Opinion of "Fiscally conservative, but socially liberal"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "Fiscally conservative, but socially liberal"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Freedom ideology or horrible ideology?
FI

HI

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Opinion of "Fiscally conservative, but socially liberal"  (Read 3758 times)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »

What "interesting ideas" do you get out of nihilism, Murica? Genuinely curious.
The total rejection of morality, extreme individualism etc.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

What is it you find interesting about that? In what way does it nourish your philosophical perspective?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »

What is it you find interesting about that? In what way does it nourish your philosophical perspective?
They are positions similar to my own, taken in a different direction, that makes them, at the very least, interesting if nothing else.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2016, 01:08:30 PM »

They are positions similar to my own, taken in a different direction, that makes them, at the very least, interesting if nothing else.

I guess. Then you'll forgive me if I fail to find any value in this kind of trite, edgy, self-absorbed bullsh*t.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »

I guess. Then you'll forgive me if I fail to find any value in this kind of trite, edgy, self-absorbed bullsh*t.
That's basically the definition of presupposed belief right there.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »

Didn't you just admit that your reason for finding it interesting is presupposed belief? Huh
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »

Didn't you just admit that your reason for finding it interesting is presupposed belief? Huh
No, I find almost all philosophy interesting even if I disagree with it(a good example are the Stoics, who I believe were wrong on near enough everything, yet I still find interesting and do not reject out of hand) and simply find Nihilism to be a bit closer to heart to my current beliefs.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »

The only freedom ideology.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »

No, I find almost all philosophy interesting even if I disagree with it(a good example are the Stoics, who I believe were wrong on near enough everything, yet I still find interesting and do not reject out of hand) and simply find Nihilism to be a bit closer to heart to my current beliefs.

There are plenty of philosophies I find very interesting even if I disagree with them (existentialism would be a good example, actually). Nihilism is not one of them. I don't see any value in it whatsoever, and, despite my explicit invitation, you have failed to convince me otherwise.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »

I don't see any value in it whatsoever, and, despite my explicit invitation, you have failed to convince me otherwise.
I was not here to convince you otherwise, you were the only one wishing to, yet knowing full well that you refuse to be convinced of anything. If you cannot see the merit of an idea, as an idea in of itself, then I cannot force you to see it, particularly when I am both not familiar enough with said idea and do not truly believe in what I am arguing for.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »

Are you actually arguing that all ideas are valuable "in and of themselves"? Oooooooooh boy...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »

Sh#t's gotten way too deep. Back off, y'all. What's so harmful about finding anything particularly repugnant interesting? We have movies about the lives of serial killers, for God's sake.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »

Are you actually arguing that all ideas are valuable "in and of themselves"? Oooooooooh boy...
Sigh...

No, I am not.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »

Nice to read that many people in the First World dislike the "fiscally conservative, socially liberal"

In 2007, Brazilian political scientist Alberto Carlos Almeida wrote the book "A Cabeça do Brasileiro" (The mind of the Brazilian). This book presents the results of some opinion polls who found out that Brazilians who have only Elementary Degree are usually "fiscally leftist, socially conservative" and Brazilians who have College Degree are usually "fiscally conservative, socially liberal". Since the author considers that "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" are the good ideas, and "fiscally leftist, socially conservative" are the bad ideas, he reached a conclusion that if more Brazilians have college degree, they will have better ideas.
The problem of this book is: the author didn't explain very well why "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" are the best ideas.
RHTFT
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.50, S: -3.83

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »

Tilt HI, but MUCH better than its inverse (fiscally liberal, socially conservative).
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

The most freedom-y of freedom ideologies.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »

I've always preferred Western Ukraine to Eastern Ukraine, so I'll say FF.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2016, 12:00:10 AM »

Better then Fiscally liberal but Socially conservative, but still HI.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2016, 05:02:20 AM »

The best ever.

Government has an obligation to live within its means and not handing over a huge deficit to the next generation. I believe in government efficiency and fiscal solvency. Spending money you don't have doesn't work on a long-term basis. Going into the red is only appropriated in a deep recession to stimulate the economy again on a temporary basis. On the other hand, I believe in social tolerance. Government should not dictate people who to love and women what to do with their health. Immigration is largely an enrichment for a country as long as it remains properly regulated. The real obligation the government has with this regard is taking care that everyone is treated equally. Everyone should live the way he/she wants as long as it does not affect others in a negative way.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »

The best ever.

Government has an obligation to live within its means and not handing over a huge deficit to the next generation. I believe in government efficiency and fiscal solvency. Spending money you don't have doesn't work on a long-term basis. Going into the red is only appropriated in a deep recession to stimulate the economy again on a temporary basis. On the other hand, I believe in social tolerance. Government should not dictate people who to love and women what to do with their health. Immigration is largely an enrichment for a country as long as it remains properly regulated. The real obligation the government has with this regard is taking care that everyone is treated equally. Everyone should live the way he/she wants as long as it does not affect others in a negative way.

At least in the United States, I don't think that's what it really means ... it more or less means you support the social policies of the Democrats more often than not (specifically on hot button cultural issues) and the economic policies of the GOP more often than not (which, as folks have pointed out time after time, are not always true fiscal conservatism as it pertains to budgets), specifically deregulation and tax cuts.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »

The best ever.

At least in the United States, I don't think that's what it really means ... it more or less means you support the social policies of the Democrats more often than not (specifically on hot button cultural issues) and the economic policies of the GOP more often than not (which, as folks have pointed out time after time, are not always true fiscal conservatism as it pertains to budgets), specifically deregulation and tax cuts.

Yeah. People too often confuse this with Libertarianism. Social Libertarianism is very different from American Social Liberalism. You'd be hard pressed to find a Social Liberal who is committed to upholding gun rights, the 10th amendment, and ending affirmative action.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »

The best ever.

Yeah. People too often confuse this with Libertarianism. Social Libertarianism is very different from American Social Liberalism. You'd be hard pressed to find a Social Liberal who is committed to upholding gun rights, the 10th amendment, and ending affirmative action.

What my definition of fiscal conservatism is, that you advocate balanced budgets. But there are different ways and opinions how to achieve it. It does not mean a laissez-faire economic policy or tax cuts for the rich and large corporations. Or, for example, stuff like "let the market decide on renewable energy", because I believe in climate chance and the necessity to act on it.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2016, 02:48:07 AM »

FI. That's what I am.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies