Opinion of no-fault divorce
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of no-fault divorce
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Divorce

Horrible Divorce

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Opinion of no-fault divorce  (Read 1199 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »

Obviously a great thing, and an important advancement in both women's rights and children's rights. It's disgusting to me that people is today's society believe that divorce is something that should be condemned.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »

While divorce isn't usually great in a relationship involving children, allowing no-fault is obviously far superior to the alternative.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »

anybody voting horrible going to try and defend the option?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »

While divorce isn't usually great in a relationship involving children, allowing no-fault is obviously far superior to the alternative.

Pretty much this. The best argument in favor of permitting no-fault divorce is that the alternative has been an unmitigated disaster.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2016, 04:11:05 PM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

Pretty much this. The best argument in favor of permitting no-fault divorce is that the alternative has been an unmitigated disaster.

I'd agree with this, adding only that the fact that having no-fault divorce is so much better than the alternative is itself a massive indictment of human society and human relationships, especially of the way men so often behave when they have a woman legally obliged to them. Voted Horrible Divorce for that reason, but I don't actually think we should do away with it (sane). I sincerely hope the other people who've voted HD can broadly agree with that.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »

All divorce is horrible divorce.  But, no-fault divorce has created the idea in our culture that marriage doesn't have to be permanent.  This has led to less commitment on the part of spouses and the decline in family values.  We need to stop with this culture that accepts one-night stands, casual sex, and divorce without a valid reason!!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:19 PM »

'Sexual compatibility' always struck me as a somewhat odd concept, or at least an odd thing to prioritize from the get-go, considering that sex is the sort of thing that a person or a couple can get better at, whereas other ingredients to a successful marriage, such as commitment, are quite a bit closer to 'do or do not, there is no try' territory. Still not in it, but closer.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »

An important right.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »

Vis-a-vis the "it's the 21st century!" talk, is it so unimaginable that *that very mindset* and the ensuing legislation is a *reason* norms were allowed to change? On the other hand, if you want to assert that certain economic and social structures shifted *before* the changes in social norms did, I'd be willing to listen.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »

Divorce is generally horrible so....

However, No-fault divorce should be allowed and be legal.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »

Divorce is horrible, but it's not like we can force people to stay together or still "want" the governmental benefits.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »

All divorce is horrible divorce.  But, no-fault divorce has created the idea in our culture that marriage doesn't have to be permanent.  This has led to less commitment on the part of spouses and the decline in family values.  We need to stop with this culture that accepts one-night stands, casual sex, and divorce without a valid reason!!

It's time for you to grow up and leave your little fantasy world. To maintain a stable marriage in the 21st Century, people have to know if they're compatible with their partner sexually before making a long term commitment to them. Marriage shouldn't have to be permanent, and anyone who thinks so is a regressive nutcase stuck in the 19th Century. Women are not the property of their husbands, as much as you'd love for them to be. They should not be forced to stay in a marriage they don't want to be in any more. Period. Lastly, casual sex is a wonderful thing that should be encouraged, not suppressed. The world needs more sex, not less.

That's totally wrong and what extreme republican is true , though the government should not enforce that
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »

There's been a pretty big culture shift from your responsibilities characterizing your life to your pleasure characterizing it instead. No-fault divorce is an extension of that culture. If there's infidelity, abuse of any kind, etc., you won't have an issue dissolving a marriage contact. Really, my opposition is almost entirely to do with childrearing. Families, children are responsibilities that come first in life.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »

There's been a pretty big culture shift from your responsibilities characterizing your life to your pleasure characterizing it instead. No-fault divorce is an extension of that culture.

I don't disagree, I just think that attempting to put this particular aspect of the genie back in the bottle would lead to YUGE problems elsewhere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2016, 10:21:41 PM by Jante's Law Revivalist »

I really don't think that the most serious problems to which no-fault divorce provides a (far from ideal, but necessary) solution are specific to any historical period or cultural context.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »

It should obviously be allowed, while it's sad that some marriages end in divorce, if the couple simply can't stay together there is no reason to discourage it, or blame the couple.

I understand it may be a good idea to discourage divorce for couples with kids, though casual divorce shouldn't matter for couples without kids.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2016, 12:27:10 AM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

I really don't think that the most serious problems to which no-fault divorce provides a (far from ideal, but necessary) solution are specific to any historical period or cultural context.

I haven't been trying to imply that they are, although it's possible that ExtremeRepublican and Potus have.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:06 PM »

Kind of defeats the entire point of marriage to begin with. May as well just call it cohabitational rights or something. Not that government should be able to ban people from it, on a personal level I certainly disagree with it.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »

Yep this is spot on I agree
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

This is clearly better then the alternative
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »

Its introduction led to a substantial decline in domestic violence and suicide among women.  Divorce by itself isn't a 'good' thing, but it's important that people have it as an option.

The government shouldn't be in the business of regulating who you fck in the first place, anyway.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

Basically positive, of course (that's not to say I would celebrate the divorce of someone close to me). To say otherwise is to defy basic human nature in that monogamous marriage is unnatural.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07:18 PM »

"Better than the alternative" in certain respects, but defenders need to take reducing single parent childrearing arrangements more seriously given the massive evidence that it is harmful to children. If people fifty years ago knew that single parenthood would become the norm for adults without college degrees by today, I doubt that social change would have proceeded as it did.

"The norm"? Surely that's got to be hyperbole... right?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »

That graph is only about mothers who never graduated high school, not the effects of divorce in general.  This was covered as part of my very tedious "Marriage and Families" class in college a year and a half ago, and the material we read said that researchers concluded that divorce generally affects children only up to a certain point and then their difficulties subside as they adjust to the new normal.  I don't have the literature or cited studies at hand anymore, unfortunately.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »

"Better than the alternative" in certain respects, but defenders need to take reducing single parent childrearing arrangements more seriously given the massive evidence that it is harmful to children. If people fifty years ago knew that single parenthood would become the norm for adults without college degrees by today, I doubt that social change would have proceeded as it did.

"The norm"? Surely that's got to be hyperbole... right?

Sadly, it is not:

...OK yeah, that's seriously depressing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies