Why aren't Black Lives Matter disrupting Columbus Day parades?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:37:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why aren't Black Lives Matter disrupting Columbus Day parades?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why aren't Black Lives Matter disrupting Columbus Day parades?  (Read 1839 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »

Because seriously, they are basically white nationalist parades and the biggest display of white privilege ever.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

I'm guessing because nobody cares about Columbus Day parades.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 02:35:09 PM »

Stop posting bigoted remarks. The topic has been explained to you, and you repeatedly choose willful ignorance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »

Stop posting bigoted remarks. The topic has been explained to you, and you repeatedly choose willful ignorance.

Why did no one explain it to the Minneapolis City Council? Or the Phoenix one this year, the latest City to abolish Columbus Day in favor of Indigenous People Day.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2016, 02:58:35 PM by Fitzgerald »

1) Fine talk coming from a Trumpshirt.
2) Girl, what?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 03:31:37 PM »

Because their organization has a laser focus on black issues, which doesn't include Colombus Day.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »

Lily-white boy from a lily-white state complains about white privilege. Posters not sure if satire or not. More at 11.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘/sjkqw is always trolling
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »

Lily-white boy from a lily-white state complains about white privilege. Posters not sure if satire or not. More at 11.

His birth town is darker than the Bronx, ain't you able to read, hon? Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure Native American groups protest already heavily against Columbus Day. There just aren't that many of them for obvious reasons.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2016, 04:48:14 PM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

Because their organization has a laser focus on black issues, which doesn't include Colombus Day.

Yeah, if we did what some historians have suggested and replaced it with a day celebrating Bartolomé de las Casas, blacks would actually have more direct cause for complaint:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 04:28:04 PM »

And here I thought the yearly tradition of BRTD bitching about Columbus Day was over.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »

Yeah, if we did what some historians have suggested and replaced with with a day celebrating Bartolomé de las Casas, blacks would actually have more direct cause for complaint:

That was the first Borges story I ever read. Very good piece.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

I'm guessing because nobody cares about Columbus Day parades.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 05:10:20 PM »

Yeah, if we did what some historians have suggested and replaced it with a day celebrating Bartolomé de las Casas, blacks would actually have more direct cause for complaint:

tbf, Casas changed his mind on this once African slavery actually came to North America iirc.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »

Columbus Day parades, at least where I am, are basically just Italian Heritage Day Parades and include few references to Columbus or his "accomplishments." While I agree the holiday should be outlawed, your outraged at the parades, simply a celebration of a certain ethnic group, is unjustified and absurd. Maybe we could rename the holiday for an Italian who did stuff, like Mussolini Da Vinci or someone? Then the Italians can still celebrate, and the bad holiday will be gone. On AAD you even linked to an article which seemed to cite that it was a "white nationalist" parade - the article only talked about people celebrating their Italian heritage. Of course, in your response to me you completely missed the point and chastised me on one word I said, as always. *sigh* You never change, BRTD. You really never do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »

Columbus Day parades, at least where I am, are basically just Italian Heritage Day Parades and include few references to Columbus or his "accomplishments." While I agree the holiday should be outlawed, your outraged at the parades, simply a celebration of a certain ethnic group, is unjustified and absurd. Maybe we could rename the holiday for an Italian who did stuff, like Mussolini Da Vinci or someone? Then the Italians can still celebrate, and the bad holiday will be gone. On AAD you even linked to an article which seemed to cite that it was a "white nationalist" parade - the article only talked about people celebrating their Italian heritage. Of course, in your response to me you completely missed the point and chastised me on one word I said, as always. *sigh* You never change, BRTD. You really never do.

But using Columbus Day as a point of Italian-American heritage is stupid. Columbus is a very dubious example of an Italian just as much as he is a morally dubious person for one. Waving an Italian flag at a Columbus Day parade makes no sense since Italy wasn't the country he was working for and didn't even exist at the time, that flag was meaningless.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »

I didn't even realize it was Columbus Day until this.  It has literally zero impact on anyone's life.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »

I didn't even realize it was Columbus Day until this.  It has literally zero impact on anyone's life.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »

tbf, Casas changed his mind on this once African slavery actually came to North America iirc.

He did, yeah. Borges probably should have mentioned that.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 01:15:12 AM »

Honestly, it should be Bartolome de las Casas Day, or something like that.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:55 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2016, 12:46:50 AM by Lyin' Steve »

1)  Columbus Day is more about the discovery of the continent than anything else Columbus did.  The discovery of an entire new world, one of the most significant events of the last 1000 years, is worth celebrating.  Nobody's running around celebrating the way he treated the indians.  It's day #1 of America.  Just like July 4 is about celebrating the birth of the nation and not whining about how some poor tories got lynched.
2)  This whole notion of holding historical figures to modern standards is getting really tiresome.  Soon they'll want to get rid of presidents day because Washington had slaves and Lincoln had both a public and a private position.
3)  We already celebrate the native americans on Thanksgiving.
4)  Suggesting we replace Columbus Day with some sort of minority group heritage day or celebration of a minor historical figure (usually selected to represent a particular minority group rather than magnitude of significance/accomplishment) is lame.
5)  Just stop, not everything has to be a controversy, nobody cares that much about Columbus Day.  Yet because it's such a boring, nondescript holiday, every columnist jumps to write about the "controversy" for lack of better topics, even though it's stupid.
6)  If you're gonna replace it with something, replace it with a day celebrating the moon landing.  That's an equivalently significant event and everyone can get behind it, until someone starts whining about how Buzz Aldrin was a Republican.  Too bad it's July 20, a poor date for a federal holiday, though.

It reminds me of all those people who write about how Valentine's Day is killing your self-esteem and "things to do when you're single on valentine's day" and "should we change valentine's day to be less offensive to ugly guys who can't get a girlfriend" articles that people write because they don't want to write the standard "6 ways to surprise your lover" puff pieces.  Not every holiday needs to be controversial.  Not every opinion needs to be edgy and nonconformist.  Not every column needs to be open-minded and revealing of the dark undercurrent of whatever.  Our holidays are fine.  Stop trying to pretend they're not to score clicks or edginess points.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:57 AM »

1)  Columbus Day is more about the discovery of the continent than anything else Columbus did.  The discovery of an entire new world, one of the most significant events of the last 1000 years, is worth celebrating.  Nobody's running around celebrating the way he treated the indians.  It's day #1 of America.  Just like July 4 is about celebrating the birth of the nation and not whining about how some poor tories got lynched.
2)  This whole notion of holding historical figures to modern standards is getting really tiresome.  Soon they'll want to get rid of presidents day because Washington had slaves and Lincoln had both a public and a private position.
3)  We already celebrate the native americans on Thanksgiving.
4)  Suggesting we replace Columbus Day with some sort of minority group heritage day or celebration of a minor historical figure (usually selected to represent a particular minority group rather than magnitude of significance/accomplishment) is lame.
5)  Just stop, not everything has to be a controversy, nobody cares that much about Columbus Day.  Yet because it's such a boring, nondescript holiday, every columnist jumps to write about the "controversy" for lack of better topics, even though it's stupid.
6)  If you're gonna replace it with something, replace it with a day celebrating the moon landing.  That's an equivalently significant event and everyone can get behind it, until someone starts whining about how Buzz Aldrin was a Republican.  Too bad it's July 20, a poor date for a federal holiday, though.

It reminds me of all those people who write about how Valentine's Day is killing your self-esteem and "things to do when you're single on valentine's day" and "should we change valentine's day to be less offensive to ugly guys who can't get a girlfriend" articles that people write because they don't want to write the standard "6 ways to surprise your lover" puff pieces.  Not every holiday needs to be controversial.  Not every opinion needs to be edgy and nonconformist.  Not every column needs to be open-minded and revealing of the dark undercurrent of whatever.  Our holidays are fine.  Stop trying to pretend they're not to score clicks or edginess points.

Translation: I need an excuse to not think critically about the world around me so I can feel guilt-free.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »

because who care
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Typical attitude towards the causes of Native Americans.  But a little surprising coming from you, who seems to champion the causes of marginalized groups.

I stand by it:  Native Americans are the most oppressed and mistreated group of people in the United States.  By a long shot.  And it is the dismissal of their historical and continued suffering by pretty much everybody else except those who live near or in those communities that keeps progress firmly under boot.

Black Lives Matters has a lot on their plate as it is.  I don't fault them for not pushing this.  They are fighting to end oppression and endemic poverty, substance abuse, suicide, and lack of opportunity... which are common causes for both blacks and Natives alike.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies