughty word.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »

I echo the sentiments of those that think the GOP should be forced to see the consequences of what they've wrought come to fruition. But at the same time, at this point the more entertaining thing to watch would be their mad scramble to try to replace him, and I don't see that improving their chances against Hillary much. So I'm not worried about Trump dropping out and I'd be fine with either outcome.
kyc0705

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »

NO THIS IS SO ENTERTAINING
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »

You are personally responsible for Trump: you endorsed him when you had the option to disavow him. Why did you endorse him? If I am recalling this correctly, you endorsed him because of his stances on welfare/entitlements.

You reap what you sow.

You've said that before, but I am not aware of any such endorsement. I endorsed Rubio in the primary and reported on that in threads related to the IA caucuses.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:40 PM »

Trump has nothing to do with actual conservatism, fiscal or social or anything else.  The people who cared about guns, abortion, taxes, regulations, etc. did not vote for Trump.

Trump represents the end of the American right as we know it.  Liberals no longer have to worry about the repeal of Roe v. Wade or right-wing economics.  Now its all about nationalist populism.  America is becoming like Europe.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »

No. The plurality of primary voters nominated him. Plus, I hope recent and unfolding events will lead to his humiliation on the 8th, so neither him nor anyone like him will ever be nominated again.

I hope, in the long run, that what gave the Sanders and Trump campaigns a string share of their impetus, a refusal to accept our political status quo, will bear positive fruit and move the political needle in years to come.  Trump was always absolutely the wrong person to fulfill such hopes. I want him to stand for election, suffer a drubbing, and this will hopefully motivate people who want changes that will improve their lives to rally behind better candidates. I'm not optimistic something like this will happen in the near future, but I'll hope for it anyway.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 11:17:24 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 11:25:56 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You reap what you sow.

You've said that before, but I am not aware of any such endorsement. I endorsed Rubio in the primary and reported on that in threads related to the IA caucuses.

You're being evasive: I am not referring to the GOP primary, I am referring to the general election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/notable-illinois-republicans-to-skip-convention;-security-beefed-up/1430839/
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:10 PM »

You reap what you sow.

You're being evasive: I am not referring to the GOP primary, I am referring to the general election.

I've never endorsed in the general election. I attended the RNC as an at-large alternate delegate and cast no votes there. I reported here on what I saw there, but those none of those reports were an endorsement.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »

The GOP knew who he was and what his character was like before the convention. They could have stepped in, but they didn't. It's time they reap what they were sowing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 11:27:12 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2016, 11:28:46 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You reap what you sow.

I've never endorsed in the general election. I attended the RNC as an at-large alternate delegate and cast no votes there. I reported here on what I saw there, but those none of those reports were an endorsement.

Come on man, we all know that you support(ed?) Donald Trump in the general election. I mean, what else is "party unity" supposed to mean? There's no need to be evasive. Regardless, why did you attend the RNC if you knew what the outcome was going to be? If you were opposed to Trump, why didn't you walk out?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »

You reap what you sow.

Come on man, we all know that you support(ed?) Donald Trump in the general election. I mean, what else is "party unity" supposed to mean? There's no need to be evasive. Regardless, why did you attend the RNC if you knew what the outcome was going to be? If you were opposed to Trump, why didn't you walk out?

That's a pretty asinine remark. Why would someone walk out just because they oppose the nomination? That's not how conventions work.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies